Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My brother and the Moore, OK tornado

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for the kind words!

My family is saying that cash donations and "cash" gift cards would be most helpful for the families in the area. Also gift cards from places like Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, etc. Since there's concern about donations making it to the right people, I discussed with my dad who has arranged with his church to distribute any funds and gift cards they receive. SO... if you wish to do that, here's the info:

Designate "Disaster Relief" on any correspondence!

Christian Life Fellowship
    1400 NW 12th St
    Moore, OK, 73170-1017
    405-793-8832

Since this is a church (non-profit), donations should be tax deductible. You may also be able to get your company to match the donations... I know my company matches up to a certain dollar amount.

Mom said that the news is reporting 1200 families are without their homes. Road blocks have been taken down and so it is "open" area as before... brother found someone has already taken the copper out of his trashed A/C unit! He has to go back to work today, but they are going to dig through the rubble to find "salvage" items that they can recover for resale. Things like the fireplace insert he recently bought... things like that. Not sure they will find much. However anything that is trash they must pile on the road so the salvage trucks can scoop it all up.

He was smart and contacted his insurance company "sooner" rather than "later", so he is getting ahead on his insurance checks. Plans are to scrape the house down to the foundation, and assess rebuild value. I guess insurance is writing a check for the loan amount to pay it off... not really sure that you would be forced to pay mortgage on a destroyed house? From what Dad is saying it sounds like State Farm is really taking care of him. Honestly I may switch insurance companies after hearing how well they are treating him.

One thing he has to do is buy new clothes - most of his clothing was not only water damaged but covered in insulation when the roof blew apart. Meaning it is completely unusable now as you may know if you've ever worked with insulation! He fortunately is living at the parents' house, and I can only imagine how many families are going to have to live out of a hotel room, corporate housing, or rental that their insurance companies are arranging. I hate living out of a suitcase for more than a week or two!

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

FEMA is a big waste of taxpayer dollars & pretty much useless to folks with immediate needs. We found that out after hurricane Charley about wiped us out in 2004. They want you to fill out dozens of forms while your still shaking from the stress of tragedy.And if you have any income or money in the bank, you will never hear back from them.
    By far the biggest help to me was Franklin Grahams group Samaritans Purse. I was struggling to get a tarp over the walls of our house trying to keep the rain off what things we saved, when a van load of teens pulled up & just went right to work helping me & consoling my terrified wife sitting in her wheelchair with dead batteries.
    Soon after another van pulled up with a bobcat & started clearing rubble away.They GAVE us tarps, bleach, brooms & squeegees.
    I will NEVER forget what they did for us.
    I bet a dime to a dollar they are there in Ok. busting their tails to help & asking NOTHING in return.
    All while the corrupt IRS is doing everything they can to hinder their efforts. Disgusting.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Samaritan's Purse - where I used to work, we made tent tarps for them. They run about twice a year and ship 10-15 semi's worth of tarp material (max'd out trailer weights) to Samaritan's Purse. Never had heard of them before that, but apparently a very active charity/disaster group.

HC, drove through the area (OK City) last weekend on a trip to Tyler, Tx. I was very pleasantly surprised at how the community was pulling together so very well, at least what was evident on the radio. Great group of people there, for sure!
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'll check out Samaritan's Purse. It sounds like they actually do something useful, other than fundraising and photo ops...

Feedback Score

Im glad to hear that your family is safe and well & I'm Sorry to hear about the house. As far as fema goes they are a joke, and they are not noted for quick responces. There are several organaztions that are thru the Catholic Church, Such as Catholic Charties, St Vincent Depaul and a few others if they are not doing anything to help Which they should be doing! dont hesitate to ask them.
    When my payday gets here on Friday I'll be more than happy to send something to the address you provided and again Im glad your family is ok.....Doc

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

When it rains it pours...

Over the weekend there were more storms in the area. Everyone is safe, but Mom and Dad's property suffered strong wind damage... had part of their fence blown down and many of their trees snapped in half. They were without power all weekend and dad finally sprung for a generator! Have to teach him how to use it now as I bought one here in Va several years ago due to power snafus Again, everyone is safe but once again they are cleaning up tree branches and need to repair their fence.

What a crazy summer this is turning out to be! Apparently this weather is going to be problematic all year - the Nat'l Weather Service has issued a seasonal warning and believes there could be 3-6 hurricanes hit this year. Hopefully they are wrong but my gut is telling me this year's weather won't be pretty.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Home Depot gift cards ,,,and prayers in route.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks TWA, I'll let dad know to be looking for that stuff (he's the church treasurer).

Another update about insurance claims - my brother's insurance company is having him make a list of items for reimbursement, that they can write a check for. WELL... not only is that a royal PITA, considering all the phone calls and meetings you have to make while at the same time still trying to work your normal job... turns out his neighbor just got a check w/o any sort of pre-approval process. Don't know which ins company that was yet. ADVISE: Go through and make a video or take photos of all your stuff, every drawer, etc. and store that information somewhere in case you ever need to make a claim due to flood, fire, or whatever natural disaster might wipe it all away!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Status update:

Bro got his insurance checks and is closing on a new house! Lots of deliveries planned since he is literally rebuilding his inventory of belongings from scratch.

Family is looking at getting some of these storm shelters as they are local and relatively inexpensive:

Home

Starts at around $5,000 "delivered" which actually isn't a bad deal at all. Especially if they finance it. It makes me consider getting something if I decide to stay here in hurricane Va.

Dad said that what some people do is to buy a used shipping container (the kinds that arrive on boats and get loaded on flatbed trucks) for pretty cheap, coat it with a weatherproof coating inside and out, and then bury it and give it two entrances in case one gets covered with debris. The installation process of digging a hole big enough for an entire container (even the small ones) seems cumbersome. I for one would not want to dig such a hole... it would take several weekends of just digging to get it complete! Or pay someone with a backhoe to dig it. But still... however having extra space you could justify it to the Mrs. by running power to it so you could literally have a man-cave when it isn't used for shelter. However that turn-key solution looks more appealing for them.

I'm going to give serious thought to installing a basement myself.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words - most appreciated!

SHTF scenario 2013 - "finished"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.