Thread: Food and Energy Prices May Skyrocket

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Food and Energy Prices May Skyrocket

Food and Energy Prices May Skyrocket

financialsense.com / By JR Nyquist / June 5, 2013

During the last six months many places around the world have experienced record low temperatures. Already grain crops have suffered. There is speculation by some scientists that we are entering a cooling period. Russian researchers at Pulkovo Observatory, St. Petersburg, are flatly saying that the Sun is putting out less heat. Approximately every 200 years the sun goes into a “solar hibernation.” This signifies a period of lower global temperatures which have historically reduced crop yields, resulting in higher food prices and famine.

The last “solar minimum” affecting planet Earth ended in the second decade of the 19th century, about 200 years ago. Some readers may recall the fate of Napoleon’s army in Russia, with record low temperatures that killed French troops and horses. Cold periods have occurred repeatedly over the last two thousand years resulting in famine and death by freezing, as well as droughts. With lower temperatures come less water evaporation and cloud formation (i.e., lower average rainfall). Already we are seeing higher grain prices from last year’s drought. If this is a trend, we are certain to see even higher food and energy prices next year.

Crops are sensitive to colder weather at all latitudes. Freezing weather in Florida means lost citrus crops. In the Midwest, colder and longer winters signify shorter growing seasons with reduced wheat and corn production. Countries with significant food production located at far north latitudes, like Russia and Canada, could experience a severe reduction in food output, with global consequences.

READ MORE

Black Blade: Thankfully most of us here are well prepped and able to weather the coming storm and rising "inflation tsunami" bearing down on the people around the world. Those who think that the local supermarkets will always have "cheap" food and the gas stations always have "cheap" fuel - good luck.

When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Ya Right,,, like it hasn't already???? Been shopping lately?

I do my own shopping and I generally get pretty much the same things each month and my bill has gone up at least 100 bucks compared to just 3-4 months ago. For the same stuff,,except it being in smaller packages now, so in actuality it's probably more than that in increased costs when you sit down and really figure it out $ for $.

Power's gone up here about $20 bucks per month already this year,, with less KW usage on my end.

Just wait till the meat prices really go crazy when the decrease in beef supply kicks in after last years and this years droughts hit the market. I forget what the stats were but the meat supply is much lower now due to this.

Keep those shelves stocked folks,, it's only going to get better.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

my crystal ball says there are going to be some expensive food prices on the way.

the very late spring hasn't helped. i figure grain is going to be very short supply in the US.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I am going hog hunting next week I am gonna freeze and can some of it, summer is coming canning is high on the radar, local foods bought at the farmers market, planning on more saltwater fishing, the garden is coming along ok despite the rain we have and are getting
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Hell I haven't even done a garden in years, it hurts me to much. But farmers markets rock. I do some pole beans and water melon, and that's just about it. Just low maintenance stuff that I love,, for me. And I didn't even do that this year!

Plus around here the weather is always a mystery,,Hell 2 1/2 weeks ago we had 8" of snow one day and 3 days later it was pushing 90,,,,WTF???

It is really true when they say ,,,"if you don't like the weather here in Vt,, just wait,, it will change any second now". Actually quite similar to Minnesota,, except shorter winters. Barely!!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

As soon as the war cracks open, your efforts to put aside a set of items to fall back will be just reward.
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score

War is coming! Get ready!

Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Member#348

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.