Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you survive without the "Grid?"

Feedback Score

Default Can you survive without the "Grid?"

Today everything in America depends on the Electrical “GRID.” Without the Grid we would have no food, water, heat, air conditioning nor anything else that is essential to human existence in this country.
    But, the Grid is extremely fragile. Periodically parts of the Grid go down leaving lots of people without their essential needs. And, there is no doubt that the entire system is vulnerable to massive malfunctions at any time.
    What is the major problem with the Grid? Let’s look at how it was built. We will compare it to the home of a guy named “Joe.” Sometime around 125 to 150 years ago Joe bought a piece of land. Land was not expensive in those years. But, building materials were scarce. He cobbled up some logs and boards and whatever else he could find and built for himself a little shack. This shack was small and all inclusive. It didn’t even have a foundation. Electricity was not available to him, but, never having had it, he didn’t miss it.
    He had no plumbing. For water, he either dipped it from a nearby creek or dug a well. He carried it into the house by the bucket. He had a “Path” instead of a “Bath!” He had a fireplace with which he cooked his food and heated his home. Everything he owned was in his little one room hovel. But, living alone, he was comfortable and content.
    Then, he met Mary! He fell in love. He courted her and soon persuaded her to become Mrs. Joe. After their marriage, Mary moved into the little hut with him. But, she was not happy! “This place is too small!” “I don’t like having everything in one room!” “I want a bed room and a separate kitchen, etc. etc.”
    So, Joe cobbled together some old used building material and added a room to the house so that Mary could have a bedroom. Later he found some old boards that were available cheaply and built a kitchen. The house was growing but each new part was a little different from the others.
    Then “Joey” entered the family. “I want another bedroom for the baby!” So, again Joe had to build onto his growing house. When “Little Mary” came along, another bedroom was desired for her. And, so it went. Down through the years the house was built and rebuilt.
    Then the day of indoor plumbing arrived. And, you know what Mary wanted! And, she wanted it NOW! So, out came the hammer and saw and another room was added. This also required him to cut openings into the growing home to run water pipes and take the waste water away.
    And, when the day to electrify the house arrived, Mary wanted that, too. Naturally! But, it was going to be difficult to add electricity to an existing building, so, Joe ran the wires along the outside of the house and drilled holes through the walls for outlets and fixtures. (There are a number of houses around here where you can see the wires on the outside even today).
    But, the basis for the entire structure was the old “Hut” that Joe started with. And, because the “house” was built by dribs and dabs, it never was a quality built structure. It was supported by (or propped up by) whatever building materials Joe could find when he needed to expand. And, even though that old house still stands today, it is a rickety old fire trap that is basically a heap of wood and or whatever.
    America’s Grid was built the same way. When electricity first became available in the latter 1800s and early 1900s, there were hundreds of small power companies, many of which operated on a shoe string. A lot of electrical systems were thrown together to serve a small segment of the population. As the years passed the Big “Fish” began to eat the little “Fish.” This led to both good and bad systems merging. One thing that these new major companies started to do was to interlock their systems. This was good because; if there were shortages in one part of the country, surplus electricity could be shunted to that area from other systems. This made it easier to keep all electricity customers happy.
    But, it also meant that a minor malfunction of a certain relay or other gizmo, could shut down a large part of the system, cutting power to millions of people (Exactly that happened in the Northeast United States and Eastern Canada in 1968 when one remote relay in Ohio was tripped inadvertently throwing millions of Americans and Canadians into darkness).
    Today, America is at risk of an EMP attack. One small nuclear bomb set off 100 miles or so above America could destroy the entire Grid. It could also destroy electrical systems in cars, planes, ships or trains. Such an attack would paralyze this country and it would take years to rebuild. Also there is a possibility that a solar flare from the sun could create the same type of damage. Because of the vast area covered by the Grid, it is also vulnerable to vandalism and terrorist attacks. The cost to bring the Grid into the twenty first century would be billions of dollars and that ain’t gonna happen! So, the possibility of losing the entire grid is one more possibility that we have to prepare for. The day may come when we will have to survive without electricity for a day, week, month, or, perhaps for years. Can you do it?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

to answer your question "can I survive without the grid"

you are new here
    I in fact did survive for 10 days without the grid and under martial law last fall after hurricane Sandy

been there done that
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i don't worry about EMP attacks much.

now a hand full of drones could send this country into chaos. a few hit the oil industry, a few hit the fragile power grid and so on. that i do worry about.

bush/obamma thinks these drones are a cheap way to fight a third world adversary --

--what they fail to see is that developed countries full of high value targets are far more bang for buck --

and these drones when attacking the US won't even have to LOOK for targets-- that means the drones won't even be expensive to build like ours are--

Feedback Score

No problem here, I've had 50+ yrs of experience living thru the aftermath of hurricanes on the gulf coast. No electricity for 7 - 17 days at a time. Might miss that air conditioner a bit on those 98 degree days with 90% humidity but you get used to that.
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score

I have another post here where I tell of the times that I lived without the grid. It would not be a new experience for me.

Feedback Score

You guys can distrust me all you want, I am fine with that, but this guy dario541 comes on the site and in less than 2 months posts over 230 times. All provocative probing question type topics and no one goes Hmmmm? Sorry, but maybe my cynicism and questioning of people's motives is tighter than others here.

Feedback Score

No Problem here, been there done that have the Tee Shirt ....Doc

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    You guys can distrust me all you want, I am fine with that, but this guy dario541 comes on the site and in less than 2 months posts over 230 times. All provocative probing question type topics and no one goes Hmmmm? Sorry, but maybe my cynicism and questioning of people's motives is tighter than others here.
    I do not distrust you FyredUp.. Hell I enjoy your posts.. Your entitled to your opinions and I personally find nothing wrong with the posts dario puts up, hell at least he is posting. That is what makes a sight.. Not being rude, but if you do not like his posts, don't read them..
    I find dario's posts interesting and in tune with the forum. Hell it is only ink and glass..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

O.K. stop right there.. Joe's first mistake..

"Then, he met Mary! He fell in love. He courted her and soon persuaded her to become Mrs. Joe. After their marriage, Mary moved into the little hut with him. But, she was not happy!"

Joe you were happy, now this Mary bitch is not happy. "Oh Mary your not happy, well get the hell out. Don't let the door hit you in your fat ass on the way out. GET OUT."
    If they go up on my power bill one more time, I may set off and EMP..
    Moving here too North Central Florida, looking for a place to purchase.. Got camping gear and lived in the Ocala National Forest for 6 months..
    No power, cooked over a fire, cut fire wood, bed early, up early, no T.V.. Best shape I have been in, in years.. Loved it.
    You do not need power to survive. Live in the city, probably a must have..
    But out in the wilds, to hell with electric.. I will get a horse if the gas pumps go out, sick of them and their prices to.. I am sick of everything, hate everybody. Old tired and miserable.. How much are these EMP things, you need a tax stamp?
    I am so full of hate, I hate myself..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    I do not distrust you FyredUp.. Hell I enjoy your posts.. Your entitled to your opinions and I personally find nothing wrong with the posts dario puts up, hell at least he is posting. That is what makes a sight.. Not being rude, but if you do not like his posts, don't read them..
    I find dario's posts interesting and in tune with the forum. Hell it is only ink and glass..
    You are right, I will stop posting my questions about this. It is up to everyone to decide on their own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.