Thread: Canned Food Industry Is Declining

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Canned Food Industry Is Declining

Canned Food Industry Is Declining

For most people, canned foods have been an essential pantry item used as an ingredient in cooking or as a quick and convenient meal. That may not be true anymore though, as canned food sales are declining and fewer canned foods are filling pantry shelves, according to Food & Drink Europe.

A 2012 market report, "Canned/Preserved Food Packaging in the U.S.," shows that despite the economic crisis, canned food sales are declining because many people are unwilling to sacrifice the quality of their food for a lower cost.

Worldwide canned food sales are predicted to reach nearly $80 billion by 2014, but only three of eight sectors in the industry grew in 2011, with the highest growth being in canned fish. This growth is due to higher fish consumption, improvements in sustainablysourced products, and a rise in greater-value products. Canned food sectors that were reviewed included canned sauces, canned desserts, canned fish and seafood, canned fruits, canned meat, canned pasta and noodles, canned soups, and canned vegetables.

The report reveals that the top consumer demands for food depend on freshness, good-quality ingredients, convenience, and eco-friendliness. While canned foods can meet all of these demands, consumers may not be aware of their merits.

http://www.thedailymeal.com/canned-f...stry-declining

Black Blade: Canned goods are a staple for me as hey store well and last almost indefinitely. I seriously doubt that canned goods will be going away anytime soon however.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

canned food sales are declining because many people are unwilling to sacrifice the quality of their food for a lower cost.
    The report reveals that the top consumer demands for food depend on freshness, good-quality ingredients, convenience, and eco-friendliness.
    Ballocks.

If sales of canned foods are actually declining, it's likely due to the fact that the selection of frozen foods is wider, they cost less, and stores (at least where I am) devote several times the aisle space to frozen food than they do to canned food.

As far as freshness or quality... given that take-out and junk food products made from processed Styrofoam(tm) comprise the major food groups of most of the people I know, I really doubt it.

Also, with regard to "freshness" vs. "eco-friendliness"... those are generally opposing characteristics. Your "fresh" produce probably comes from five hundred miles away via smelly Diesel trucks, and in the winter, it probably comes from Mexico or even South America. A friend of mine is a long haul trucker; it's a constant source of amusement that he picks up trailers full of oranges at the Mexican border at Laredo and then hauls them to Florida...
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

look at the crap they promote on the telly, all junk food and when i am in the supermarket, thats what I see moms buying when shopping with the kids. folks make the excuses, they work so they don't have time to prepare things from scratch. I have a sister and another niece, they throw a party and its off to costco, all the dips and appetizers are out of a box, their kids eat chick fingers 24/7, they couldn't fry a egg to save their life, you should see their faces when I ask if they have any mountain house or wise lite foods in storage.

we also need to have a discussion here, which has been extensively had on other sites about past due freshness dates on canned goods
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.