Thread: Massive earthquake due along the Pacific coast!

Feedback Score

Default Massive earthquake due along the Pacific coast!

I just finished watching a program on the H2 channel about the Cascadia Fault Line and took some notes. Scientists studying this fault have found evidence that this line has been the source of mega-earthquakes and tsunamis for thousands of years. It stretches for over 600 miles along the west coast of the North American continent. An earthquake can last for more than 5 minutes as the tremor passes the full length of the fault. A quake of that duration can cause massive amounts of damage.
    The last major earthquake from this fault line was January 26, 1700. It sent tidal waves along the Pacific Coast as well as across the Pacific to Japan and other parts of Asia. There is still a lot of evidence of the destruction of that quake.
    The authorities today expect another major event from this fault that could occur at any time. This earthquake could cause major damage from northern California to northern British Columbia. It could create a tidal wave (Tsunami) that would devastate the coasts of the Pacific states along with Hawaii, Japan and Asia.
    Tidal waves can travel across the ocean at the speed of 600 miles an hour. This means that a tsunami could hit the American coast within minutes of an earthquake. There will be no time to warn people. There are many people who have homes along the coast. These people will be at great risk. Thousands of homes will be destroyed. Cities such as Astoria, Oregon and many others will probably be demolished.
    Also, during the summer tens of thousands of people visit the Pacific coast for recreation purposes. These people will be in great danger because there will be no way to alert them that a tsunami will hit in just minutes.
    My son and his family once lived in a home south of Newport, Oregon that was so close to the ocean you could hear the water roaring 24 hours per day. I figured that they were only a few feet above sea level. However, the road that they lived on went up a hill behind them. I thought that if they ever felt any form of earthquake, they should grab the kids, jump into the car and head up that road away from the water. The higher the better. I have heard of tidal waves that were more than 100 feet high!
    Large cities like Seattle, Portland and Vancouver, B.C. will suffer major damage. Buildings will collapse. Older building are built of brick called “unreinforced masonry.” These types of buildings are no match for a strong earthquake. Also, modern buildings are often built with parking garages in the basement. This becomes the weakest point of the entire structure as an empty “shell" is supporting the rest of the building. It is thought that this will lead to the destruction of many structures if a major quake occurs.
    Bridges will fall. These bridges were built years ago with little thought given to the possibility of a major earthquake. This will cause many fatalities as well as transportation problems for years to come in large cities such as Portland and Seattle.
    It is expected that an earthquake along this fault could reach 9 on the Richter Scale. That is 1,000 times stronger than the earthquake (6.8) that devastated Kobe, Japan with tens of thousands of casualties!
    Although Medford, Oregon (where I live) is more than 100 miles from the coast, it is certain that we will have a lot of major damage here, too. But, the tallest building in town is only 5 stories. And they are just now wrapping up the construction of it. So, it may do well if a quake hits. However, I do expect that a lot of buildings will be destroyed. And, there are a few bridges here that might collapse. But, I still think we will be safer here than the coast or major cities.
    Anyhow, if you live near the beach in one of these northwest states, you should always be prepared to get in your car and go if you feel any sort of earth tremor. Head for the high ground! Don’t drive alongside the ocean. A tidal wave could come in 100 feet over your head! We want you all to be safe.
    Those of you who live in these vulnerable areas need to prepare now! Get your plans made! How you will survive THEN may depend on what you do NOW!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Largest Earthquakes in the United States

Very interesting info.. People think of the obvious faults we keep hearing about.
    One of the most devastating quakes America ever had was New Madrid Missouri. A rating of 7.5 to 7.7 was only and estimate, as their was no real equipment to record it at the time..
    Native Americans reported whole forests vanishing.. Rivers changing course.
    Do not forget New England. Major fault lines there including under Manhattan N.Y..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    Largest Earthquakes in the United States

Very interesting info.. People think of the obvious faults we keep hearing about.
    One of the most devastating quakes America ever had was New Madrid Missouri. A rating of 7.5 to 7.7 was only and estimate, as their was no real equipment to record it at the time..
    Native Americans reported whole forests vanishing.. Rivers changing course.
    Do not forget New England. Major fault lines there including under Manhattan N.Y..

there was a giant freshwater lake --think like lake erie that covered a large portion of eastern arkansas .

during that earthquake the lake vanished!

don't know if it joined the mississippi river or just was went down a sink hole--

today that lake bed is big rice farming land.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

any college student with 101 geology knows ( if they're not making bombs) that the west coast is sitting on a large moving tectonic plate, as is most of the paciifc countries and along the western european coast, they all will result in massive earthquakes, how the that effects the rest of the world is two fold, tsunami's and debris in the atmosphire
    so the west coast will disappear and /or change configuration , the east coast needs to worry about a Tsunami from the azores and canary Islands

no new News here
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

The "news" is that many cities in the Pacific Northwest are taking the threat seriously and are becoming "Preppers!" I can't do any less.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

if you live in the pacific northwest or california and you are not aware you live on a fault line you have serious problems, besides a earthquake or Tsunami.
    all the large northwest pacific city's lie west of the Cascades, the only active volcanos in North America

so if a event does happen and folks are not prepared or have moved to higher ground well its your ( their) fault

I survived Hurricane Sandy, never has the area( in recorded time) been overcome by a hurricane or serious flooding, but the potential was always there, again anyone with a 101 environmental science class could tell you ( me) it was bound to happen. the difference was I and others were prepared, I stuck it out others didn't, others were not prepared I witnessed this, they got little to no sympathy from me
    CAUSE THEY HAD THEIR HEADS UP THEIR ASS

Feedback Score

Let us pray the fault line holds...
    God so loved the world He gave his only Son...
    ...Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

you can pray all day long, that fault will move. how much and in which direction it is hard to predict, but it will happen and when it moves on the North american plate another opposite plate in the pacific rim will move. aka triggering a tsunami.
    I used to work with a archaelogist who went to work on excavating a native american village in Washington state that was buried by land slides and tideland waves before the europeans arrived, look at pompeii or modern equivalent Japan last year.
    the earth is constantly moving and reforming, the eastern coastal plain was formed by such a event before the last glaciation,=when the Azores & Canary Islands experience a major earthquake and follow up Tsunami wave will be 30 feet high and arrive in 5-10 hours wiping out the east coast from Newfoundland to florida,
    whether its tomorrow or 10 thousand years it will happen
    Megatsunami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Sprat. The Long Island Express

All told, 700 people were killed by the hurricane, 600 of them in Long Island and southern New England. Some 700 people were injured. Nearly 9,000 homes and buildings were destroyed, and 15,000 damaged. Nearly 3,000 ships were sunk or wrecked. Power lines were downed across the region, causing widespread blackouts. Innumerable trees were felled, and 12 new inlets were created on Long Island. Railroads were destroyed and farms were obliterated. Total damages were $306 million, which equals $18 billion in today's dollars.

Sep 21, 1938:
    The Great New England Hurricane
    The Great New England Hurricane — History.com This Day in History — 9/21/1938

One Man tried to warn them, they did not listen..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

here you go a series of earthquakes today off of kamchucka penisula, Russian Pacific coast I would watch this if you are near the water on the pcific west coast

List Today's Earthquakes in Kamchatka Peninsula, Russia

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.