Thread: Defibrillators

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Defibrillators

Here's something we should have on hand that I don't know much about.

Anyone familiar with the different brands and the pros/cons of some of them?

Can they be left in a vehicle summer and winter or do they need to be stored indoors?

I was in a situation recently and found myself unprepared for what might have needed to be done.

Thankfully the local VOLUNTEER EMS guys were close by and came over to help.

It was a freak chance that those guys happened to there at the time otherwise it would have taken them at least 30 minutes from dispatch to arrival.

That does not sit well. Any and all info and previous experience with them would be appreciated.

Feedback Score

Zoll or HeartStart are 2 of the most popular brands. I have used both of them and they are pretty straight forward to operate.

We keep them on the fire trucks so they are mostly stored in heated buildings, of course if the vehicles are out for any period of time they are exposed to the ambient temperature.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I had read or heard somewhere that defibs were being de-emphasized as a recovery tool?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    I had read or heard somewhere that defibs were being de-emphasized as a recovery tool?
    Not in the ems world. Early defibrilation for hearts in ventricular fibrilation is still appropriate.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What about CPR? Now that I'm off work and less-stressed I'm thinking more clearly... I'm thinking it was probably CPR I was thinking about. Need to read up on that more I guess. I remember my EMT friend telling me ages ago that CPR "done correctly" was a rib-breaking experience and it was always done wrong on TV

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    What about CPR? Now that I'm off work and less-stressed I'm thinking more clearly... I'm thinking it was probably CPR I was thinking about. Need to read up on that more I guess. I remember my EMT friend telling me ages ago that CPR "done correctly" was a rib-breaking experience and it was always done wrong on TV
    CPR has changed dramatically with a de-emphasis on breaths and an emphasis on more, deeper, faster compressions. Some places are testing using no breaths at all just chest compressions.

Early intervention of CPR when no defibrilator is available still offers a decent chance of survival, depending of course on the reason for the heart stopping in the first place.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

My parents required us children to learn cpr around the same time they gave us our first .22 rimfire rifles. Around 9 years old if I recall. I've taken a couple refresher courses since then though.
    The cpr techniques have been modified and then re-modified back into something similar to the original method, unless I'm mistaken.(?)

Defibrillators are pretty darn expensive, it might be possible for me to order one through my neighbor who is an RN at a local ER for less than retail. She would also train us in it's use but she drew a blank when I asked her the particulars of the units.

If taken care of properly, how long do they stay reliable?

I'm thinking of keeping one in my work truck, I could bring it inside every night like I do with my cell phone.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by tanvil View Post
    My parents required us children to learn cpr around the same time they gave us our first .22 rimfire rifles. Around 9 years old if I recall. I've taken a couple refresher courses since then though.
    The cpr techniques have been modified and then re-modified back into something similar to the original method, unless I'm mistaken.(?)

Defibrillators are pretty darn expensive, it might be possible for me to order one through my neighbor who is an RN at a local ER for less than retail. She would also train us in it's use but she drew a blank when I asked her the particulars of the units.

If taken care of properly, how long do they stay reliable?

I'm thinking of keeping one in my work truck, I could bring it inside every night like I do with my cell phone.
    Batteries AND remaining current electronics wise internally with the new CPR guidelines are the 2 isues with AEDs (automatic external defibrilators). The batteries have amazingly long shelf lives, but do eventually wear out.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.