Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tactical / Utility Knives

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Tactical / Utility Knives

I recently got a great deal on a Gerber Gator knife. Overall it is one heck of a knife! Got the drop point:

I am shopping around for similar knives of other manufacturers. I am partial to Gerber and Buck, but I am open to USA-made alternatives.

A friend works at the local BPS and we spent a good hour fondling all the knives they have behind the counter. Lots of nice knives, but the balance on most leave something to be desired.

I learned that SOG knives are all made overseas - as are some of the other brands' "budge" lines. So that's flat-out for me.

I *really* like - REALLY - like the feel of the Buck Alpha Hunter. Unfortunately it doesn't come in "blackout" or "coated" finishes. I may get one anyway:

What I would think is IDEAL would be a folder with the blade features of the Gator - serrated blade, coated blade finish, attached to the Alpha Hunter. The A.H. is HEFTY and feels like you have something significant in your hand. Not sure on the rubber grips but I like them. I like the overall shape of the "drop-point" Gerber and the A.H. knife (straight point?). Similar to a Tanto blade in that it has a good penetrating tip, but also a large enough sweep on the blade to provide utility cutting / deer skinning / etc. The serrations to me seem like a "must have" feature but perhaps I'm being too picky. If you add serrations and an oxide finish (in other words a non-shiny finish) to that A.H. folder, then that for me would be the perfect tactical / utility knife! Seems like all the nice utility knives are "Tactical" and more spendy - I guess mall ninjas need matching accessories too

I can get a black oxide finish on the A.H. via Buck's custom knife department, but only in the FIXED blade. Personally I would like that in a folder.

Balance on the good Buck knives are correctly in the handle. Most of the other mfr models are weighted in the blade, meaning they aren't balanced and are meant to be seen more than used. Even the Buck "nite hawk" or whatever it is called - the long K-Bar shaped one - is even blade-heavy. Compare that with a real working knife like K-Bar etc. and it feels like it was made for kids and mall ninjas.

So I am really not impressed with most of them. Not saying they aren't good knives, but I am wanting something that feels better in my hand. More than a pocket knife / swiss army knife but less than a full-length hunting knife like a K-Bar. I have yet to find that and unless I modify an A.H. I don't know that my ideal knife exists. Any recommendations?

Another question - what does it take for something like that A.H. to get a custom finish? I assume it is more than sand blasting and painting it! How do the custom knife guys do things?
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

So, what is the difference between these regular knives and a , "TACTICAL" one?
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Here yah go MUSIBIKE..

Quote Originally Posted by MUSIBIKE View Post
    So, what is the difference between these regular knives and a , "TACTICAL" one?
    Steel Types - Resources - Blade HQ
    Link explains the difference in blades, so when you look at the numbers and have no friggen idea what they stand for, this will help..
    I almost joined the Marines but they still issue bayonets..
    Closest I got too a knife in the Army was a p-38..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I really like CRKT knives like the Kit Carson designed M-4. But needing it to be made in the US really adds to the price and significantly narrows the field. In the last few years even the quality of the Chinese manufactured knives (top end American designed knives) has become surprisingly good for the price point. Since you like the dropped point I'm guessing you are looking for a knife that works well for skinning as well as being a good all around folding knife?
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Smile I love knives too!!!

I picked up a kind of cheap one from BENCHMADE. All I wanted to do with this one is skin, clean and, debone. But, I would not call it something that one would use as a tacticle tool.

The sales lady that sold it to me over at the blades shop said she would give me a private sharpening lesson for buying it. She looks along the lines of the woman who was in the AR15 field stripping course vid we had on here a couple weeks back.

Last edited by MUSIBIKE; 12-01-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yep a knife good for skinning and all-purpose utility. There are a few Benchmade knives that look nice too but they are a bit spendy. I've found a few new Gerbers that look promising, and so I'll be on the lookout for them at the next gun show.
    Gunco Member #10

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default hc..

Randall Custom Knives Knife RARE Piggyback Set Basket Weave Stag OOAK | eBay

Hell your the richest guy on the sight..
    Christmas is coming up, treat yourself and toss in a bid on these..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Wow only 2500 for that set... 4th I figure you have 2 or 3 of these sets already?

The shape/size of that smaller one looks really nice. Maybe I'm being too picky wanting serrations... plenty of options w/o serrations.
    Gunco Member #10

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

First time I saw a Randal knife $$$$$ at a fun show..
    What the hell is that thing, why so expensive?
    He started in his garage south of me here, in Orlando.. Set out to make a better knife..
    Special Ops guys in Nam got a taste for his knives.. They fell in love with them.
    Hell I do not know a Randall from a steak knife.. His son has since taken over the business..
    But he must have done something proper, cause they sure aint cheap..
    Ah hell buy it hc, the world is supposed to end sometime this year..

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

wayyy--back in the good old days the USSR had issued that shooting knife to da KGB operatives.

i was lucky enough to get a box of them --but like a dumbass i sold them--

i wonder what they would be worth now??

yea were beginning to sound like "antiques roadshow"--LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.