Thread: Aladdin 23 Oil Lamps

Feedback Score

Default Aladdin 23 Oil Lamps

I just picked up some Aladdin Oil Lamps to use around the ranch, anybody know much about these? Can you burn diesel, bio-diesel, veg oil or just plain Kerosene? We use dyed Kero here for some of our Farmalls that run on Kero and once they warm up they run fine, same with some old Coleman Kero Lanterns that we use Denatured Alcohol to get started. Willie Nelson has a bio-diesel truck stop down 35 that we get bio-diesel every now and then, maybe it would work.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

You would best to use most lamp oils, Walmart sells Medallion brand which works great. I would not use diesel, or bio diesel as I think it would ruin the mantles. Good quality kerosene would be ok.
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

Feedback Score

Only use clear K-1 Kerosene. Red dyed kerosene or lamp oil will clog the wicks.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Kerosene is actually only recommended for outdoor use, the Medallion oil is best for indoor use. Any lamp oil w/o paraffin is better than anything else due to absence of sulfur that is in kerosene, please note this :

QUESTION 3: What type of fuel can I use in a tubular lantern?
    ANSWER: Standard Lamp Oil, Synthetic Kerosene, or Kerosene Substitute are recommended for use indoors. Clear K-1 Kerosene with a flash point of 124 to 150 degrees is recommended for outside use.

The approved fuels for indoor or outdoor use in Tubular Lanterns and Flat Wick Oil Lamps are:
    1. Lamplight Farms® Clear Medallion Brand Lamp Oil, (#60020, #60003 aka #6300, #60005 aka #6400, and #6700 Only ) Flash Point: 145 Degrees Fahrenheit
    2. W.M. Barr & Co. Klean-Heat® Kerosene Substitute (#GKKH99991, 128oz, sold by Home Depot SKU #391-171) Flash Point: 145 Degrees Fahrenheit
    3. Crown® Brand Clear Lamp Oil (#755946) Flash Point: 141 Degrees Fahrenheit
    4. Genuine Aladdin® Brand Lamp Oil (#17552, 32 oz., and #17554, 128 oz.) Flash Point: 141 Degrees Fahrenheit
    5. MVP Group International Florasense® Brand Lamp Oil (#MVP73200, 64oz. and #MVP73201, 32 oz., Sold by Wal-Mart ) Flash Point: 142 Degrees Fahrenheit
    6. Recochem Clear Lamp Oil (#14-573, 710mL, Sold in Canada) Flash Point: 124 Degrees Fahrenheit

The approved fuels for outdoor use in Tubular Lanterns and Flat Wick Oil Lamps are:
    1. Non-Dyed (Clear) Kerosene with a Flash Point Between 124 and 150 Degrees Fahrenheit
    2. Sunnyside® Brand 1-K Kerosene (#700G1, #80132, #801G1, #801G3,and #801G5) Flash Point: 125 Degrees Fahrenheit
    3. Coleman® Brand Kerosene Fuel (#3000000270) Flash Point: 130 Degrees Fahrenheit
    4. Crown® 1-K Fuel Grade Kerosene (#KEM41, #KEP01, #KEP25, #KEM05) Flash Point: 150 Degrees Fahrenheit
    5. Crown® Citronella Torch and Lamp Fuel (#CTLP01, #CTLP02, #CTLP48) (OUTDOOR USE ONLY, cut 50:50 with kerosene to extend wick life.) Flash Point: 141 Degrees Fahrenheit
    6. Tiki® Brand Citronella Torch Fuel (OUTDOOR USE ONLY, cut 50:50 with kerosene to extend wick life.) Flash Point: 145 Degrees Fahrenheit

NOTICE: Dyed kerosene or lamp oil will eventually clog the wick and inhibit proper operation. It can also permanently stain the lamp or lantern.
    If you purchase kerosene from a gas station, make sure that it is from a "blocked" pump so that it is clear and not dyed red.
    (Un-blocked kerosene pumps by law must dispense dyed kerosene which will clog lantern wick, and cause it not to burn properly.)

NOTE: DIESEL, BIO-DIESEL AND OLIVE OIL ARE NOT SUITABLE SUBSTITUTES FOR ANY OF THE APPROVED FUELS AS THEY HAVE A FLASH POINT OVER 200 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT

"Copyrighted Text by W.T. Kirkman Used With Permission, Courtesy of www.lanternnet.com "
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I used the Aladdin's for years when I lived in upstate NY in the 70's and having no power there that's what I used for almost 6 years as well as a wood stove only for heat. I don't remember what model they were but I soon learned that K-1 Kero smokes way to much in them and that a quality lamp oil was the only way to go after having to replace every wick in every lantern after using dyed kero a couple times, it leaves a crust on the wick, and clogs the wicks pores so you don't get a good fuel transfer up the wick, plus it leaves a oily residue on walls, furniture and every other thing the smoke lands on. They don't like any scented or citronella type oils either.

There great lanterns but you,, MUST,,, use a quality lamp oil for sure or you'll be changing wicks constantly,,and round wicks ain't cheap for them. Where I got my fuel at the most reasonable prices and for the best quality was at a local fuel distributor, I'd just buy a 5 gal can at a time and never had issues after that. Save yourself the head ache and get a high quality lamp oil from a fuel distributor and you won't be sorry.
    They were used 7 days a week for 6 years and on every camping trip and back yard party for 30 years after that. 2 are still in use and working great at a friends camp after almost 40 years of use. I'd say that's a pretty damn good track record after being used for as long as they have been.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.