Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's your survival handgun?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

My two are both 9mm Mak. Carry is the EG Mak and the tac defensive unit is the CZ-82
    Karl

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Feedback Score

I think that the Kel Tec PMR30 would be a terrific survival hand gun. It comes with a 30 shot magazine. But, around her you have to get on a list and wait! And, with the criminal activity that is going on in Washington, DC (District of Criminals) it may soon be impossible to obtain one. But, having 30 rounds of .22 Magnum would make this gun a terrific product to have! I* want one!

Feedback Score

I actually have three go to emergency weapons, I have a flare gun that I converted to a .50 cal Blackpowder ss with tac light and laser, which I have a conformation letter from atf to build. that also turns into a rifle also a .50 and I even secured permission to use a sholder stock on it which does not classify the weapon as a an AOW this is an all purpose firearm, and the very same weapon can be turned into a 410/45 LC or ss long rifle but with those forget the sholder stock on a pistol that fires modern rounds. that is my next project letter to the ATF. and I did not have to send in a sample,I submitted all my drawings and parts etc and how and what for the weapon would be used for. I received my letter back with in 6-8 weeks which is about is about right under normal circumstances. If anyone needs sone help with submission plans to atf for a build Im more than willing to help you with your letters so the process is easier espically with the situaton that we now face over firearms, So if you need any help just drop me a pm and we can see what we can do....Doc

Feedback Score

Thanks for the information, dscholl; it is very interesting to me. I'm glad that there so many competent people on this forum.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Still love my CZ75 B, 9mm.
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

--9mm? better than a 45acp?--i donna know bout that one???

all the mall ninjas went 9mm cause they held more rounds and the ammo was half the price.

i was there when they DOD switched from the 45 to the 9mm. not everybody was happy with it --even right out the gate.

to me it all ways seemed the 9s held twice the ammo because they were about half as effective.

now in a SMG it don't look quite so bad, the extra barrel it picks up a few FPS velocity and to get those extra hits required you just hold the trigger a hair longer---LOL!

even HK cranked out quite a few 40,45, and even 10mm mp5s--

ask HK though 9mm is da shitz--LOL!

yea i got 9mms and i use 9mms--mainly for practical reasons rather than tactical reasons.

i think the DOD liked the 9mm cause it was half the weight and size of 45 acp--takes up less space and weighs half as much= cost far less to transport half way around the globe.

effectiveness or lack there of was not even considered by the DOD. and besides there was a cool factor of having 15 rounds in your iron!--

the day has come that which round or even how effective it is is more of a side note --all that is required is that the round be effective enough and you got plenty of them--

that is ammo 2013!

Feedback Score

9mm & 12 ga lots of ammo for both...
    God so loved the world He gave his only Son...
    ...Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

Feedback Score

Default Re: thanks for the Information

Quote Originally Posted by dario541 View Post
    Thanks for the information, dscholl; it is very interesting to me. I'm glad that there so many competent people on this forum.
    Your very welcome, and just call me Doc...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post

i think the DOD liked the 9mm cause it was half the weight and size of 45 acp--takes up less space and weighs half as much= cost far less to transport half way around the globe.

effectiveness or lack there of was not even considered by the DOD. and besides there was a cool factor of having 15 rounds in your iron!--

the day has come that which round or even how effective it is is more of a side note --all that is required is that the round be effective enough and you got plenty of them--

that is ammo 2013!

The US went with 9mm in general issue handguns because that is the standard NATO caliber, not .45. We used the 1911 as long as the original guns were serviceable, but by the 1980s two world wars, a few smaller police actions, and countless rounds fired in training took their toll and the guns in inventory were worn out. STANAG required we adopt a 9mm, so we did. Same reason all the former Warsaw Pact nations who joined NATO have begun replacing their X39 guns with .223/5.56 models.

As for my survival handgun, depends on how ya define survival. Working out of a fixed or mobile base location with resupply, probably my Steyr GB or a 1911 depending on circumstances. On foot with only the supplies you can fit in a backpack, my Ruger MKII and a few thousand rounds of ammo to supply it and my Marlin 39 rifle.

Feedback Score

Well Although I would love. 45 as a duty carry in the field, we are talking about ball ammo. Of course. 45 ball would outperform the 9mm ball, but in the civilian world we aren't limited to NATO requirements and the performance I have seen from Corbon, Hornady, and Gold Dot regarding 9mm is nothing short of impresive. My favorite calibers in pistols are 9mm, .40 cal, .45, and. 357 Sig, bt as a survival gun I want the caliber that is being used by the majority of militaries and police agencies.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.