Thread: 50 Ways to Starve the Beast

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default 50 Ways to Starve the Beast

50 Ways to Starve the Beast

A term coined in 1985 by an unnamed staffer of the Reagan administration was “Starve the Beast”. This referred to a fiscally conservative political strategy to cut government spending by paying less in taxes. So, in the original sense, “the Beast” was the government, and people were to starve the beast by spending less and using loopholes, therefore paying less in taxes.

These days the Beast has a lot more tentacles than just the government. The system now consists of the government and all aspects of Big Business. Big Agri, Big Pharma, Big Medicine, Big Food, Big Banking and Big Oil, to name a few. It seems that now it’s the Beast doing the starving, as small businesses close because they can’t compete with Wal-Mart, the family farm is on it’s way out because it can’t compete with the huge, subsidized Monsanto mega-farms, people are going bankrupt because they can’t pay the outrageous medical bills…

Perhaps it’s time for another financial revolution – one where people group together and use the power of the boycott to starve all the arms of this Beast that would swallow us whole. If we vote with our dollars, eventually there will, of a necessity, be a paradigm shift that returns us to simpler days, when families that were willing to work hard could make a living without selling their souls to the corporate monoliths.

Every penny you spend with small local businesses is a penny that the big box stores won’t have. Everything that you buy secondhand or barter for is an item on which you won’t pay sales tax. Disassociate yourself completely with “the system” that is making Western civilization broke, overweight and unhealthy. Starve the Beast by taking as many of these steps as possible…

1. Grow your own food (this starves Big Agri and Big Pharma both)
    2. Shop at local businesses with no corporate ties
    3. Use natural remedies instead of pharmaceuticals whenever possible
    4. Homeschool your children
    5. Walk or bike instead of driving when possible
    6. Get care from naturopaths and healers instead of doctors
    7. Make paper logs from scraps for free heat if you have a wood-burning fireplace or stove
    8. Boycott all processed foods
    9. Shop at local farmer’s markets
    10. Boycott corporate stores: Wal-Mart, Costco, Best Buy, Home Depot
    11. Give vouchers as gifts for an evening of babysitting, a homemade meal, walking the dog, doing a repair, or cleaning
    12. Join a CSA or farm co-op
    13. Ditch television (and all the propaganda and commercials)
    14. Participate in the barter system – if no money changes hands, no tax can be added
    15. Buy secondhand from yard sales, Craigslist and thrift stores
    16. Sell your unwanted goods by having a yard sale or putting an ad on Craigslist
    17. Repair things instead of replacing them
    18. Avoid fast food restaurants and chain restaurants
    19. Dine at locally owned establishments if you eat out
    20. Brew your own beer and wine
    21. Read a book, purchased second-hand or borrowed
    22. Grow or gather medicinal herbs
    23. Give homemade gifts
    24. Attend free local activities: lectures, concerts, play days at the park, library events
    25. Dumpster dive
    26. Play outside: hike, bike, picnic
    27. Mend clothing
    28. Invite someone over for dinner instead of meeting at a restaurant
    29. Throw creative birthday parties at home for your kids instead of renting a venue
    30. Camp instead of staying at a hotel
    31. Bring your coffee with you in a travel mug
    32. Do all of your Christmas shopping with small local businesses and artisans
    33. Reduce your electricity usage with candles, solar power and non-tech entertainment
    34. Drop the thermostat and put on a sweater
    35. Bring your snacks and drinks in a cooler when you go on a road trip
    36. Stay home – it’s way easier to avoid temptation that way
    37. Pack lunches for work and school
    38. Make delicious homemade treats as a hostess gift
    39. Close your bank account or at the very least, strictly limit your balance
    40. Visit u-pick berry patches and orchards, then preserve your harvest for the winter
    41. Use precious metals stored at home as your savings account
    42. Raise backyard chickens for your own eggs
    43. If you are a smoker, roll your own cigarettes – if possible go one step further and grow tobacco
    44. Live in a smaller, more efficient home
    45. Use solar power for lighting or cooking
    46. Collect rainwater for use in the garden
    47. Learn to forage
    48. Buy heavy, solid, handmade furniture instead of the flimsy imported stuff
    49. At the holidays, focus on activities and traditions instead of gifts. Go for a walk or drive through the neighborhood to look at lights, get into your PJs and watch a special movie together on Christmas Eve and make certain treats that can always be expected
    50. Make your own bath and body products using pure ingredients like coconut oil, essential oils, and herbal extracts

Daisy Luther is a freelance writer and editor. Her website, The
    Organic Prepper, offers information on healthy prepping, including
    premium nutritional choices, general wellness and non-tech solutions.
    You can follow Daisy on Facebook and Twitter, and you can email her at
    daisy@theorganicprepper.ca – Homepage http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/

2013-04-13 19:00:21

Source: » 50 Ways to Starve the Beast
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Good series on T.V. about two brothers, who are showing people how to barter and trade up for different items..
    This is common in many parts of the world.. Prices are not necessarily set and people negotiate for things they need.
    Americans are conditioned to seeing a price tag, go too the register and just pay.
    Lot of businesses are giving Veterans discounts now.. Hotels, car rentals, Lowes, etc.. You have to ask..
    I have a Vet friend that will haggle for an hour, to save 10 cents on a damn hamburger.. Think it really already has begun "Not feeding the beast" cash is tight out there.
    Personally, while I do shop for good prices, I hate to haggle.. Ah just give me the damn thing.. But.. Unless they get to crazy with a price that is.
    Recent bilge pump need for my small boat.. $379 and $17 each for 3 spark plugs. I laughed my way out of the place.
    Computer same pump, $96 delivered.. $17 plus tax for a stinking spark plug, I almost choked the guy and I have known them for years..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

That was my dream back in the early 80s after my tour in the military and while attending trade school.My HVAC/R instructor who was retired Navy turn me on to MotherEarthNews
    magazine.I thought I had the skills but was traped in the big city.I would still like to live in the bush,but with my COPD,I coulden't do the yard work.
    Last edited by railbuggy; 04-15-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: moinfo
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by railbuggy View Post
    That was my dream back in the early 80s after my tour in the military and while attending trade school.My HVAC/R instructor who was retired Navy turn me on to MotherEarthNews
    magazine.I thought I the skills but was traped in the big city.I would still like to live in the bush,but with my COPD,I coulden't do the yard work.
    Yes Rails. It really is becoming more prevalent. Farmers markets here, tag sales, flea markets, trading for lawn cutting. Small but growing.
    Nappa Head keeps raising taxes. Well someone should tell the Sheriff of Nottingham, were out of money. You can not get blood from a stone.
    Nancy wants her jet and choclate covered candies back, Nappa Head wants another golf match with Tiggger Woods.. Taxes, were out of money.
    Hell Rails. My Irish SOB old man made more money in the cities after he retired, than he did working.. I gave him an old Ford Pickup truck..
    He ran that thing 7 days a week looking for bulk pickup days.. Made a small fortune with other peoples junk.. Hell you can do it, does not take any real long walking..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.