Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: National Geographic's ‘Doomsday Preppers’ visits Buckley survivalist group

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default National Geographic's ‘Doomsday Preppers’ visits Buckley survivalist group

National Geographic's ‘Doomsday Preppers’ visits Buckley survivalist group

Tyler Smith stands back with two of his sons as wife Katie blasts pumpkins Friday at their home in Buckley. Smith started the survivalist group Spartan Survival to protect his family from a doomsday event. Smith will be featured on “Doomsday Preppers” at 6 and 8 p.m. Tuesday on the National Geographic Channel. DEAN J. KOEPFLER — Staff photographer

Snippit:

Though the scenarios of how an apocalyptic event would paralyze or destroy society varies, a group of like-minded individuals in East Pierce County believes a good defense is the best way to prepare for doomsday.

And some believe a good offense is even better.

“We’re not in it to stockpile. We’re in it to take what you have and there’s nothing you can do to stop us,” Tyler Smith says. “We are your worst nightmare, and we are coming.”

Smith, 29, is the leader of Spartan Survival. The group has more than 80 dues-paying members. Smith founded the organization in 2005 to train and prepare others on survivalism.

On Tuesday night, Smith’s story will be told on the National Geographic Channel survivalist TV show “Doomsday Preppers.”

“Doomsday Preppers” chronicles those who believe a disaster will strike the country and cause overwhelming societal upheaval. They often go to great lengths to protect themselves and their families from all manner of danger — including other people.

Smith thinks a major domestic terrorist attack is the most likely scenario. He envisions a day when martial law will rule the land and he’ll have to protect and provide for his family.

For Smith, survivalism isn’t just a hobby or a philosophy. He makes his living from being a survivalism consultant.

Back at home base the couple have medical supplies, food and weapons.

National Geographic got some of the facts about Smith wrong in the show. They say he has a six-month food supply. Smith says it’s more like two years.

Smith keeps some of his supplies on his farm. On Friday, he and the other members hauled out dozens of sealed containers of beans, rice, sugar and pancake mix. He also displayed some of their dozens of 25-pound bags of rice and beans. The group has buried caches of food in the region, the locations of which they keep secret.

The food would be supplemented by deer, elk and other animals they hunt.

Smith also has MREs — beef stew is his favorite — a rain-catching system and homemade pepper spray.

Spartan Survival is not a political group, Smith says. Contrary to expectations, he says he is pro-government and a supporter of President Barack Obama.

“I totally love this country and I would do anything for it,” Smith says. “We feel we’re doing a service to our nation by being prepared.”

He and his compatriots just fear what might happen if society breaks down. They plan on being survivors, not victims.

Most preppers, Smith says, are concerned with marauders taking their supplies. It’s not an unfounded fear, he says.

“We are those people,” he says. “We’ll kick your door in and take your supplies. … We are the marauders.”

As part of his strategy, Smith and Pedrini are developing a suit of armor to wear on his foraging forays. Smith says his homemade protection will be bulletproof, lightweight and stronger than anything sold in a store.

“It will also make me the apex predator in my area, and that’s all that matters,” he says.

The pair used salvaged and bought steel and aluminum. A steel grill from an old security gate makes up some of the protection. Smith wants the suit to weigh from 80 to 100 pounds.

Smith used bathroom tiles wrapped in woven fiberglass and coated in roofing tar as one of the bullet-stopping layers. The suit must survive bullets from .22- and .30-06-caliber rifles and a 12-gauge shotgun, he says.

In addition to those weapons Smith’s arsenal includes .270-, .30-30-, .223-caliber and AK-47 rifles and 9 mm and 45 mm handguns.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/1...-doomsday.html

Black Blade: How absurd. My experiences abroad tell me such people who plan to survive by "stealing" won't live long. Eventually they are removed by attrition and vigilantes. As he's an "Obama Supporter" that tells me he doesn't think things through very well. Lemme see, he's fat, out of shape and will wear 80-100 lbs of armor while carrying off his "booty"? He will die of a heart attack first. Sort of a "dead man walking" when the SHTF. What people won't do to be on television. Sheesh!
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

Pardon my bluntness, but what a complete dumbass. Does he believe people will willingly sit there let him kick their door down in and give him everything they have without a fight? Him and his 80 followers would be corpses in my small village in a matter of hours and we don't have any survival group here.

To me the vast majority of people on Doomsday Preppers are attention seekers with an IQ hovering around 70.

Feedback Score

And a 22 in ur eye really makes ur body armor obsolete

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

So his " Lightweight" suit will weigh 100 pounds? One blast of pepper spray & he'll be flopping around on the ground like a turtle on his back! Heh...Heh

What a maroon.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

LOL - Turns out this idiot is a felon and there's a warrant out for his ass!!!

'Doomsday Preppers' Tyler Smith arrested for illegal firearms

Snippit:

BUCKLEY, Wash. —

When Tyler Smith appeared on National Geographic's reality show "Doomsday Preppers" he did so with rifle in hand. Smith, 26, shoots at targets and tests homemade body armor while narrating his exploits for the camera.

Smith is the leader of the survivalist group Spartan Survival. He founded the organization in 2005 to train and prepare others for various doomsday scenarios.

The problem is, Smith is a felon, convicted of communicating with a minor for immoral purposes and theft. He's not supposed to go anywhere near a gun.

"Even if he doesn't own the guns, he can't handle, have those weapons, fire them (or) possess them in any way," said Pierce County Sheriff's Detective Ed Troyer.

After spotting him on Doomsday Preppers, Sheriff's investigators began doing some preparing of their own, getting a warrant for Smith's arrest and picking him up Wednesday morning at a home in Bonney Lake where's he's been staying since he left his farm in Buckley.

"Doomsday Preppers" is a reality show that features people often described as survivalists stockpiling food and firearms, getting ready for the fall of society and a lawless future in which individuals must fight to stay alive.

He also bragged for the camera about his plans to raid and loot other doomsday preppers' supplies when the end times came. "All your shiny AR's your high powered .308 rifles, your 50,000 rounds of ammo are all going to be ours", Smith warned.

Pierce county investigators say it was those claims, and Smith's brazen use of firearms on camera that landed him back in jail. "What led us to this guy was himself. He put himself on TV and in newspaper articles and he did things that scared the neighbor," said Troyer.

Smith is a level one sex offender following his conviction in King county in 2009, but he has not registered with law enforcement since his move to Pierce county. Troyer said he could face an additional charge of failing to register as a sex offender.

Continued: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/nationa.../'Doomsday
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

Looks like a freak.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

My wife loved that this dumbass got what he deserved. We watched that episode, and it just flat out pissed her off that he could be so freaking arrogant as to think that "He and his merry band of marauders" were going to take everyone else's stuff and could not be stopped. She said she'd drop him with one shot. LMAO!!!! (she is not a violent woman at all!) I told her that he had been arrested and she said finally, he gets his due.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Sure it wasn't his gay band of merry marauders?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

It's assholes like that that will be food for the vultures. Let them come, and they will die.

Bradrock the comment that he would be flopping on his back like a turtle is downright hilarious.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score

TWO THINGS
    1) I know Dangerous Old Men, and he ain't it.
    2) Why wasn't he arrested for child abuse? Exposing toddlers to shotgun blasts with no protection is freakin nutz.
    Hunter
    I think his CB handle is 'Summers Eve'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.