Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 5 Ways to Store Water for Short Term Emergencies

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default 5 Ways to Store Water for Short Term Emergencies

5 Short Term Methods to Store Water

Snippit:

There are ways to prepare for and store water for short term emergencies. I have found five solutions to storing water that I wanted to share. I have purchased many of these and some I plan to purchase in the next month to bulk my water stores up.

Water Bricks - Made of rugged, high density polyethylene (HDPE) these containers hold up to 3.5 gallons of liquid. These unique water containers, unlike any other, can also hold food and other life essentials while adding value by cross stacking up to 4 feet for maximum efficient storage. I plan on buying these to bulk up our water supplies.

Survival Water Pouches – Think survival Capri Suns. These heavy duty packets are filled with 125 ml sachets of purified water. They are easy to dispense and have a shelf life of 5 years. We have these in our pantry to use in bug out situations.

2 Liter Soda Bottles – This is a preparedness measure you can do at home (and recycle at the same time). Thoroughly wash your soda bottles with a mixture of soapy water and a ensure all soap residue is washed out. Fill bottles with clean drinking water (tap water is fine to store) and screw cap on and secure. Note: It’s best to use only soda bottles for water storage. Milk protein and fruit sugars cannot be adequately removed from these containers and provide an environment for bacterial growth when water is stored in them.

55 gallon Plastic Drums – Made from FDA approved polyethylene resin (and BPA free), this plastic barrel has the capacity to hold enough water to supply a family of 4 over 13 days worth of water, or 2 people nearly a 30 day supply of water. The dark blue color of this 55 gallon barrel restricts light and helps control growth of harmful algae and bacteria.

Water BOB - The waterBOB® is a water containment system that holds up to 100 gallons of fresh drinking water in any standard bathtub in the event of an emergency. Constructed of heavy duty food grade plastic, the waterBOB® keeps water fresh and clean for drinking, cooking, washing and flushing. This water storage method should be used when a disaster is imminent and about to hit. I have 3 water BOBs stashed away in our emergency supply closet just in case!
    In addition to these short term water supply suggestions, I would also recommend purchasing a filtration system for longer term water needs as well as a portable filtration system for your bug out bags. To learn the different methods of purifying water, click here.
    Tips for Water Supplies:

Store containers in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Because most plastic beverage containers degrade over time, store them away from heat and light to prevent leakage. Because hydrocarbon vapors can penetrate polyethylene plastics, store water in plastic containers away from gasoline, kerosene, pesticides, or similar substances.

To ensure you water supply is fresh, rotate your water supply regularly.

Inspect your water supply at least every six months to see whether the containers have leaks or if any of the above problems have occurred.

Don’t forget to have water stored for pets.

Look around for local water sources in your area that you can access for a back up water supply.
    We need water to survive – and our preps should reflect this important need. An aspect that I love the most about preppers is that we love to have back ups for our back ups. Having a short term water supply that you regularly rotate into your kitchen will ensure you have a fresh water source to turn to during a short lived emergency. As well, having filtration systems and portable water purification tools will ensure you can purify water for longer term purposes.

As much as I would love to say I am completely prepared, there are holes in my prep supplies and I am making a concerted effort to change that. I want to ensure that my family has enough water to thrive and utilizing some of these suggested preps can help me do just that.

http://www.pakalertpress.com/2013/09...o-store-water/

Black Blade: Fortunately I have streams on my properties and wells. Still, I have a couple blue 55-gal water barrels just in case. Sucks to have no water for cooking and bathing. I rather not draw water from the creek in the dead of winter either. My water storage came in handy when the power went out for a few days during the last blizzard.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

Thanks Black Blade.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Thanks for posting this. Although I have some water stored - I need to store more. There are some water sources close by - and have water filters and purifiers, but I'm sure others will be trying to use those water sources too.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Been looking at WaterBricks for storage too. I read that they can be filled and frozen which for me is killing two birds with one stone as I can keep some in the chest freezer as a back up should the power go out. Since power goes out for a few days during storms this should help, even in winter when it is freezing in the garage. The reviews I read are mostly positive and they take up less space than the barrels so I could stack a few (like Legos) indoors for water and bulk food storage. I could use the blue ones for water and the tan ones for food (mostly grains).

When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I like the idea of the water bricks but man are they expensive!!

Around here we have allot of maple syrup producers and wine makers and they use these large,,around 250 gal, plastic tanks inside a stainless cage/pallet arrangement with a commercial size stainless valves. I've seen them around used for $200-250 or so. Not bad in the overall scheme of things when you start comparing prices of storage jugs that will hold that much water. Ya there static when filled,,but what to hay if it's for a primary water supply, no big deal. You can move them around pretty easy on hard surfaces when there empty though. I'm guessing there about 250-300 lbs empty, just a guess but I can slide them around OK so they can't be to heavy.

That might be a good reasonably priced option for some of you folks looking for bulk water storage, If I remember right they're standard pallet size and about 5' tall and stack-able. I've seen 2-3 other different sizes too but couldn't tell ya how big they are. Jim Dandy for in the corner of a garage or out building out of the way. And they aren't bothered by freezing. One of the local wine makers use's them to freeze the grape mash and it don't bother them at all being frozen. They sit outside all winter froze solid,,no issues at all,, so he says. Another nice thing,,they slide right into a pick up or most any utility trailer that will handle a pallet size load for easy transporting, so pick up is easy.

Just an option you guys may not know about.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have also been mulling over the idea of building a cistern but would have to likely be buried or a large tank above ground. Still could be some freezing issues but have a neighbor who has one uphill from her place. Probably not an issue as I have year-round streams/creeks on my property and nearby but just another possibility. I had to assess how much time I could go before needing water during the last blizzard. I calculated my water usage and figured I needed to build up my ion house storage on the order of several weeks. I can use one of the generators to power the well but now am looking at some passive energy source to power the pump (maybe solar or wind) but not sure if that would provide enough juice to lift the water without a bank of deep-cycle batteries (i.e. Trojan Batteries). Lots of ideas floating around my head now. LOL

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I have a underground cistern here under my porch that is capped off. I didn't use it enough to be practical and the water turned stagnant quite fast. I cleaned it out and disconnected it and it just sits vacant and empty.

Any above ground source of water may not be a reliable source if a nuclear or biological event happens. That will be contaminated for sure.

Gravity feed would be ideal too while in the planing stages,,if possible.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default ‘Chaos’ as West Virginia customers pack stores to buy water

Snippit:

Schools and restaurants closed, grocery stores sold out of bottled water, and state legislators who had just started their session canceled the day's business after a chemical spill in the Elk River in Charleston, even as the extent of the danger remained unclear.

The federal government joined the state early Friday in declaring a disaster and announced an investigation into the spill, while the West Virginia National Guard planned to distribute bottled drinking water to emergency services agencies in the nine affected counties.

Shortly after the Thursday spill from Freedom Industries hit the river and a nearby treatment plant, a licorice-like smell enveloped parts of the city, and Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin issued an order to customers of West Virginia American Water: Do not drink, bathe, cook or wash clothes with tap water.

Freedom Industries says it doesn't know how much of a chemical spilled from its plant in Charleston into the Elk Rive, but that it's working to contain the leak and prevent further contamination.

Once word got out about the governor's declaration Thursday, customers stripped store shelves in many areas of items such as bottled water, paper cups and bowls. As many as 50 customers had lined up to buy water at a convenience store near the state Capitol in Charleston.

"It was chaos, that's what it was," cashier Danny Cardwell said.

Continued: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/10...cmp=latestnews

Black Blade: People take for granted that their water supply will always be abundant and clean. When they are wrong hey stand in lines at stores with shelves stripped bare.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yup,, being without water sucks,,,I am right now myself,,Pump stopped pumping so using emergency store's of water for the last 2 days. Had a tournament yesterday and couldn't fix it then and just diagnosed it today,, the capacitor is bad,, maybe I'll fix it today, maybe tomorrow,,no biggie. The closest place to get one today is 40 miles away,,, tomorrow 15,,,,,HUM ????

I'm thinking tomorrow ,,I might's just as well go fishing today!!! I caught 6 nice Northern's yesterday all over 9 lbs on a 23" jig pole with 4 lb test and no leader,,,, One I had no clue how big,, I lost it at the hole,,and couldn't get it through a 6" hole so it must have been around a 12-15 pounder or so at least....Good fun !! It took about 20 minutes each to land each one. Yup,,,,guess I've talked myself right into it!!!

Damn this retirement schedule is kicking my ass,,,,,decisions ,,decisions,,,,

GONE FISHING,,,,,,Gezzzz, that was easy!!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Crisis In West Virginia: Wal-Mart Calls In Police To Guard Bottled Water Delivery

countdowntozerotime.com / January 13, 2014

The Federal Emergency Management Authority has confirmed that it will deliver more than 1 million liters (264,172 gallons) of clean water to residents of the nine counties in West Virginia after a chemical used by the coal industry spilled into the Elk River on Thursday.

Approximately 300,000 people in West Virginia were told not to drink or use their water after approximately 5,000 gallons of 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol (MCHM) — a chemical used to wash coal of impurities — spilled from a tank owned by Freedom Industries. West Virginia American Water Company president Jeff McIntyre warned consumers not to use tap water for baby formula, brushing teeth, or showering. “Toilet flushing only,” he said.

The reports sent people rushing to stock up on bottled water, stripping store shelves around the area, including local Wal-Marts. Tension over the availability of clean water in the area seemed to be growing. At around 3:00pm, the Kanawha County police scanner lit up with reports of a shipment of water that was about to come in to a nearby Wal-Mart, asking for police presence while employees could restock.

READ MORE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.