Thread: survival dentistry?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Unhappy survival dentistry?

survival dentistry?

gosh-damn went to the dentist and he wanted $178 + tax to pull a broken tooth--

i like thinking damn--last time i had a tooth removed it cost $28--WTF is wrong with this picture?

i got some vice grips laying around here somewhere!!

ouch!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Survival Dentistry

How do you confront dentistry when there is no dentist? This is an interesting question as I had a tooth go bad (infected nerve) when I was working in the jungles of north Myanmar. It was a molar and it was somewhat painful although I did have some benzocaine to deaden the pain. I had another five or six weeks before I could get out of the jungle and get to a "real" dentist in Hong Kong or Singapore. Since then I had thought about how to deal with tooth problems when there is no dentist.

I found an online book "Where There Is No Dentist" which may be of some help and is designed for those in the Third World. The book is also available in hard copy from Amazon. It is part of a series including the book "Where There Is No Doctor" from the Hesperian Organization.

http://hesperian.org/wp-content/uplo..._2012_full.pdf
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
    Survival Dentistry

How do you confront dentistry when there is no dentist? This is an interesting question as I had a tooth go bad (infected nerve) when I was working in the jungles of north Myanmar. It was a molar and it was somewhat painful although I did have some benzocaine to deaden the pain. I had another five or six weeks before I could get out of the jungle and get to a "real" dentist in Hong Kong or Singapore. Since then I had thought about how to deal with tooth problems when there is no dentist.

I found an online book "Where There Is No Dentist" which may be of some help and is designed for those in the Third World. The book is also available in hard copy from Amazon. It is part of a series including the book "Where There Is No Doctor" from the Hesperian Organization.

http://hesperian.org/wp-content/uplo..._2012_full.pdf
    good reading on those and could be very useful one day.

i thought about pulling this one --but it is a molar --it got 4 roots --the dentist damn nearly got a hearnia trying to yank this one out--

had i jumped on it with the vice grips i think i would have really fired-up--LOL

now i am sitting at the hooch --minus one tooth and the socket is bleeding like a stuck hog.

this would not be fun in some jungle --no,no,no!!--LOL!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

One bottle of jack Daniels

One good set of pliers

Someone who can operate the pliers after you empty the bottle.

Someone who can sew would be the icing on the cake.

Done
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I've done it more than once, I can't recommend it to any one that I like.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

A simple extraction in Little Rock is around $400. Prices for root canals and crowns are insane.

In the 1960s I had a mouth full of fillings and a couple of crowns... all on baby teeth. My Dad was an E3 in the Air Force, and paid for the dental work out of his own pocket. He doesn't remember how much it was, but it wasn't a burden.

That kind of work here and now, and I'd have to get a mortgage on the house.

Dentists are like plumbers; they think they have you over a barrel.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

nyuck-nyuck-nyuck
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

hows this......................

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamndmnt View Post
    hows this......................Street Dentists of India - YouTube
    STREET DENTISTS? lol!

that is sort of like that episode of "drew cary" where that skinny joker got a coupon for an "off shore dentist"---hell i laughed my ass off on that one--

hell i'm still spitting blood and am out $135 --but it took the dentist his play-boy bunny assistant and the big girl from the reception desk to get this one free of the bone--

i can't complain too much--and i didn't even have a coupon--

with my pals super-inexpensive ER visit in the PI's --i wounder what it costs to get dentistry done there?--LOL

Feedback Score

get some painkillers, go have it done in mexico, 10-20% of the price, and quality is ok if you ask around a bit before buying. Bill Moreland used fishline and a springy branch to pull his teeth as they went bad, 13 years of living in the ID wilderness. Thank God i have had dentures for many years. :-)

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.