Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cool lightweight emergency shelter

Feedback Score

Default Cool lightweight emergency shelter

“The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

That is way cool, a pre-packaged unit could sell well in lots of places.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

That's ingenious. He has alot of other cool things on the site too.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Very nice!
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Very cool!!
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Interesting concept, but how many homeless are going to blow $100 on a "cool" shelter, provided they came up with a $100?

Still, it beats the classic cardboard box under a freeway overpass.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Reminds me of the cardboard solar ovens sent to poor third world countries in the early 80's. Pictographs were included on how to assemble and use. Most ended up as fuel.

If the shoeless New Yorker feared for his life after receiving "expensive" $75 boots, think of the carnage these would cause.

buckmeister

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Certainly another Jewel in my Treasure Trove of Knowledge.

Actually, this is a really great idea, and appears to be well executed as well.

This kind of shelter would alos work well (perhaps with some amendments) for a lightly buried style shelter. I like the concept, and I think it is pretty brilliant.

Regards,
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

Remember the thread here about the grad student who lived in his van in the university parking lot down by the river ??? Maybe he was onto something. A hollowed out old van could serve as a cheap shelter on wheels if needed even if it had no motor or drive train. Fewer windows would be a bit more secure. Tow it to a covert location and set up camp.

This type shelter may be a bit beyond many homeless people who are mentally incapable of basic survival. In the US such people are dumpted out on the curb with their worldly possessions in a brown paper bag. That's called "mainstreaming" a bad freaking concept. In civilised countries they are kept in mental institutions and looked after like political prisoners.

While in the A-Shau Valley years ago I commented to my RTO one cold raining monsoon night that I wished I had my car there so we all could get out of the freaking miserable rain, dry off, turn on the radio for some tunes, and even drive into town for a pizza. The RTO had a good laugh but such troops are called "mechanised" not airborne or .... homeless.

VD in AZ

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    In the US such people are dumpted out on the curb with their worldly possessions in a brown paper bag. That's called "mainstreaming" a bad freaking concept. In civilised countries they are kept in mental institutions and looked after like political prisoners.
    In backwards Arkansas, you can be institutionalized if you are a danger to others, can be proven to be in danger to yourself, or voluntarily if you meet certain criteria.

If you want to wear urine-soaked clothing, eat out of garbage cans, and live in a culvert... it's not a crime to be crazy, and until you can be proven dangerous, you have the same civil rights as anyone else.

Maybe Arkansas isn't so backwards after all.

Once you start locking people up just because they meet your criteria for crazy (not even the DSM has a standard for "sane"), you have a powerful tool, which various regimes have wielded like a hammer. Voted for the wrong party? Obviously crazy; lobotomize and sterilize. Cross someone in the ruling party? Clear mental incapacity there. Run a traffic light? Menace to society, bring out the zombie juice and electrodes...

I've personally seen families have elderly members declared incompetent, have them institutionalized, and gleefully split up their property. It's a fun game anyone can play.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.