Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Look inside: Local survivalist's self-made 'foxhole'

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Look inside: Local survivalist's self-made 'foxhole'

Look inside: Local survivalist's self-made 'foxhole'

Updated: Aug 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM PDT

»Play Video

SEATTLE - Somewhere in King County, underneath Barry Knowles' garage, hidden by some old cardboard, sits a 10-foot by 10-foot secret bunker.

Knowles built and installed the airtight bunker years ago.

"Everybody wants a secret room in their house - everybody does - either to hide your things or to hide yourself if you have to," Knowles said.

Knowles is one of a growing number of self-proclaimed survivalists around the country. He even appeared on National Geographic's television show "Doomsday Preppers."

Knowles explains he'll survive a nuclear war, and most people won't.

"Bad things could happen," Knowles said.

And according to Knowles, his foxholes are selling like hotcakes all across America and he's even getting orders from other countries.

Anyone can custom-order their own foxhole from Knowles' website, he'll even help you install it under your living room.

It's not just for a zombie apocalypse, he says a lot of people use it for storage or a wine cellar.

"This will hold about 1,300 bottles of wine," Knowles said.

He's outfitted his with food, water, a pump to suck and filter outside air, and the foxholes can even have plumbing.

Knowles is currently working on a 20-foot foxhole designed for businesses and schools in tornado zones. He says it will cost around $50,000.

http://www.komonews.com/home/video/L...221402911.html

Black Blade: Yep, I could use the extra storage space as well.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hate to have it in a garage and some bad guy park a car on top

Feedback Score

WHY do all these "super" preppers broadcast their bunkers, foxholes, hideaways, prepping supplies, guns, ammo and more on TV?

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If they're that super, what they're showing would be their old stuff they don't plan to use any more...

I always wanted an underground hideout. Probably came from watching too many "Hogan's Heroes" as a kid. Unfortunately, the local water table is only a few feet down. Great if I wanted an underground swimming pool...
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Selling their house. Adds to the interest.

Many Yarons ago one of the TV newsmag shows had a home where the Dad spent the last few decades hand-digging a bunker underneath their home. Thousand pound blast doors and all, the place was for sale but only serious lookers got the tour.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Personally not a fan of the cast aluminum hatch. Seems aluminum would be a poor choice for the hatch door... might be overthinking it however.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

If I hit the Powerball, I'm gonna buy the Greenbrier Hotel in W.V., LOL. Ready made super bunker with all the trimmings. Just need a little renovation, and stock up the supplies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greenbrier
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

I have seen ads for some of the old decomissioned nuclear missile sights. Some had really nice, and luxurious homes on the site with a mirror image of that home underground. I have thought if I ever won the lottery that would be pretty sweet, protection and comfort all wrapped into one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The next generation of fallout shelters: Underground bunkers welcomed in small S. Calif. city

Snippet:

LOS ANGELES — In the backyard of his remote Southern California home, Bernie Jones is etching an unconventional blueprint: a construction plan to build his underground survival shelter. It won’t be the typical, cramped Cold War-era bunker. It will hold 20 people.

Part of a small but vocal group of survivalists in Menifee, some 80 miles east of Los Angeles, Jones, 46, has pushed for the right to build a bunker on his 1-acre property for nearly a year. He wants to be ready for anything, be it natural disaster or a nuclear attack.

“The world is taking a change,” he says. “I want to be prepared. I want my family to survive.”

Americans have been building underground bunkers for decades, their interest in such shelters waxing and waning with current events. Many dug backyard fallout shelters during the Cold War, fearing a nuclear war.

This next generation of bunkers comes as many survivalists face heightened concerns of a terrorist attack, economic meltdown and for some, even solar flares or meteor showers.

“The bunker is a type of security blanket,” says Stephen O’Leary, an expert in apocalyptic and end-of-the-world theories at the University of Southern California. “They are concerned with what’s happening in the world on a massive scale.”

The move to allow below-ground bunkers has created waves among city officials who are concerned with earthquake faults in the area, safety of police and first responders answering emergency calls and the potential for owners to hide criminal activity, such as drug manufacturing.

“Most people are going to use their bunkers for good reason, but you do have some sick people out there,” Deputy Mayor Wallace Edgerton says. “Children have been held in bunkers.”

Continued: http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...m_national_pop
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

So, they're not gonna let someone build a bunker on their own property because it might be used for illegal activity?!?!?! What makes it any different than the house or garage?? You can't see someone doing something illegal there either. So are we now supposed to make our homes out of Lexan so the police and government can make sure we're not doing something illegal in our homes?? I mean seriously, THAT pissed me off. And "people have been held in bunkers"? Well they've been held in houses, garages, basements, sheds, etc.... as well. Typical Liberal mentality. Freaking idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He needs to be removed from the gene pool.

What does a bunker have to do with police and EMS responders safety while answering emergency calls?? They planning to run through your back yard while chasing a criminal or something? WTF?!?!?!
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.