Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How Far Out of Town Should Your Survival Retreat Be Located?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Nearest city to me is over 200 miles away and even then there are two mountain ranges in between. I would think the farmers and ranchers would be better and easier pickins' for "roving inner city gangs" as in easier to steal a watermelon, chickens or rustle a cow before stumbling upon me. Besides there's a lot of armed folk in this part of the country and the "roving gangs" would be rather decimated before long. Of course they could be better than Domino's delivery - having long pork walk up to the front door. "Easy pickins" can be a two way street.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

BB's probably right about the gangbanger delivery service. Not so much about the "long pork" but about the firearm/ammo etc. delivery service.
    Where I'm at, not so great. Twenty minutes from Detroit is not the best place to be for any nonsense like discussed. I'm sure I'd get some "deliveries" but it would be a high price to pay. Gangs would be thick and hungry this close to hell. But, I guess that's why I prep the way I do for the moment I'm in now. My neighbors are mostly assclowns and I'm not concerned with them in any way so I'll stick 'till it gets ugly then head up to the property through the long gravel road route. God willing and guns blazing we can escape and I have the later covered.
    member # 575

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

No matter where you are, a dozen well trained and armed thugs are going to get you. Just take as many of them with you as possible before you get it.

Best thing is to lay low and DO NOT attract attention.

Don't stand out in the picture. This is hard to do when you are in the cute little place up on a property with good smelling smoke coming out of the chimney.

NEVER underestimate the skills of some HUNGRY thugs in numbers that are well armed.
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I also worry about the old folks, my parents included, that are in my neiborhood. They will have to be fed, they will run out of meds, some will be dead in a month. Speaking of running out of meds, I take synthroid for a thyroid that doesn't work right, and I can only refill one month at a time, so I may not make it very long. If I can talk my Doc into it, I may be able to order a 1000 pills online. At any rate, life will be hard, much harder than most realize.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i suspect that gangs will decimate themselves when things get bad and will settle old scores among themselves when the law crashes. everything is going to unravel gangs included.

by the time they finally make it out this far --were going to see stragglers rather than gangs--

running out of medications is going to be a real problem for many --- and running out of AMMO!

get your arms scoped and zeroed in -- the Obongo administration has got several more years to "re-define america!"

i suspect the re-definition is going to be into a lawless broke third world status.

i have visited many such places, they ain't no fun. 30 years ago i would have laughed into any ones face who suggested any such thing. today the sad outcome looks like a real possibility.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Around here,,,, everything is "Outa town".

My spot is 2.5 miles into the woods from the nearest class 3 road and 1/4 mile off a overgrown logging road, and with-in 4 miles of home, easily reached by 4-wheeler or by foot,,,,, if you knew where it is. Other wise,,,, forget about it,,,you'd never find it in a million years. It has a pond, springs , and a deep dry cave that's already stocked and has the entrance covered. That's just about as good as it can get, under most circumstances. Drones would be the only real concern in that spot, but chances of it ever being scrutinized are pretty damn slim, it's in the middle of a real big woods with nothing around it at all. Nothing to stand out at all. I could go there at this point and stay there without even coming out for >a year with what I have in place at this point. With out even retrieving anything from the house, and if I did that, that would probably put me in the 3 year range with the home stores I have. Not that I'm all that worried about TEOTWAWKI, but the Boy Scout in me, helps keep me on top of most anything that could happen.

With all the weather issues we've had in this area for the last couple years, my preps have been put to the test. This has proved to me that, with what minimal preps I have done so far, they will more than tie me over, just fine. I think I have all the major bases covered at this point and I'd be good for at least 3 years if by myself. With out any resupply or hunting of any type at all. And believe me,,, I'm no real serious preppier at all, that's for damn sure. Not like some. I just have really good woodsman-ship skills that would fair me well if need be. Hell 3 weeks in the woods at a time with no resupply was a normal part of my daily life for years, so not a really issue IMO. I'm as,, at home,, in the woods as I'm am in my living room, any time of the year.

Black Blade has made me aware of some things I hadn't considered before though, but they were all very minor things that would be survivable without them. He's pretty darn sharp on this subject and I look forward to reading his posts, many would do well to listen to his ideas and suggestions.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Your best bet is hunker down in your own Home. Keep your eyes open and your head down.
    Might as well kiss your ass fair well while your still alive.
    Your in my Mind, and in my Sights

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The cave is a last resort ,,get outa Dodge kinda deal, otherwise it's hold up here,,, for sure. Ten years ago I'd have just thought anyone that did these kind of preps were a bit,,, "out there",,, today,, not so much! Bugging out of your home base is defiantly a "last resort" and pretty dumb generally IMO. Unless there is some obvious clear threat you can't handle.

I'm not that paranoid to really worry about it all that much but I sure am smart enough to plan for most anything that could happen, mostly weather is what I plan for. I always kept spare supplies on stock, just in case,, but never to this extent. Funny part I never even gave any of this kind of thing much of a thought till the last 10-12 years when I saw the caliber of the politicians that were getting elected by the "low info" crowd and the stupid things there doing. There pitiful,,,,they scare me more than anything else out there, that's why the preps. There so incompetent they could put this country into some conflict with another country that could change things drastically or just run the economy into the ground so bad everyone would be in total survival mode. Either way it could be really bad if either happened.

Will a secondary stocked position ever be necessary,,,,,I doubt it very much, but it's always there and ready if needed. And it really wasn't much of an effort or expense to do so, I'm no fool, I've seen lots of things in my 63 years and what I've seen from the politicians the last few,,, worry me more than ever before.

With the morons we have running this country now,,,, it's only prudent to do so IMHO.
    Any of you old fugs like me ever think you'd ever see this country get so nuts?????? I never did.

Remember the "slippery slope" thing you used to hear about just a few years back,, well it just seems to me ,,there pouring a fresh quart of oil on it every day,,,,,idiots!!!!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

this is DIP--the ALAMO here! no realistic place to bug out too, damn urban/metros in every direction!

i guess i'll just have to block the private road off -- and set up on the hill with my .300 mag and EXPENSIVE scope and bi-pod!--LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.