Gunco Forums banner

When a panic room is no longer enough: The ‘billionaire bunkers’ in America

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  FyredUp 
#1 ·
When a panic room is no longer enough: The ‘billionaire bunkers’ in America with recognition software, hidden passageways and enough provisions to sustain families for three generations

dailymail.co.uk / PUBLISHED: 22:47 GMT, 28 November 2013 | UPDATED: 10:48 GMT, 29 November 2013

Wealthy families across the country are shelling out millions to protect their loved ones from intruders, natural disasters or the apocalypse as home security goes increasingly sci-fi.

Companies that provide concerned homeowners with futuristic gadgets – and a priceless peace of mind – have revealed the growing demand of costly bunkers, passageways, panic rooms and recognition software.

Chris Pollack – president of Pollack+Partners, a design and construction adviser in Purchase, New York – told Forbes that, while security has always been important for the wealthiest clients, the spending on home security has noticeably grown in the past five years.

And the options available on the market are like something from a Bond film.

Hidden: Wealthy families are shelling out millions for advanced home security, including these secret bunkers that are hidden beneath staircases, behind furniture or in wallsHidden: Wealthy families are shelling out millions for advanced home security, including these secret bunkers that are hidden beneath staircases, behind furniture or in walls

Former Israeli major general Aharon Ze’evi-Farkash has spent three years creating software that merges facial, voice and behavioral recognition technology, allowing the system can recognize the approaching person – so the owner has no need for a house key.

‘It transforms you into the key for your building in under two seconds,’ he told Forbes.

READ MORE

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the stairs in the pic. That's pretty cool.

#3 ·
That's all great, but I can't help wonder what happens if the bad guys burn the McMansion down around the secret saferoom/bunker?

#4 ·
A proper bunker should be able to handle that, no problemo.

Hey, after the third vacation home, the hundred-foot yacht, the matched Ferraris, and the bizjet, they need *something* to demonstrate conspicuous consumption!

Besides a bunker, my personal Evil Overlord lair would have to have at least one of these:
http://www.urb-ex.co.uk/witley/ (under-lake glass dome over the underwater billiard room)

#8 ·
A bunker perhaps, an under the stairs room, or a safe room in a house, doubtful. The heat in a fully involved house fire can crest 2000 degrees farenheit. Even a cement block or cement walled room at that point would become an oven.

#5 ·
I get the whole gotta dig a hole in the ground that at least 50 people you don't know know where it's at (not really) but IF it really were to happen in the time I have left I'd rather go in the woods than six feet in the ground where I'll end up anyway.I mean what are you prepping for?

#6 · (Edited)
I suggest everyone watch the movie "Blast from the Past." It is a hysterical movie about a family that spent 32 years in their bomb shelter after they believed the US, and specifically their community, was hit by nuclear bombs.

#9 ·
When I was way younger go deeper into the mountains build a small cabin and forget about it. Now I've just forgotten about it. The generation before me had the the same concerns. Build a fallout shelter! In grade school we had drills about getting under our desks. The local air horn would go off to test.tins of saltine crackers and water under schools.I think that probably helped lead the way to where we are now. Or where they are. Me I just wanna get thru tomorrow and hope my kids and grandkids are ok.still love my firearms tho!

#10 ·
Oh heck yeah! Sitting Indian style under the desk with our loose leaf binder over the back of our necks to protect us from the nuclear blast. Years later you look back and think how stupid that all was.

#14 ·
Oh heck yes. I don't believe any generation will see the turmoil, change, and fear, that ruled our time as kids growing up in the 60's and into the 70's.

When was the last time you walked up to a building with the yellow fall out shelter plackard stuck on the wall? I remember going into the basement of the bank to use the restroom and seeing those big green cans of food and water and other supplies for those that "suvived" the nuclear attack.

I missed the Viet Nam war by 2 years. I graduated high school in 1976. I had my mind set on a military career but a woman got in the way and I never enlisted. I only lately have wondered how my life might have turned out if I had followed that path instead of the one I did. But you can't go back and life is what it is.

#15 ·
Signed up in 74 for 11b1.dumb ass me.not nam.got talked into it by a recruiter. Had been accepted into small arms repair building nm 45's and m14's for competition .dumb ass me.I survived just take my ptsd meds at night so my wife can get some. Rest.love that woman.

#16 ·
Seriously, from the bottom of my heart, Thank You for your service. I know that coming back was rough for you guys. No parades, no civilian support, no thank you's back then. I knew that soldiers never pick the war, they just do their duty. I think the majority have come around and some even feel a sense of shame or guilt for the way you veterans were treated.

#20 ·
One fine day, the need for all we have done will eventually come to pass. It is then what you may have to to really do won't be so easy for you to swallow?

However, hiding in a secret room won't be a good solution if a hoard of dedicated raiders is digging through everything they can in a panic. It will be this time that you will have to deal with these gangs or raiders forcefully.

Just hiding in a so called safe room will be pointless.

#21 ·
To me the idea of a safe room is not for a long term thing. It is for a circumstance where maybe your family is at home and trouble strikes. Someone breaks in, bad storms, etc., occurs and a short term safe place is needed. The idea of long term hiding out in a safe room, which is not a bunker, is simply not a good plan.

Sometimes a tactical retreat to a safe place is a better move than standing and fighting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.