Thread: Prepper fire protection

Feedback Score

Default Prepper fire protection

How many of you that plan to shelter in place have a plan in the event a fire breaks out. Not just how to get out, but a plan to attempt to fight a small fire before it consumes all of your preps, including food and ammunition.

Being a firefighter I can honestly say that I have pondered it. If society did collapse and all municipal services went away, surely fire protection would disappear too. So what to do> initially fire etinguisher would work, but what happens when you used them? Unless you are using pressurized water extinguishers and you have a compressor, once used the rest would be little more than paper weights. Me? I have some extinguishers, but I guess my fire buffing took me to the extreme I own a fire engine too. Pre-EMP worry days too!

So share your thoughts on this, please.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Have a cistern, 200ft of 1 1/2" hose, 2 nozzles and a portable pump, and a full set of turnout gear,,,that should do her! As long as the building the gear is in doesn't catch first,,,,,

I bought some stuff from the department when they upgraded plus other trinkets I've picked up after 27 years as a firefighter,,, you know how that is FU, I'm sure you got tons of misc. shit too. That's why I'm set up so well. No pumper though, like you !!!

Plus the dept is only 1/3 of a mile away and being this small a town with all these good folks,, there'd be someone there to help out, even if TSHTF. I would,, in whatever limited capacity I could still. Old habits die hard ya know.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Two categories of fires to worry about: interior of the home and exterior wild fires. For the former I always keep a pressurized water extinguisher in the garage - I can refill and pressurize it with even a good quality bike pump.

The later scares me much more, but there are some good ways to prep. Defensible cleared area, exterior water tank(s) plus hoses, a pool and a gas-powered pump, and new technology like this Fire Gel product: http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/11821

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Rocster View Post
    Two categories of fires to worry about: interior of the home and exterior wild fires. For the former I always keep a pressurized water extinguisher in the garage - I can refill and pressurize it with even a good quality bike pump.

The later scares me much more, but there are some good ways to prep. Defensible cleared area, exterior water tank(s) plus hoses, a pool and a gas-powered pump, and new technology like this Fire Gel product: http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/11821
    Add some Dawn dishwashing soap to your water extinguisher. It helps break the surface tension of the water and allows it to penetrate into things like cloth and hay much better. It doesn't take much, 3 or 4 ounces.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.