Thread: MIT Predicts That World Economy Will Collapse By 2030

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default MIT Predicts That World Economy Will Collapse By 2030

MIT Predicts That World Economy Will Collapse By 2030

MIT Predicts That World Economy Will Collapse By 2030-crowds.jpg

Jeremy Vandel via Flickr

Forty years after its initial publication, a study called The Limits to Growth is looking depressingly prescient. Commissioned by an international think tank called the Club of Rome, the 1972 report found that if civilization continued on its path toward increasing consumption, the global economy would collapse by 2030. Population losses would ensue, and things would generally fall apart.

The study was and remains nothing if not controversial, with economists doubting its predictions and decrying the notion of imposing limits on economic growth. Australian researcher Graham Turner has examined its assumptions in great detail during the past several years, and apparently his latest research falls in line with the report's predictions, according to Smithsonian Magazine. The world is on track for disaster, the magazine says.

The study, initially completed at MIT, relied on several computer models of economic trends and estimated that if things didn't change much, and humans continued to consume natural resources apace, the world would run out at some point. Oil will peak (some argue it has) before dropping down the other side of the bell curve, yet demand for food and services would only continue to rise. Turner says real-world data from 1970 to 2000 tracks with the study's draconian predictions: "There is a very clear warning bell being rung here. We are not on a sustainable trajectory," he tells Smithsonian.

Is this impossible to fix? No, according to both Turner and the original study. If governments enact stricter policies and technologies can be improved to reduce our environmental footprint, economic growth doesn't have to become a market white dwarf, marching toward inevitable implosion. But just how to do that is another thing entirely.

http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...-collapse-2030

Black Blade: I thought it would happen sooner myself.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Interesting topic - I like charts, this one is interesting as it shows what the 'Limits of Growth' study predicted and then what happened between 1970-2000. Odd that they didn't add 2000-2010 in the known trends section. Nor do they show energy production/demand(but I suppose oil use is included under 'non-renewables')
    Water for the masses (and agriculture) will be a big issue going into the future as warming/famine will increase deserts in some areas.
    MIT Predicts That World Economy Will Collapse By 2030-futurism-got-corn-graph-631-thumb.jpg
    Last edited by Rocster; 09-29-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
    - Thomas Alva Edison
    |> Military training/history DVDs: www.loose-cannon.com/military
    Latest eBook: Build Your Own AK: Vol. II

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Whenever I ask my Magic-8 Ball about the future it only says this:

Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i don't think the date of the actual "fall" can be predicted with any kind of accuracy.

the right trigger could come along and the house of cards could fall overnight.

then again it could drag along , with inflation being the main thing that we see for another 20 years.

no matter what else happens were going to see MASSIVE inflation.

hell i just bought a alternator for my van-- $181 rebuilt. seems like just a month ago i was buying NEW ones for $79 with no core charge--

yea i know it has been longer than a few months--but it is still over 100% inflation no matter how you slice it.

i suspect the "king makers" want to crash the dollar for a new world currency. so far it looks like their doing a good job of wrecking the economy.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

No problem,,,,I'll be dead by then ! Bring it!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

2030? That's half past eight tonight!
    Certified AR-15/M-16 Armorer / SIG Pistol Armorer

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    LOL it is--

and you got you got to figure the so called "think-tank" is probably trying to give the figures a spin. sort of like saying an atomic meltdown ain't sooo bad--

how many big wall-street companys that stockbrokers thought was 'like gold" farted and folded overnight? more than a few to say the least.

this is the same deal governments paper over losses and hid everything in bonds and money printing--corporations hide losses in stock issues then they just value up the paper and borrow against the new paper. later they just print more paper and borrow some more-- so it is sort of like printing money --or writing a hot check to cover a hot check.

we got another decade or two! lest live it up! break out those credit cards! LOL! kind of report kind of gives me the willies.

like when the "titanic" hit that ice burg and they told all the peons in third class it was just a minor bump. don't worry about it--then LOCKED the doors! then

they told those billion $$$ types to get in the life boats.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    My clock only goes to 12:59
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    i don't think the date of the actual "fall" can be predicted with any kind of accuracy.

the right trigger could come along and the house of cards could fall overnight.

then again it could drag along , with inflation being the main thing that we see for another 20 years.

no matter what else happens were going to see MASSIVE inflation.

hell i just bought a alternator for my van-- $181 rebuilt. seems like just a month ago i was buying NEW ones for $79 with no core charge--

yea i know it has been longer than a few months--but it is still over 100% inflation no matter how you slice it.

i suspect the "king makers" want to crash the dollar for a new world currency. so far it looks like their doing a good job of wrecking the economy.
    No shit brother! Bought a car battery lately? I just paid over a hundred bucks for a chinese fuel pump for my Bronco. Two years ago it would have been $45.00 & from Mexico. I used to whine about parts from Mexico. Now those were the good ol days!
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.