Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's your survival handgun?

Feedback Score

Default What's your survival handgun?

I have written about various rifles that I like for survival purposes. But, what about handguns? So, I want to give my views on that subject if I may? I personally consider the handgun a secondary weapon. But, having one is essential. So, after more than 50 years experience, what are my opinions? We won’t discuss whether a revolver or semi auto is better. I have my thoughts on that subject and may write about it one of these days.
    We need different handguns for different needs- working and defense. .
    For a working gun I believe that everybody should have a quality revolver in .357 Magnum. This is a versatile gun that can also fire .38 Special. My personal .357 is a Ruger Police Service Six. It has been my constant companion since I purchased it around 1978. It is tough and has never given me a problem. And, I can hit the broad side of a barn with it! This does not mean that a .44 Magnum wouldn’t be desirable-it is! But I believe a .357 is first choice. There is a large range of ammo for it and you can also shoot .38 Special in it. A good all-around caliber.
    For tactical use, a good semi auto may be better because it holds more ammo. However, more ammo doesn’t mean much if you don’t hit what you shoot at. It has been said that a hit with a BB gun beats a miss with a cannon! My go to semi auto is a Ruger Model P95 in 9MM. I was looking for a good semi auto in .45 Auto but this P95 kind of fell into my lap. I have done a study on ammo and have purchased several boxes of Hornady’s Critical Defense cartridges for close up self defense. This Hornady product seems to raise the 9MM to a whole new level. And, someday I still would like to own a .40 S&W or a .45 Auto. But, the more calibers you have, the more ammo you need. I believe I would rather have 1,000 rounds of one caliber than 350 rounds each of three different calibers.
    So, for me at this time, it's 9MM and .357 Magnum.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

you should see the poll i did a few years ago about handguns--

the 357 mag wheel-gun came in a reasonably close second to the 45acp.

everybody was sort of shocked the 357mag did so well in our little informal poll.

nothing wrong with a 357 as a carry piece IMHO, if i go back to a carry wheel-gun that is probably what it will be.

Feedback Score

I keep hoping that Ruger will offer an 8 shot .357 revolver. I've heard rumors, but, haven't seen anything yet. I will guarantee at least ONE sale if they do. I want one. I don't think I would have to carry anything else.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

4" ported barrel 41 mag.

buckmeister

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Survival as in grab a bag and head for the hills bug out type of survival ?

4-6" .357

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The closest one!!!!!

Feedback Score

I'm going against the grain here, but I say my Glock 19. Reliability plus ammo availability. Police and Military (including many foriegn Militaries) use 9mm. I carry it every day and carry two 15 round Magazines wiith Hornady Critical Duty which have better terminal balistics than 45 ball, plus I have two Glock 33 rounders in the car. Just in case I need to get back to my stash. But my choice revolves around ammo availability and Magazine Capacity. I hit what I am aiming at I just prefer the option to hit it more times if needed.

My dad is a 45 guy but I try to keep an open mind to calibers becasue none of them make a person turn into a puff of smoke so after trying different calibers I decided to stick with the 9mm. YMMV
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

.12 gauge with slugs and buck.. .22 mag revolver with lots of rounds..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    .12 gauge with slugs and buck.. .22 mag revolver with lots of rounds..
    It's funny I was sitting here thinking to myself last night after reading this topic that assuming I had the right long gun I would choose a .22lr pistol. I hadn't considered the .22 magnum. Either way the long gun would be both a protection and hunting weapon and the .22 a utility weapon, small game hunting and self defense up close if need be. The greatest advantage is the ability to carry a ton of rounds, perhaps a couple thousand, versus maybe a couple hundred of a centerfire pistol.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Colt Commander 1911. Small but powerful and its in my favorite handgun caliber...45
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.