Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Far Out of Town Should Your Survival Retreat Be Located?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default How Far Out of Town Should Your Survival Retreat Be Located?

How Far Out of Town Should Your Survival Retreat Be Located?

AUSTIN, Texas, June 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With European countries falling like dominoes, out of control spending by Governments across the globe, nuclear meltdowns, tsunamis, and possible pandemics or terrorism events, the 'prepper and survivalist' movement is growing by leaps and bounds.

A recent survey with 1,840 prepper respondents showed an overwhelming 76% believe the most likely big disaster for the US is Economic Collapse. (http://www.growyourowngroceries.org/...-big-disaster/).

The very real possibility of the US defaulting on its debt would cause a worldwide depression that would last for decades or possibly generations.

Many prepper families are taking the radical step of looking for a retreat location in a rural area.

"Most people think that getting out as far away as possible is the best strategy. But moving way out to the hinterland is the biggest mistake you can make," says Marjory Wildcraft, author of the recently released book "7 Shortcuts To Finding The Perfect Survival Retreat," available at Relocation Shortcuts.

Wildcraft has been described as the "Martha Stewart of self-reliance." She is a regular guest on national radio and television shows and was recently featured as an expert in sustainable living on National Geographic's hit series "Doomsday Preppers." Wildcraft is best known for her video series Grow Your Own Groceries (Turn Your Backyard Into An Organic Food Producing Paradise Grow Your Own Groceries), which is a crash course on growing food that is used by homesteaders, survivalists, universities, and missionary organizations.

"When we first panicked we headed out as far as we could," says Wildcraft. "We were at least 6 miles from the nearest little store and 25 miles from a small town. After years of living that far out we realized as a family that we wanted to be closer to other people. I have seen this same pattern repeated among people who move -- they head way out. Then they end up moving back in a little closer.

"We humans are at heart, really social. Who will sew you up after a misplaced blow while chopping wood? Who will help you fight off that renegade mafia claiming to be the new Government? Who are your kids going to marry? Who knows the local plants to treat infections after the antibiotics are expired? With whom will you make music or swap jokes?"

So being near a small community is ideal. Americans with our car-centric culture have lost touch with a pedestrian lifestyle. How close is best?

In the middle ages many European markets were spaced approximately 14 miles apart. That way you were only 7 miles at most from any town. Seven miles was a good distance as a person can walk into town, spend a few hours at church or the market, and then walk back home all within a day.

So being in, or within 7 miles of a small community is ideal.

For more useful insights, buy Wildcraft's new book "7 Shortcuts To Finding The Perfect Survival Retreat," available at Relocation Shortcuts.

This press release was issued through eReleases(R) Press Release Distribution. For more information, visit Press Release Distribution | Press Release Distribution Services.

SOURCE Marjory Wildcraft

How Far Out of Town Should Your Survival Retreat Be Located? -- AUSTIN, Texas, June 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --

Black Blade: My BOL cabins are in very remote locations in the west. No roving masses will be near me when the SHTF.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

My bug out spot is about 15 miles from this city (Medford, Oregon), But, the last few miles can be blocked off easily and it would be necessary to walk them. And, if the S hits the F, that's what we plan to do.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i live further than their suggesting for a bug out --guess what?

these woods are crawling with meth cookers, various criminals , idiotic FUDDs, scrap-metal thiefs, and every other kind of moron and nare-do-well you can think of.

behind every tree there is some kind of moron-- and the shit ain't hit the fan yet! this is 25 miles ffrom the nearist small town and 100 miles from the city.

i suspect you'll need to be in the black hills somewhere , pretty much everywhere else is going to be overrun when the citys empty out.

all this shit about needing other people is utter BS. what is going to happen it these other people who you THINK you can depend on are going to be a problem.

if i could i would be at least one full tank of gas away from EVERYBODY.

if you could get about the range from the city as what a full tank of gas would carry--that would reduce the 'overrun" quite a bit.

imagine 300,000,000 displaced people-- no gas except what they got i their tanks, no power and no food , and many are going to be off their medications , and knowing out liberal justice system the jails will probably be emptied cause their be no food to feed the convicts.

now tell me-- even a community of preppers that have made serious preperations is going to be in a world of hurt when the city empties out on their lawn.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I've heard several times that if you live less than a tankful of gas away from a city you're in trouble come SHTF. Not too many places fall into that catagory, so the Best you can do is get as far off the beaten path as you can.
    I'd rather be a "has been" than a wannabe!

2TIMOTHY2,4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairsof this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

God, Guns and Guts made America free,
    Lets keep all three.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

oh im just "minutes" away from decent sized towns.... but im far enough off the path that your not gonna run across us with out us knowing your coming...

im not planning on "going" anywhere in that type of situation... we'll be fine right where we are.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I worry about the starving hordes coming out of Little Rock. Many of these folks are about as far removed from the rural ways of yesteryear as they can be. I live on the outskirts of a small town only 15-20 minuites from L.R. But, we in our small community of roughly 75 people, have an understanding. We're gonna fort up. Theres one road that leads here, and we plan to block it. Everybody here grows gardens that are way to big, and we can alot of it and give alot of it away. If we have to escape, and we cant get out by the road, we can go by river, which is 2 blocks from my house. From the river and by land we can get to thousands and thousands of almost uninhabited forest and pasture land. Aint the perfect plan, but its better than nothin.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

As long as you can barricade the road far enough away you should be OK. Most gangbangers aren't going to walk very far...
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

HUMMM....

Those pretty little nice homes out there in the middle of nowhere are select targets for raiders on their way out of the city.

Might want to rethink the strategy some?
    M U S I B I K E

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Keep the surrounding areas mowed or bush-hogged clear. When the raiders show up, pick them off with the rifle and then put their heads on stakes around the property line. Add any useful vehicles to your fleet, run the rest down the road and burn them to make a better barricade...
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score

The truth is all your survival retreats do is buy you time. Eventually you will be found, the question is will it be by roving bands of thugs and looters, innocent people fleeing hostilities, or the government.

If the size of the group of thugs is large enough eventually they will overwhelm you and probably kill you and take your stuff. If it is the government I don't care how well you are armed, they are armed better. If it is just innocent citizens fleeing you will have to decide what you will or won't do for them.

I think preparing to shelter in place is a sound strategy to a point, but being able to be quickly mobile is important too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.