Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home Security System

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Home Security System

I bought a SimpliSafe home security system and got the monitoring service. I got the base station, a couple motion detectors, several entry sensors, panic button, siren, key chain remotes and keypad They also sell the freeze alarm, water sensor (for flooding - i.e. broken water heater), fire and carbon monoxide alarms. Soon they claim they will add remote video cameras. I like this one because it's wireless and I can manage my settings online or from my Android.

It took about 30 minutes to set up and get linked up. I have a 72 hour period that runs in test mode before it goes "live" on the monitorung service. So far I have been testing and I get alerts from all my sensors and my ear-piercing alarms work. For the price I can't complain. I spent about $330 for a refurbished unit from the SimpliSafe site online. I may add a couple more entry sensors for a couple of gun safes.

The USPS delivered everything yesterday. For some reason I thought it would be a bigger box.

Keychain remotes and Motion Detector

Entry Sensor and Panic Button

Keypad and Base Station

Security Sign for the Cabin or maybe on the gate

We'll see how this works.

- Black Blade
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

Good luck and I truly hope it works well for you. Over the years many do-it-yourself alarm systems have come and gone because they become more problems and the owner gets to flustered to fix them properly.
    good guns and bad girls what a life.

How can you trust a government that can't run a business of sell sex and booze without bankrupting it.

Feedback Score

That is really (I mean it) I just got a Remington 870 .but a cool set up when u can't be home.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Bear traps and ugly dogs I tell ya,,they work every time!!! Yuckity Yuck!!!

Better than anything I've found,,,,,

Feedback Score

We have 2 dogs that bark their brains out when anyone enters the property. They have NEVER failed to alarm.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

BB. I installed security systems as one of my many jobs in life.. Research the system that automatically connects to your cell phone to alert you when the system alarms.. You then call the Police or have a neighbor check your place out..
    Monitoring is where the companies make their money, not on the install.. Your monitoring company could be down here in Florida. They sell the contracts for people to stare at computers and wait for alarms to go off.. Very very secure buildings.. This as banks and other high end businesses are monitored.
    Through most of the country, Police are sick and tired of going to false alarms.. Most times for homes, they will not even respond.. Or they charge you for responding..
    Thieves hate noise, lights, cameras, dogs, anything that will slow them down.
    Radio Shack or research online for the system to dial your cell phone if the system trips.. Screw the monitoring companies..

This alarm also promotes the concept of neighborhood watch since a user can program his own phone number and his neighbors and the neighbor can do the same. That way, we watch out for each other. And in current times when most cops are not willing to answer unverified calls from the burglar alarm companies due to so many false alareconomic ms, this alarm will result in the neighbor calling the cops and the chances of getting a response will be much better.
    http://www.amazon.com/Security-Burgl...ews/B000SMM1DY
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yeah, I set it up to my cell phone. I can arm/disarm on my cell phone or online. I have the system tied to alternative numbers to relatives as well. My options are limited to cell phone wireless since there are no other options here except satellite. I use the montoring service because the live feed camera options are unavailable so far and it's cheaper than the big expensive services like ADT but it can operate without the service if you want (I often work out of state).

A few friends who have Wifi and DSL have set up cameras operated on motion detectors and send alerts to their cell phones and they are then able to log in and watch the live feed. I was hoping to set up a few Logitech cameras that operate from the motion detectors but the satellite upload/download is too slow for satellite apparently. The SimpliSafe plans a roll out of camera options but nothing yet. I do have some game cameras set up but all I get a lot of pictures of myself, deer, pronghorn and elk (which is good). I could add the Logitech cameras anyway and set up wireless feed to record on a hidden DVR (crawlspace, attic space, shop, etc.). Still trying to find good camera options.

As soon as the surveillance camera option is available I might drop the monitoring service as there's no contract to lock you in but for under $30/month it's a drop in the bucket and will be slightly offset by the savings on my homeowners insurance and will see if it can be tax deductable. Anyway I think this is a cheap option in the meantime. Thankfully I have good neighbors (Prepper types) down the hill who keep an eye out for any outsiders. No one I talked to in this area ever heard of any burglaries or other crimes here. Still, I am always looking at all the alternatives and other options. Fire is probably the big one here in late summer.

I would like to hear what others here do for security. Dogs are good. Cameras are a good deterent (even the fake ones). Leaving a radio on and timers for lights in different rooms. So what else can be done - legally done that is...
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Ever install we did, 99% of the time the break in was during the day.. They do not want to come when your home eating dinner..
    Basics, keep bushes and shrubs away from your home.. Keep a T.V. on loud when your out.. Security lights for sure, they hate light..
    I forget the sequence. But we, color coded our phone hookup so if it was disconnected, it automatically tripped your alarm system..
    If you loose power, be sure to have a battery back up connected to your system.. New systems now have gone digital, we were still old school..
    Use old school, legal stuff, for back up.. Let your imagination run on that one.. I learned quite a bit about security systems during my internship.. Sadly, so do the pros know how to bypass systems.. Your system will deter the amateurs only..
    Small cameras on a separate battery back up system are a must.. Booby traps are interesting, but illegal, so we wont talk about them.
    Any booby trap that could kill someone, your going to jail. I do not care how long the perps record is.. Slowing them down is a whole different ball game..
    They had a good show on T.V. for a bit, where they had pros break in homes and they filmed them.. They got in every home and out. That is where small cameras come in, your not stopping them, but their on film..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

http://burglarbomb.com/AB-2000.aspx

This.. BB... Just tie a string around your finger when you leave home and set it.. Even a pro gets this in their face, they may pee on your wall, but their out of their..
    Add: Set your lazer lights at what is called "Pet Alley." Higher than where your dog or cat walks, but a human can still trip it..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

BB:
    The issue with the surveillance camera option is bored monitoring techs can be looking in when you do not want them too. I was told by an ADT boss about this
    and he was trying to get it fix at his center they changed it so techs can only veiw when thw alarm has went off. But it can be got around. That is why I would go with self monitoring.
    Gunco Member 2241
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.