Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Doomsday preppers: Are they crazy, or are you?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Doomsday preppers: Are they crazy, or are you?

Doomsday preppers: Are they crazy, or are you?

Snippit:

People stockpile food and other essentials, learn to purify water, and learn other survival skills for a variety of reasons. Some of those reasons seem crazy, but when you consider the fragility of our food distribution networks, power grids, and other complex systems that we depend on, this kind of preparedness does not seem so crazy after all.

If you do your own shopping, you’ve noticed that every trip to the grocery store costs a bit more than the one before. The core inflation rate reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics has been under 2 percent for the last couple of years, but to many Americans that seems low. The primary reason for that is that food and energy are not included in core inflation rate.

The BLS claims that the price volatility of these commodities creates unrealistic and erratic inflation statistics. Last year the food inflation rate was twice the core rate, and the growth of energy prices much greater than that. I don’t know about you, but energy and food make up the majority of my non-housing personal expenses (the average American spends 15 percent of her budget on food).

From a purely financial point of view, then, stockpiling staples makes sense. It is a way to save money, especially on items that do not expire, or have a very long shelf life.

Continued: Doomsday preppers: Are they crazy, or are you? | Washington Times Communities

Black Blade: Prepping has evolved into a movement. Now with over 3 million Americans calling themselves "preppers" (or lightweight "survivalists") it has become mainstream. Preppers are not as nutty as what you see on television (that's staged for entertainment value). You wouldn't know a real "prepper" just by looking at him or her. They are your neighbors and even colleagues. As the world becomes a more uncertain place and with the majority of Americans dependent on handouts, the rest of America is increasingly concerned about the future and are "prepping" to take care of themselves if and when it becomes necessary. This is the new reality.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

The best prepper is invisible in his prepping. No one knows about the pantry full of food, or the stockpiling of other supplies, or the amount of guns and ammunition they have, or if they have an underground bunker, or bugout locations, or anything in regards to prepping.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    The best prepper is invisible in his prepping. No one knows about the pantry full of food, or the stockpiling of other supplies, or the amount of guns and ammunition they have, or if they have an underground bunker, or bugout locations, or anything in regards to prepping.

Exactly!!!!! It astounds me that these people give up OPSEC for 5 minutes of fame. Eventually they will be sorry they did.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

It doesn't matter, once the roaming hordes come around they will just take it anyway
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yeah at best case if you dont have a hardened missle site.... you have weeks maybe a few months if anyone knows where your at..

they are nuts.

im not gonna be anywhere anyone else wants to be... simple as that.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I don't see any future of "roaming hordes" ravaging the country side. I do see a "Greater Depression" that will make the Great Depression of the 1930s look like the "good old days". Regardless, my retirement is secure in that I have no debt, can live off my land and my supplies until I am pushing up daisies. Besides, I seriously doubt that any "hordes" can even find my place let alone take the trouble to come this far into the high country. Much easier pickings in the valleys and flat lands. On a side note - I hear that "long pork" isn't too bad either and easier to bag than wild game.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
    I don't see any future of "roaming hordes" ravaging the country side. I do see a "Greater Depression" that will make the Great Depression of the 1930s look like the "good old days". Regardless, my retirement is secure in that I have no debt, can live off my land and my supplies until I am pushing up daisies. Besides, I seriously doubt that any "hordes" can even find my place let alone take the trouble to come this far into the high country. Much easier pickings in the valleys and flat lands. On a side note - I hear that "long pork" isn't too bad either and easier to bag than wild game.
    Why wait? If you are so secure and so set to live off the grid then do it. You seem so unhappy with the way the country is so why still participate?

By the way, nice touch with the cannibalism comment.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

I think prepping is crazy...I mean what's all the fuss? My water comes out of the tap, food from the store, heat from my furnace and the government will protect and feed me right?

How many people (democarps) do you know that have said that to you? People truely believe this, they truely believe in an emergency they can just run to the store and stock up on food, supplies, gas...Water will never stop coming out of the tap, heat from the furnace will never go dry.

It shocks me how many people believe this.
    Yes these guys on Preppers are crazy also. Crazy showing the world what they have... to prove they are truely prepped....

Most dangerous and well preppared people are those you never hear about and never say anything...
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Gunco View Post
    I think prepping is crazy...I mean what's all the fuss? My water comes out of the tap, food from the store, heat from my furnace and the government will protect and feed me right?

How many people (democarps) do you know that have said that to you? People truely believe this, they truely believe in an emergency they can just run to the store and stock up on food, supplies, gas...Water will never stop coming out of the tap, heat from the furnace will never go dry.

It shocks me how many people believe this.
    Yes these guys on Preppers are crazy also. Crazy showing the world what they have... to prove they are truely prepped....

Most dangerous and well preppared people are those you never hear about and never say anything...
    I actually saw this in the aftermath of Sandy, I saw perfectly well to do folks grabbing freebies that the gov't put out for those who lost everything. for about 4 days things could gone for bad to worst
    oh on the side note know one I know has received moneys from all these benefits and appeals to send cash to victims of Sandy, big concert coming up wonder how much makes it the people who lost everything.

that includes FEMA they responded worst here than new orleans yet most folks affected where white middle class so no coverage night after night no Sheppard Smith Crying, no fag anderson cooper crying, things are still bad for alot of folks, but they are white n middle class

technically I was a victim, I have not been offer or recieved or requested any assistance
    went back to florida and now back in jersey as of yesterday for the holidays,
    on a positive note we are allowed to saltwater fish again, just in time for the fall striper migration, then christmas then back to florida

The experience of Sandy has changed me forever
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Every day that ticks on by it just gets that much closer.
    M U S I B I K E

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.