Thread: Self-Sufficiency movement on the rise

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Self-Sufficiency movement on the rise

Self-Sufficiency movement on the rise

Rising food prices, economic crises and concern about natural disasters such as the fires and floods of the last year have encouraged some in Falcon and Colorado Springs to learn more about the growing self-sufficiency – or prepper – movement. Some are making sure they have enough food and water to make it through a blizzard or extended power outage. Others are taking it a step further to completely reduce their day-to-day reliance on stores and public utilities.

“If I could make a wish with a genie, I'd be a homesteader,” said Brian Greenleaf, teacher at the Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind in Colorado Springs and hobby prepper. “I'm very interested in gardening, animals and other off-grid stuff. We've kept rabbits and chickens and try to keep our pantry stocked with food. We have a bit of water set back and try to grow as much of our own food as possible.”

Greenleaf and some like-minded friends attended the Denver Self-Reliance Expo in October. The traveling event provides seminars and vendor displays to people interested in the self-sufficiency movement. “It was a great event,” Greenleaf said. “I learned a lot about permaculture, the sustainable approach to intensive agriculture. They had speakers on bee keeping, medical care and fruit trees that survive on the Front Range. It got me excited about a lot of new things.”

Craig McConnell, Falcon real estate agent, said he has sold more acreage land in the last 10 months than in the previous four years combined. “People are getting sick and tired of being in the city,” he said. “I'm seeing more of that all the time.” However, McConnell warns that buying a large plot of land does not mean instant self-sufficiency. “Some are city slickers wanting to be a farmer, but don't have the ins and outs of making it work,” he said. “You can't just easily go out on 40 acres and expect to live off it right away. It's just not that feasible.”

The National Geographic Channel shows that Doomsday Preppers and other popular culture references to the survival extremist movement have created a negative image of the self-sufficiency movement. “The word 'prepper' is linked with fear,” Faith said. “We didn't start doing this out of a place of fear. We're not gun-toting ammo stockpilers.”

“We don't have a lot of the crazy stuff,” Greenleaf said. “But if I can make it instead of buy it, I'd rather give it a shot. We're trying to put ourselves in a position where we can be more rural. I don't like my neighbors telling me I can't have a goat.”

Even if what prepper bloggers term “The End of the World as We Know It” doesn't happen any time soon, county preppers believe their actions will help them in good times as well. “It answered my concerns about helping the environment,” Faith said. “It's more control over our food, nutrition and food prices any time.”

Continued: http://www.newfalconherald.com/Displ...ArticleID=8947

Black Blade: "Doomsday Preppers" is just a silly "Unreality Show". The idea behind prepping and self-sufficiency is to take control over your food supply and basic needs in order to minimize costs and have a healthier lifestyle. It's about taking back control over ones life. Cutting the cord and becoming self reliant is the dream of all free people. Also provides a greater sense of freedom.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

The reality is the thing called prepping today is nothing more than what my depression era parents did, and their parents did, and their parents before them did. They did it through gardening, canning, drying fruits and vegetables, having a root cellar, and putting away food for a rainy day or just for everyday use over the winter months.

The reality is much of society today works and lives on the same type of supply that many industries do. Never have more supplies on hand for more than a few days because all it does is add to cost and mean you have to have a means to store it. The problem always coming in that when the supply chain breaks down, whether through natural disaster, civil unrest, or perhaps a truck driver's strike, that last minute supply system falls into chaos.

It is true that much of history is just a big circle replaying the same thing over and over and the prepper craze is a realization that in the end we have to count on ourselves in troubled times.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My dad "borrowed"all my foxfire series of books from the 70's and he would just read em and nod his head time to time. Thats we did it in the depression era boy.didn't teach him just reminded him of being a kid. He taught me a lot more than any book.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.