Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Home Security System

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Interesting thread.. As times get tougher out there, more people will get desperate to do things they normally would not do..
    In addition to a nice system like BB has.. Don't miss the small options a lot of stores are selling.. Lowes or Home Depot has a small battery operated alarm that you can put under a rug.. Someone steps on it, it sounds like a WWII air-raid siren..
    They also sell a small rubber wedge.. If your in a hotel or motel sleeping you put it wedged at the bottom of your door.. Door can still be opened but it sounds like a Fire Engine is in the room on full blast.. Only like $10 ??.
    Barking dog alarms, human voice alarms, when tripped. "Who is there?" Check them out, all kinds of novel noise making devices..
    konrue interesting about the monitored cameras.. They can be set up for self monitoring record only also.. Least you get the guys picture..
    Oh God I could write a book on the funny stories we heard.. Everyone wants to tell you about their break in.. "We see it on the news, never thought it would happen to me."
    One install we did. Guy would go to work and leave his front window cracked open a bit.. Not really a safe idea..
    Or so the perp thought also. He reached in to open the window. His dog, that made Cujo look like a poodle locked on the guys arm and would not let go.. Kind of like a bear trap.. His screaming like a banshee got the L.O.s their.
    They just sat and watched and said "We have to wait for the owner to get here, just don't move." Don't move? his arm was hamburger...
    Dog was friendly as hell when we got their. Just don't put your arm in his window when Dad is not home..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

This is one a friend did several years ago that worked well and was a legal take off on my bear trap idea. A shit load of rat traps,muskrat traps and what ever other miscellaneous small game traps you can get your hands on.

He'd gone on a week long fishing trip during the summer and he took my suggestion about critter traps. I loaned him about 10 muskrat traps and and various others and he bought a pile of rat traps and set them at the only 2-3 areas where entrance could be accessed. He'd already pretty well secured all the windows, all but a couple and he had one door that wasn't very secure. So he took my suggestion.He also had video cameras and game cameras set up inside and outside too.

Long story short someone broke in,and stepped on one of the muskrat traps catching the guys toes in it, well that made him drop to the floor getting tangled up in several other assorted traps that were scattered about. It was hilarious to watch,,every time the guy tried to get up or move, he'd stuck his hand ,other foot or what ever else he touched,,, another one would get him,,dumb fuck left a trail of traps half way across the yard when he left and got caught to boot.

This was 5-6 years ago, maybe more now, but I'll see if he still has a copy of the surveillance video and pictures from the game cameras,,,it's a hoot to watch and funny as Hell. But I think he lost it when his computer died. The dumb ass must of had 6 traps or more on him when he went flying back out that window. Funny as shit, you should have seen the look on the guys face,,,,,

Then when the guy was charged he said it wasn't him, of course the surprise video's and pictures proved otherwise and when he went to trial all that was submitted as evidence,,

there wasn't a dry eye in the court room from all the laughter and even the judge couldn't contain himself and had a hard time composing himself. They had to call a recess just to get the court room back under control after the video and pictures were shown,,even the Sargent at Arms was cracking up and needed a break.

Needless to say he was convicted of B&E. And extreme embarrassment,,,,the whole court room was still laughing when he was convicted and sentenced,, One of the only times I'd ever seen a judge snickering when he passed sentence,,,,

Funny part,,same judge as I had from my bear trap fiasco from 2 years previously.

I love critter traps,,ever smacked you're finger with a rat trap or small game trap???,,imagine a half dozen on various parts of your body all snapping you at the same time, ranging in size from rat traps to coon traps,,,OUCHIE!!!!!!

I still like bear traps best,they truly leave a lasting impression,,but they'll get ya in trouble,,,,FOR SURE!!!

Don't use those. But small one's are still legal,,,,hint , hint,,,,,and just plain entertaining if you catch it on film,,,

I'll see if that video is still around. You'll love it,,

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile

That is funny. I would love to see that.. 16 year old punk breaks into a woman's home, we get the call soon after for an alarm system install..
    Nice lady starts telling us her story, they all wanted to tell us what happened..
    "I was in bed upstairs asleep. All of a sudden I felt someone shaking my foot.. Scared the hell out of me, I turned on the light.. Their was a teenage Negro standing at the end of my bed.. What do you want?"
    - I need $50.
    - I do not have any cash, will you take a check?
    - Sure, $50 though..
    - O.K., let me see some I.D. so I can get your name correct..
    - O.K.. Here..
    - Thank you, have to go now..
    - Goodbye..

L.O.s knew the kid, had him before the sun came up.. Said they were laughing so much, they to had to go outside. Woman did editorials for the Florida Sun Sentinel news paper, even wrote the story up..
    Yupper, their out there..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

It was just so God Damn funny in the court room that day,,seriously I don't think I'd ever laughed so much in my life,,,

Or half the people there that day, for that matter.

I'm sure it's one the judge won't soon forget either and will tell his Grand Kids about and at every party for years to come,, I still do,,

The judge was literally laughing so hard at the video he had to pause it to wipe the tears from his eyes,3/4 the way through it,this whole thing went on for about 35-40 seconds, at least before the guy finally tumbled back out the window, I gather there was about 40 traps scattered around those 2 weak points of entry. and it looked like he had about half of them hanging off HIM when he went back out the window,,

Dumb Bastard!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Security Cameras

I figure if someone wants to get me they probably will. A determined person can likely defeat todays homes. Even most calibres will penetrate steel containers. I try to make my places look like they're lived in so people tend to shy away from them. I have a couple friends who have these 8-camera Night Owl Security Systems and are able to monitor their homes while here in the oil patch. I am considering the same if I can get WiFi or DSL. They are alerted by motion-sensor to thier laptops via email and pop-up on screen. They can check in anytime and see up to 8 windows covering various angles on their properties. I now have one place rented and another watched by a friend and a couple nephews who watch over the place while I am away. I also have a timer for lights and television so it looks like someone is home as well. Still, nothing is fool-proof but it is good to have a heads up before "visitors" arrive.

- Black Blade

Night Owl: http://www.nightowlsp.com/Products/Complete-Kits/O-885

Night Owl’s O-885 is an advanced H.264 smart DVR complete with 8 night vision cameras for 24/7 video surveillance for your home or business. The O-885 complete security kit allows you to access it remotely from both the internet via Safari 5.0 and Internet Explorer. You can also access your DVR remotely through your select 3G/4G smart phones including your iPhone, Android and select Blackberry models. This complete video surveillance kit comes equipped with everything you will need to setup the DVR security system yourself. This kit comes with 8 night vision cameras that allow you to record up to 30 feet in complete darkness. This DVR has a 500GB pre-installed SATA hard drive that provides over 1 year of recording. The DVR system is also packed with features like Mac and Windows compatibility, motion activated recording, real time email alerts, digital watermarking of recorded files, USB backup, D1 recording and a simple point and click interface. Night Owl’s surveillance systems do not charge any monthly fees and give you around the clock security day or night, so stop paying monthly fees for an outdated alarm system. In addition, Night Owl is one of the only security companies with 24/7 technical phone support. Rest assured that you will able to reach us any time, any day.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'd looked at that same system for around here,but don't know anything about them, how do the folks that have them, like them, Black Blade? Had they had any issues with the system or the set up of them, that you know of? One of my buildings, the garage is over 100' away from the house and I didn't know what the camera transmitter range was or if there all hard wired. I'll need at least 2 wireless ones for my application sense running a line isn't practical.

The places I've checked them out online don't say weather or not it is wireless camera compatible. It sure looks like it's just wired cameras with no info if it upgradable for wireless cameras. Any idea??? BB

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

a defensive position with depth, various layers of cams, game-cams along with other devices placed in overlapping locations and even a few obvious dummies so an intruder thinks he ain't been spotted.

anything that dials 911 ain't much help as the sheriff at best will come after about 45 minutes , last time they took three hours to send a patrol--

so it is turning into YO_YO out here.

neighbors ain't much help either -- their too busy cooking meth to be bothered--LOL!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I just want a basic system to keep an eye out and record who ever might be slinking around. No major SHTF defense type thingy.

Just sick of getting up and checking 10,000 times a day when the dogs bark !!! And they do!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have friends on the drill rig who have Logi-Tech and Dropcam cameras (continuous recording to the cloud 30 days - about 60 GB bandwidth). they check in and view the interior and exterior of their homes. Effective motion detection range about 75'-100' no problem. I am limited to cell phone and satellite options for now so it/s strategically placed no flash/black flash game cameras (I get a lot of photos of deer and pronghorn). A local ISP is putting in a tower a few miles away in line-of-sight but I will need a larger dish for reception but at last I can get unlimited bandwidth which DISH internet and Verizon don't have or is very costly. I could use the Logi-Tech or Night Owl type systems and turn on only when motion detected but need a better higher speed service like WiFi or DSL until SimpliSafe rolls out their camera options for their system. Might be overkill but at least I do have some remote security - just like all the bells and whistles though.

Now a motion detector linked Gattlin Gun would be nice too (really overkill eh?).

- Black Blade
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.