Thread: 'Doomsday Preppers': Man Lives Completely Off The Grid Already Doomsday Preppers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default 'Doomsday Preppers': Man Lives Completely Off The Grid Already Doomsday Preppers

'Doomsday Preppers': Man Lives Completely Off The Grid Already

'Doomsday Preppers': Joe And His Family Live Completely Off The Grid

On "Doomsday Preppers," Joe and his family are so committed to being prepared for the apocalypse, they're living as if it's already happened. Completely off the grid, the family has no computer or television.

"I don’t have a computer. I wouldn’t know how to check an email if I got one," Joe said. He went so far as to say he didn't even know what an email was.

The family makes their own soap -- which they use for washing everything from their bodies to their dishes and laundry -- and takes baths outdoors, above a fire to warm the water. He harvests his own crops and goats, among other things, to survive in his simplified lifestyle.

Most people actually use his cast-iron bath over a fire method as a cheaper version of a hot tub and not to actually keep themselves clean, but Joe and his family are happy and content -- and prepared. There is just one question. If they are that far off the grid, would they even know if the end of the world happened?

See more "Doomsday Preppers" every Tuesday at 9 p.m. EST on National Geographic.

'Doomsday Preppers': Man Lives Completely Off The Grid Already (VIDEO)

Black Blade: Similar to "Going Galt" but with fewer conveniences. To me going "off grid" means also making my own electricity (water, solar and wind) and communications (radio, internet, etc.). Don't need to be "tethered" by pipes and wires and still be able to live with some modern conveniences. Going off grid doesn't mean becoming a Hippy or Amish.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I agree. I don't see why "off grid" should mean live like a cave man.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Continuation of "modern conveniences" involves maintaining the equipment needed to perpetuate said conveniences. When the genny breaks, the store may not be there for spare parts. The company who manufactured your solar cells may no longer exist to replace failed ones. Batteries die, as do mechanical devices. In the end, following a TEOTWAWKI scenario, going off grid may mean "living like a caveman".

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.