Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Frankenstorm Sandy - You Prepared?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tanvil View Post
    Battened down a few hatches today, and battened em down again, we'll teach those hatches.

Submersible pumps and generators are at the ready.

Mustered a sandbag filling crew before the rain started. Not nearly enough but it was quick and efficient. This is an area that has seen some rough storms and most understand how much can happen in a short amount of time.

Most of the elderly have plans to stay with family till it's over. Some will stay.

At best I'll get alot of rain and wind. At worst, well, I've seen cars and houses float away. I have one truck loaded w/ tools to go to work like normal and one loaded as a bug out vehicle.

I wonder which one I'll need.
    Heather and I are praying for you JT. Any other Gunco folks in the path, please take care, and God be with you.

BB, you're right. I imagine if urban areas are hit hard, then there will be plenty of looting, especially from MUY's. Instead of "help thy neighbor", it's "steal from thy neighbor".
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yep, and considering the mass evacuation orders there are whole neighborhoods that are emptied out. The lowlifes are just hiding out waiting for the people to leave and soon as the storm passes there will be mass residential burglaries and looting of businesses. Since electricity will probably be down then it is a free for all as far as burglary and looting is concerned (as in no alarms). Besides, cops will be too busy to chase away criminals.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Gangs Plan Hurricane Looting Spree Via Twitter

Infowars.com
    October 29, 2012

Scores of Twitter users have flooded the social networking site announcing their plans to go on looting sprees once Hurricane Sandy makes landfall, as the New York National Guard announced it would put troops on duty in Long Island to prevent such activity.

1,175 New York National Guard troops have been mobilized to “provide command and control and logistical support” in New York City, Long Island, the Hudson Valley and the Southern Tier. According to NBC New York, the troops will also be on hand to “protect against looting.”

They might well be needed given the fact that a deluge of Twitter users are using the website to appeal to others to join them in exploiting the chaos generated by the superstorm to ransack stores.

Given the recent phenomenon of “flash mob robberies,” where groups of people arrange to burgle a store en masse in order to overwhelm security and staff, the tweets should be taken seriously. Last year police warned that flash mob robberies, organized mainly through Twitter, were on the rise.

Examples of tweets from individuals planning to go on looting sprees include the following;

“Bout to do some looting when this hurricane finally hits….gonna get a new laptop and tv…this hurricane might be the best thing to happen.” (SOURCE)

“If this hurricane gets real bad I’m looting stores ! i always wanted to do that.” (SOURCE)

“I’m gonna go looting once this hurricane hits Utica.” (SOURCE)

“Has #HurricaneSandy made landfall yet? My bitch ass is ready to go looting!” (SOURCE)

“helllll yeah I’m gonna go looting after the storm hits.” (SOURCE)

“Who wants to go looting with me when Sandy hits?! I need some new shit! (SOURCE)

Read more examples below.

» Gangs Plan Hurricane Looting Spree Via Twitter Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I hope the people just shoot the looters---throw them in the middle of the street with the rest of the trash. Maybe the receding waters will take them out to sea!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Looters ‘swipe’ up the mess in chaos zones

By REBECCA HARSHBARGER, FRANK ROSARIO and JOSH SAUL Last Updated: 3:46 AM, October 31, 2012 Posted: 12:39 AM, October 31, 2012
    James Messerschmidt

SMASH AND GRAB: A woman appears to be making off with "kicks" at Mello Magic Sneakers on Rockaway Beach Boulevard yesterday.

Hurricane Sandy brought out the worst yesterday in some sleazy New Yorkers, who looted stores and homes across the city.

Some posed as Con Ed workers to dupe their victims.

Police arrested more than a dozen looters in the Rockaways and Coney Island, which had been evacuated, and stood guard outside ravaged stores at the South Street Seaport.

“This morning when they told us the water receded, I walked back to the house to feed [my pets],” said Eric Martine, 33, a cabby who lives in Brooklyn’s Gerritsen Beach. “Guys were looting, pretending they were Con Ed and holding people up. It was sick.”

Residents said police warned them to beware of crooks pretending to be utility workers.

Cops fanned out yesterday to deal with looters around the city.

“We will not tolerate these scumbags looting. We will arrest them on sight,” said a police source.

The storm knocked out the plate-glass windows of several Seaport stores, and piggish punks took full advantage of the unguarded merchandise.

“I saw two people walking by the Ann Taylor store and reach in and take some shirts that were just laying right there by the mannequin,” said one man. “It’s really messed up, man. They’re really taking advantage.”

Looters also grabbed gadgets from a nearby Brookstone before cops arrived to stand guard.

In the Rockaways, lowlifes were sneaking into clothing stores and cleaning out pizzerias.

Two men and a woman were arrested for robbing a BP gas station on Beach Channel Drive, three men and one woman were cuffed for pillaging a Radio Shack on Beach 88th Street, and two people were arrested for raiding a clothing store near Beach 86th Street, cops said.

Stores were emptied along a two-block stretch of Mermaid Avenue in Coney Island. Seven people were busted.

“Almost everything is gone,” said store owner Mirza Baig. “We want to reopen but we don’t know how.”

Looters raid stores and homes including some who pose as Con Ed workers to rob their victims in aftermath of Hurricane Sandy in New York City - NYPOST.com

Black Blade: It was inevitable I think. Note that after the tsunami in Japan there wasn't any looting reported. Different cultures though and most prevalent in the US inner cities where an entirely different culture where people of a different mindset live apart from most normal Americans.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

There's A Mass Exodus Of Manhattanites Heading Uptown In Search Of Food And Cellphone Power

Rob Wile
    Oct. 30, 2012, 1:38 PM

Power remains cutoff in lower Manhattan, and no one knows when it will turn back on.

So a mass exodus has begun uptown in search of two things: food, and battery power.

My power in Chelsea went out around 8:30 pm last night.

Luckily, my phone was charged up enough to make it through this morning.

But it started flagging around 10 am.

So I began trudging up First Avenue in search of battery power — and if possible, Wifi.

Along the way, I spotted the one bodega open in the whole area — with a huge line of people waiting to get food:

I soon realized I was being flanked by about a dozen other downtown sojourners.

We eventually came across a Chase bank on Second Avenue, where a kind soul had purchased a an outlet strip he'd plugged into a wall that was powering five phones (and one laptop).

I was able to upload my East Side photos, but there were at least a half-dozen (very anxious) folks waiting in line behind me.

Similar scenes have since been reported elsewhere — here's a snap from the NYT's Brian Stelter:

So I started heading back uptown and noticed there were lines out the door at any restaurant with its doors open.

Here's he line at a Bread Factory on Lexington and 62nd Street:

Rob Wile for Business Insider

The general scene is one of dazed frustration — knowing that Manhattan had it way easier than other places, but still not sure what's supposed to happen next.

Full Story: http://www.businessinside...wn-2012-10#ixzz2AsC3hDDs

Black Blade: Desperation will set in for those unprepared souls as they wait for "help" from the government or whoever.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    Heather and I are praying for you JT. Any other Gunco folks in the path, please take care, and God be with you.

BB, you're right. I imagine if urban areas are hit hard, then there will be plenty of looting, especially from MUY's. Instead of "help thy neighbor", it's "steal from thy neighbor".
    Thanks for the prayers... They worked.

We are well prepped for some really bad storms and long term shutdowns but the only way to prep for what hit NJ and NY is to not be there when it hits.

Prepping to bug out is also critical. If Sandy had set it's sights on the Chesapeake, I would have left days in advance. When I bugged out from Isabel, the waves were breaking on the side of my house. The wife, 2 young girls and 2 pit bulls.

I can't say enough good things about the Reliance Power Transfer Switch.
    If you are dragging cords through the back door for your generator, you need to look into this.
    It's almost like a small sub-panel. It has six circuits that wire indirectly to your homes circuit breakers. The way they connect makes it so the power can't backfeed the line. You just plug the generator into 1 plug on the side of your house, flip the breakers on the transfer switch and use the lights and outlets like normal. No more six-way outlets laying on the counter.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Live Updates - NY/NJ Gas Shortages: Mile-Long Lines, Rationing, Fights, Police Draw Guns

There are very long gas lines - I haven't seen anything like this since the late 1970s (1978 Arab oil Embargo). One lesson I did learn is that as there are long lines for gasoline, there is plenty of diesel available. I have a Honda diesel generator and a diesel GMC Sierra.

If this is what it's like after a couple of days - then just imagine what it will be like after a couple of weeks.

See this link for the big picture: Live Updates - NY/NJ Gas Shortages: Mile-Long Lines, Rationing, Fights, Police Draw Guns

Here are some photos:

Much Much More at the link: Live Updates - NY/NJ Gas Shortages: Mile-Long Lines, Rationing, Fights, Police Draw Guns

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Heartbreaking Video: Starving New Yorkers Reduced To Eating from Dumpster In Sandy’s Aftermath

(Thursday, November 1st, 2012)

[VIDEO IN EXTENDED ARTICLE]

The situation in New York City in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy is dire. Some have gone days without power, water or even food as the superstorm brought the nation’s busiest city to a standstill.

Just how bad is it? WNBC actually found New Yorkers dumpster diving behind a Key Food supermarket Thursday, searching for any remnants of food they could find.

WNBC reporter Jonathan Vigliotti said people are “so hungry they literally pried open this dumpster — you see that door open right now — and they are literally picking through for whatever they can take home with themselves.”

“We’ve seen everyone here from the elderly, to families with children, literally up on top of this,” he added.

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The Yeshiva World Heartbreaking Video: Starving New Yorkers Reduced To Eating from Dumpster In Sandy’s Aftermath Frum Jewish News

Black Blade: And so it begins - the starvation stage and desperate people scavenge for food - even rooting through garbage.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

‘We Need Food, We Need Clothing’: Staten Island Residents Plead for Help 3 Days After Sand

(John Moore/Getty Images)

Snippit:

The residents of Staten Island are pleading for help from elected officials, begging for gasoline, food and clothing three days after Sandy slammed the New York City borough.

“We’re going to die! We’re going to freeze! We got 90-year-old people!” Donna Solli told visiting officials. “You don’t understand. You gotta get your trucks down here on the corner now. It’s been three days!”

Staten Island was one of the hardest-hit communities in New York City. More than 80,000 residents are still without power. Many are homeless, and at least 19 people died on Staten Island because of the storm.

Continued: ‘We Need Food, We Need Clothing’: Staten Island Residents Plead for Help 3 Days After Sandy - ABC News

Black Blade: There is a sense of Darwinism here where those who prepped are now able to fend of starvation and other discomforts while others look for the government to "help" them. The next few days will get rather "interesting" for a lot of people in thee affected areas.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.