Thread: Open Carry in a Post-Apocalyptic World

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Open Carry in a Post-Apocalyptic World

Open Carry in a Post-Apocalyptic World

Published on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

By Skip Coryell

NOTE: This article first appeared in Michigan Open Carry’s new newsletter.

Michigan --(Ammoland.com)- Okay, open carriers. Here’s the scenario.

There’s just been a cyber- terrorist attack on the nation’s power grid, and a cascading power failure ensues.

Eventually every toaster, light bulb and television set goes dark and powerless, leaving the world without Twitter, Facebook and cable TV. What a dark and nasty world that would be. But that’s exactly what happens in my novel ‘The God Virus‘ .

That thin veneer of civilization is stripped away and the demons of a million souls are set loose on an unsuspecting and unprepared humanity. Well, I guess that’s a worst-case scenario. I suspect that most open carriers would be more prepared than the general population, and here’s why.

Because we open carry as a way of life, we already move and live in a world of heightened awareness. We know that at any moment in time Johnny Badguy can pop up out of the woodwork and do his darndest to put us under. But as an open carrier, you see him coming, pull your favorite firearm and double-tap center of bad-guy-exposed-mass (before most people can clear leather) to remove him from the gene pool and keep your family safe. Happy ending to a scary story.

Isn’t it nice to know your draw is quicker than most, because you don’t have to worry about first clearing that bulky clothing? When I teach my advanced concealed carry classes, I routinely watch shooters struggle with clearing the vest or jacket or shirt while drawing. It slows them down and even adds an element of danger. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched people try to re-holster their pistol with nylon or cotton fabric shoved into the holster. It just gums up the whole works and breaks your rhythm.

In today’s politically correct and “proper” world, sometimes open carriers are frowned upon by others in the gun community. We are sometimes referred to as “the rebels of the gun world.” In a post-apocalyptic world, all that political and useless BS would go away. There would only be two categories of people: those with a pulse and those without. Not only can I live with that rebellious label, but I can also wear it like a badge of honor.

In the post-apocalyptic world, after the Shit Hits the Fan (SHTF) society would cease to function as we know it. The world would suddenly revert to its natural state. (If you haven’t already, I recommend reading James Wesley Rawles’ book How to Survive the End of the World as we Know it . )

Preppers commonly refer to that as TEOTWAWKI.) In the world of TEOTWAWKI, very few people would bother to carry concealed. What for? It would serve no useful purpose. Let’s face it, the only reason peo- ple bother to cover up their gun in today’s world is so we don’t scare the sheep.

In my book Blood in the Streets: Concealed Carry and the OK Corral ( http://tiny.cc/5yv61w ) I make this statement:

“Sheep are born and bred for one purpose: to be killed and to have their parts processed into something useful by predators. They stand on the hill and go “Baa”, as they’re being slaughtered.”
    If open carriers are sheep, then Justin Bieber’s a cigar-smoking body builder.

When the SHTF you don’t want that gun covered up. You want it accessible and flaunted out front as the mother of all deterrents. In all honesty, anyone with a lick of brains will not only be openly carrying their pistols, but they’ll also be carrying their favorite shotgun or home defense rifle. Now that’s the ultimate in open carry. In a TEOTWAWKI scenario, open carry would become the norm, and concealed carry would go the way of all things electric.

However, probably the one trait open carriers possess above all others that would enable them to survive in the post-apocalyptic world is this: Many open carriers just don’t give a damn what other people think about them. They tend to do what’s right regardless of the judgment of others.

That in itself is a very freeing benefit. Open carriers would no longer be stopped by police simply because “they were carrying,” because there would be no police. It would be law of the jungle and the rule of tooth, fang and claw. In a wild world of survival of the fittest, open carriers would survive; no, more than that; they would thrive and move to the top of the food chain, helping others in their community to adapt to the brutal changes of this new life.

Hmm, is that a comforting thought, that we would survive and thrive in a world where good and evil battle for control on a daily basis? Perhaps, to some, it’s not much of a consolation being the most prepared for the end of the world as we know it. But then again … it sure beats being a sheep. And next time … we talk about Zombies! (Yes, that was a joke.) In the meantime, carry safe and carry often.

Skip Coryell lives with his wife and children in Michigan. Skip Coryell is the author of nine books including Blood in the Streets: Concealed Carry and the OK Corral, RKBA: Defending the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, The God Virus, and We Hold These Truths.

He is the founder of The Second Amendment March, a Marine Corps veteran, and the President of White Feather Press. He is an avid hunter and sportsman, a Marine Corps veteran, and a graduate of Cornerstone University. For more details on Skip Coryell, or to contact him personally, go to his website at www.skipcoryell.com . Buy Skip’s latest book The Shadow Militia at amazon.com.
    About Michigan Open Carry
    Michigan Open Carry, Inc is a Not-For-Profit organization that depends on our dues paying members to continue our operation. We are an all-volunteer organization. As such, no one is paid a salary and very few of the personal expenses of our officers are reimbursed. Won’t you consider joining us or renewing as a dues paying member today? If you need technical help with the process, please email secretary@miopencarry.org.
    http://www.ammoland.com/2013/08/open...#axzz2chyF5hwq

Black Blade: Yet "open carry" is fairly common and completely legal here in the western intermountain states. Some cops and tourists don't like it but they can go feck themselves as far as we are concerned. Freedom is more important to the people here than cowering under some standard imposed in other regimes by the slavemasters.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Heck yeah. In a post-SHTF world, the only thing I would be carrying concealed is possibly a back-up revolver in an ankle holster and a pocket knife. I would be carring at least one pistol and one rifle or carbine openly, at the very least.

Somewhat OT: has anyone read the second part to The God Virus, "The Shadow Militia"? Is it any good?
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Sad to say, but in Cincinnati open carry will get the police to pull there guns on you until there investigation is complete.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

it is getting to the point you need body armor just to go jogging in some places--TODAY.

can SHTF be far off??

just the other day there was some damage on some of the power lines that caused a steel cable tower to fall -

-some one cut the bolts that mounted it to the slab and cut some of the tension cables. a small gust of wind and the thing fell in the highway.

so yea it was intentional -- they wern't copper thiefs either as they didn't steal anything--

makes me wonder if some group out there had got big plans???

one of these days were going to have a major power grid failure , and i bet they hit the com grid too.

they it will be yo-yo for everybody.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

The worst thing we ever did was water balloons on cars driving by.

Carrying open pins ya to it though. They know you are ready so they will sneak and hide till they know they can take you out.

I would rather use deadly force as a surprise backup feature.
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MUSIBIKE View Post
    The worst thing we ever did was water balloons on cars driving by.

Carrying open pins ya to it though. They know you are ready so they will sneak and hide till they know they can take you out.

I would rather use deadly force as a surprise backup feature.
    if there determined enough yea--it could be a issue. and it could work the other way -- they see a guy lugging a UZI, AK or m4 around. they may well decide to look elsewhere for their fun.

situational awareness in a big factor here . you have to know when to be seen and when to keep a lid on.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

If this thing gets out of hand here soon, I plan on keeping it all out of sight.
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I carry openly in the pre apocalyptic world when ever i can I don't see a advantage either way

except I do prefer concealed so they don't know its coming

I knew a guy in delaware who open carried ( legal there) he open carried cause he could not get a concealed permit and every night he carried in the open in the ghetto he lived in walking the dog. one night two punks in hoodies approached him with a gun to get his gun, yep he shot one and it took a longtime to get his gun back and almost got charged
    yet had he been concealed they would not have known, they tried to rob him for his gun!!! cause they could see it
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.