Thread: Why I "collect" guns.

Feedback Score

Default Why I "collect" guns.

Almost all of us are collectors. I once knew a man who had 35 1972 Dodge Darts. Some people collect things that are pure junk to me! Some collect coins or stamps. My wife likes dolls.
    I like to collect firearms. I especially like having military guns that were once used to protect my freedom. But, I have never met a gun that I did not like! Of course, I prefer some over others. I also like having guns that I could use to protect myself if the occasion was to arise. And, I have more than one of some tactical types. I also like having ample amounts of ammo for these weapons. A day may come (and maybe it already has) when you won’t be able to go to the store and buy all the ammo you want.
    My wife sometimes asks me: “Why do you have so many? You can only shoot one at a time!” I reply that I like them and I don’t mind spending my money on them. It’s my money and I can spend it the way I desire. I once knew a man who said: “If a man wants to spend all of his money for soap, he’ll spend it all on soap!” And, that’s how I feel.
    But, I don’t tell my wife the other reason I want more than one of certain military style firearms. I feel that this country is “going to Hell in a hand-basket.” There is no way that things can continue as they are. Our economy is in shambles. The government has destroyed the value of our money. They are running monster deficits which can never be paid. Most of our manufacturing has gone to Communist China. More than 40,000,000 people are on food stamps. The true unemployment rate is probably around 20 percent. Millions more “immigrants are coming here from Mexico and other countries to get on the “gravy train” which is straining the countries resources.
    I see a day coming when society will break down and we will have to fend for ourselves. In other words, I believe in PREPPING! I want to be a survivalist! I have been planning how to survive the day that TSHF for more than 30 years. I started in the days when Mel Tappan was the survival “Guru.” So, in addition to many other survivalist items that I have acquired down through the years, I have a few battle rifles. And, I think that I know how to use them.
    But, I cannot say the same for some of my family and friends! They think that there will never be any changes in our society. They believe that they will always be able to go to the store. Some of them ardently believe that the government will always be there to protect them. They see no reason to “waste” money on guns, ammo and storage food. They live for today; let tomorrow take care of itself.
    Now, I recognize that I am only one man, that I can only do so much. I know that, as an individual, I have short comings. I realize that just me alone-with one rifle-won’t amount to much. I need someone to cover my back. I need to sleep sometime. And, I am getting up in years. So, I don’t want to try to survive alone. Therefore, I have extra guns and ammo stashed away to provide to my relatives and trusted friends. I also have stored some food for emergencies. When the wolf is at the door, a lot of people will suddenly become believers, but, it will be too late to go out and purchase the items that may be needed to survive. So, I have extras that I can let others use. It will be better for everybody. There’s strength in numbers. That is why I have more than one firearm.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Well said. I am very like minded.

Feedback Score

Guns will always be a major asset, and besides the gun market is more stable than the stock market, and you get a better return on your investments. Unlike the stockmarket where you have all these brokers and those whom wish to minipulate stocks.guns will always go up once in awhile they go down but not very often, and besides ther efun to collect and in some cases rebuild or even make from scratch. Whats not to like?...Doc

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Every time I walk into my gun room I just have to smile. Whenever I went to a gunshow, if I did not find something I really wanted at a price I wanted to pay, I would at least pick up a case of ammo, so it wasn't a "wasted trip"

Many of the cases have the price written on them in magic marker. I see cases of 7.62x39 & 5.45x39 marked $79, cases of 5.56 marked $189, a crate (1260 rds) of south african 7.62x51 marked $159 and so on. I don't have to tell you what that stuff is going for today, if you can even find it.

Feedback Score

I have to Agree with everything Dario541 plus I really really really love guns
    Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, LIBERTY DECREASES."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I collect firearms and some I like better than others. I have a hard time deciding what to sell/trade when I want to keep my collection somewhat manageable. Still, having a "few" hundred firearms at times seems excessive but heck, we all have our "vices" I guess.

I like being free and independent. I have preps just in case and I long ago resolved to carry no debt. Feels very good to be free. So I don't "feel" guilty buying more firearms, ammo and accessories.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I've had just about every firearm know to man at one time or another, from Brown Bess's to 1919 Brownings and everything in between, and like everyone says,,,,"whats not to love" about them??

It's crazy to see where prices have gone sense I started collecting in the early 60's though. And BOY,,, have I sold some things I wished I hadn't now. Bet you all have too!! I even specialized in rare and historic arms for a bit,, but my finances couldn't support that hobby for long. I got into a engraved phase for a bit too that I thought was going to drive me to the poor house!! It came close!! I even owned a presentation, engraved, Navy Luger presented to Herman Georing from Hitler for several years,, it broke my heart to sell that one,,, but divorces make ya do CRAZY THINGS!!!!! Lets see,, historic gun,,,, roof over your head,,,,,a No Brainer there!! But Boy do I wish I still had that one!! I've had one of Bill Cody's Colt SA, revolvers,a Annie Oakley Winchester, and one of Teddy Roosevelt hunting rifles before, so I've had some really high end stuff over the years that cost as much as a brand new car would cost now days. All but one of those is are measuem's now,, which is where they should be.

Priorities ya know!!

I guess my Pa just created a monster when he used to bring me to Camp Perry and to the Springfield custom shop throughout the 50's +60's when I was growing up,,, the bugger!! He and his bud were big time competitors there, and his bud was sponsored by Springfield for many years ,, so the Springfield Custom shop was my "play ground" when I grew up, messing around with match Garrands and 03's.

Ya,,, it's all his fault I tell ya,,,,,Ya,,Ya ,,,I'm sticking to that one !!! HE created the monster!!! It's Not My fault!!???

I love my "Toy Box" too, even though it doesn't contain some of the higher end stuff it used to!!!! It still has enough goodies to keep me happy though Life is good!

Feedback Score

Default RE:Gunshow Purchase

[When I go to a gun show I may not find what I orgionally went there for, But I always come out the door with something, Last time I purchased a 38 cal copy of a S&W Victory Model for 35.00 dollars, and a Remington Model 11 WWll trench broom that was just the receiver and mag tube in mint condition for 5.00 dollars, and a shitload of ammo. I can never seem to go to one of these events without buying something, My rashonalaztion to my other hald is well It was a great deal and I was going to get one eventually! and ther eit wqas and the Price Was Right!!!....Doc

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.