Thread: Cities will kill us all!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Cities will kill us all!

Cities will kill us all!

WIll Smith in "I Am Legend" (Credit: Warner Bros. Pictures)

Snippit:

In case you hadn’t heard, cities these days are all the rage. While once upon a time the rich fled urban centers and their accompanying crowding, pollution and grime, according to Leigh Gallagher’s upcoming account in “The End of the Suburbs,” “cities are experiencing a renaissance.” According to Henry Grabar, a city is a “harbor of tolerance and assimilation, a hub of scientific innovation and economy growth, a tourist attraction, a center for the arts, a ticket to upward mobility, a key to saving the environment.” With urban agriculture on the rise, we can even grow our own food. Thanks to technology, city dwellers can give away their leftovers or get laid with nothing more than a digital photo and a swipe of a finger.

But there’s one little problem that the powers that be conveniently ignore when talking up the benefits of a metropolitan life. Cities are going to be the worst place to ride out the end of the world. Whatever the underlying cause of our doom, urban centers, with their dense populations, high crime and corruption rates, lack of natural resources, and proximity to water, are going to fall first.

As any good prepper – or conspiracy theorist – knows, there are a number of potential triggers to the end of the world as we know it. Considering human history, not to mention the current state of the world, the possibility of a World War III doesn’t sound so outlandish. Climate change models are getting increasingly pessimistic – and panicked – trying ever harder to warn us that the end is nigh. But my money is on contagious disease, though I don’t rule out zombies, an alien attack or some good old-fashioned Bible-style fire and brimstone. Ultimately, though, it doesn’t matter what causes the apocalypse. What matters is whether you survive it. And if you’re in a city, chances are, you won’t.

But apocalypse-level war and climate change would most likely take years to unfold, giving humankind the chance, hopefully, to learn some lessons and put some safeguards in place before all is lost. Contagious disease, on the other hand, might not give us that opportunity. The population density of a city makes it the perfect petri dish for a viral, bacterial or zombie pandemic on a scale that could significantly cut the ranks of people left on the planet. It was a swine flu variant that decimated the world’s population in “Contagion,” a “genetically engineered viral cataclysm” that wiped out all but one member of the human race in Margaret Atwood’s “Oryx and Crake,” and let’s not forget the estimated 75 million to 200 million people killed by the medieval Black Death. Zombie-ism and its ilk fall in the communicable disease category too, and with such a short incubation period and people living in such close proximity, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that cities will become hives of infestation.

Continued: http://www.salon.com/2013/08/29/citi...all/singleton/

Black Blade: Highly concentrated densely populated "monkey hives" (a.k.a. cities) are likely to be the first places contagion will strike and spread like wildfire. The safest place is deep in the bush (rural lands) whereone could hunker down without interacting with many people - some of whom could be infected. Then just wait out the the contagion. During the Medieval Period the Black Plague raged throughout Asia and Europe and yet the Royals and Nobles tended to fare better than most as they fled the cities and took up residence in their country estates until the pandemic subsided.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

if the city loses power??? they got about enough food on hand for about 72 hours- -MAYBE.

i don't know how much gasoline they have on hand -they probably run out in hours and they be few stations able to pump gas with out power to run the pumps, very-very few stations have a back up system. -my guess is only a fraction of the population will be able to flee the city when things go bad, how many cars and trucks are sitting on empty every day in the city?

i know people who still put $5 at a time in their wheels--people in the country know to keep the gas tank topped off.

things will sour in the city FIRST then flood outward. quickly at first then slower and slower.

if i lived in the city i would have my wheels gassed up and ready to go out of town in a minutes notice.

your going to have to be the first ones out because by the time most realize they can't make it in the city they will be no way out.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

The unusual situation which is fixing to spark up maybe tomorrow will have the roads jam packed before you could make it to the high way here. Making a run from a large city is Futile if you did not get started ahead of time.

The thing I will hate the most is the electric mains going off from the main grid during the HOT season!

SYRIA is going to retaliate big time when we do this attack. We will loose a costly section of what is in the MED right now depleating our US navy that needs to protect the main US.
    M U S I B I K E

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Take a look at any map. The points of highest insanity, crime, and liberalism are the highest population points - cities.

If you put too many mice in a cage, they'll start eating each other. Happens to sapiens, too.

The hive-dwellers proselytize that *everyone* should live in cities. Their hatred for suburbs and "flyoverland" seethes.
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i just wonder how far the DOD/DARPA got with their "designer" bio-weapons?

at one time they were working on a bio-weapon that would "prune" the human population. just kill people of a various race or ethnic background and knock the population down by certain percent --like 40% ??

they probably want to kill off all the poorer people and save the "elites" at the top-- when the time comes. and that is when food and energy become very short.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    i just wonder how far the DOD/DARPA got with their "designer" bio-weapons?

at one time they were working on a bio-weapon that would "prune" the human population. just kill people of a various race or ethnic background and knock the population down by certain percent --like 40% ??

they probably want to kill off all the poorer people and save the "elites" at the top-- when the time comes. and that is when food and energy become very short.
    Yeah, the CIA/DARPA tried at least once with sickle cell.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.