Thread: Doomsday preppers help increase gun sales at local store

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Doomsday preppers help increase gun sales at local store

Doomsday preppers help increase gun sales at local store

Snippit:

VESTAVIA HILLS, AL (WBRC) - It may not be a surprise that guns are selling well, but a new demographic is getting credit for an increase in sales at one store.

Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills says that hand gun sales are up 100 percent over this time last year as well as sales for rifles, shotguns and assault rifles.

They say they always see a steady crowd around the holidays but not to this extent. Guns are flying off the racks and at this rate by Christmas the racks will be empty. And part of this high demand is being attributed to one type of customer.

"Doomsday, Myann calendar, things like that. They don't know what's coming so they have to prep for it," Shelly Smith with Mark's Outdoors said.

Smith says of course there are other factors involved but she says you can't leave out the preppers.

Continued: Doomsday preppers help increase gun sales at local store

Black Blade: I have to admit, I do get a kick out of the media. They really are so gullible. Real preppers are not concerned about the Mayan Calender, some "planet" colliding with earth, zombies, etc. Preppers use these "events" as a distraction to have fun at the expense of the mainstream outside world. We know that "zombies" are a euphemism for bad people who either by themselves or in gangs would do us harm should there be societal upheaval. The Mayan Calender is just a "fun" to be used as an example for how hard one would prepare for the unknown. No one trully believes the Mayan calender is a signal the world ends on Dec. 21, 2012. But if the media wants to believe that, then I'm sure preppers will play along and enjoy themselves by teasing the media and others in the process. Actually, "prepping" is more a hobby or a lifestyle along the way to becoming self-suffiicient and ultimately to some a way toward a simpler "off grid" lifestyle.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Preparing for the Worst

By Tania Ortega

With natural disasters like Hurricane Sandy and Japan's Tsunami, it can be easy to worry about what you would do in an emergency situation. But some Central Texans are thru wondering.

Outside the Gest's family home, the deer run freely. But what's inside their home is what will keep them enjoying the outside. The Gest's are what you would call "Preppers".

They collecting necessities like food, water and medicines. All for the day an emergency like a tornado happens. Which they say will cause chaos. " 'Here's cases of water, here's food , you need medical help? We have all these doctors standing in line'. It's not going to happen in a bad disaster. We saw that with Katrina, we saw that again with Hurricane Sandy," says Jim Gest.

They're part of a group of close to 100 "Waco Preppers". Planning for disasters like economic collapse and nuclear fallout. Adam Pfizer is a member, and does it for his family. "To me its not doomsday, end of the world stuff. To me its just being able to take care of your family in whatever situation is going to come,"says Adam Fitzer.

And the prepping trend is spreading. From utility knifes to MRE's, Red Rock Outdoor Gear sells it. And they've seen their business triple.

There's thousands of hunting and prepping items at their store, but one of the things people are looking for are gas masks. "They're outfitting their families and their homes with gas masks just inside a biological attack occurs,"says Guy Meredith, Sales Manager at Red Rock Outdoor Gear.

A simple prepping tip is having a "Go Bag" with a first aid kit, water, food and a fire starter.

The Gests have that checked off their list. But with the help of their Hybrid car, they shouldn't have to leave their home. "Some things will power the freezer, the refrigerator, allow me to have a light on, recharge the batteries on my cell phone. And with the hybrid, you're running off the battery pack that's in the car and then the engine will run just enough to charge the batteries again," says Gest.

The Gest family also has some secret emergency units buried across Central Texas.That way if they need to leave their home, they can get what they need from their secret stash.

Waco Preppers Website: Waco Preppers (Waco, TX) - Meetup

Red Rock Outdoor Gear: Buy Outdoor Gear | Camping Store | Hunting Gear | J.B. Crockett
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

yeah, well how far you going on 4 flat tires, hmm? cause boards with nails in them will be everywhere, if shtf. count on that much.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Great, now I gotta prep for boards with nails.
    Whatever site I read it on as a members tag line, it's the truest statement ever made.
    "Our forefathers would have been shooting by now"
    They would have a long time ago, when our government became self serving and lied so openly that the taste of disgust can't be cleared with bleach.
    WTF happened to our country?
    member # 575

Feedback Score

I'd be interested in how you plan to do that? :-) you can have cans of "slime" ready to put into tires, but it takes a while, for each tire, and if the boards are big and nails are long, they will "hang up" between tire and fender, eating up the tread and catching fire, in pretty short order, even tho the tire does not completely go flat, it wont let you corner well or drive at speed. So basically, it will become very easy to track you, you aint going very far, and you will be slowed down enough to make getting good hits on the vehicle pretty easy, especially with tracer ammo.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.