Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When a panic room is no longer enough: The ‘billionaire bunkers’ in America

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default When a panic room is no longer enough: The ‘billionaire bunkers’ in America

When a panic room is no longer enough: The ‘billionaire bunkers’ in America with recognition software, hidden passageways and enough provisions to sustain families for three generations

dailymail.co.uk / PUBLISHED: 22:47 GMT, 28 November 2013 | UPDATED: 10:48 GMT, 29 November 2013

Wealthy families across the country are shelling out millions to protect their loved ones from intruders, natural disasters or the apocalypse as home security goes increasingly sci-fi.

Companies that provide concerned homeowners with futuristic gadgets – and a priceless peace of mind – have revealed the growing demand of costly bunkers, passageways, panic rooms and recognition software.

Chris Pollack – president of Pollack+Partners, a design and construction adviser in Purchase, New York – told Forbes that, while security has always been important for the wealthiest clients, the spending on home security has noticeably grown in the past five years.

And the options available on the market are like something from a Bond film.

Hidden: Wealthy families are shelling out millions for advanced home security, including these secret bunkers that are hidden beneath staircases, behind furniture or in wallsHidden: Wealthy families are shelling out millions for advanced home security, including these secret bunkers that are hidden beneath staircases, behind furniture or in walls

Former Israeli major general Aharon Ze’evi-Farkash has spent three years creating software that merges facial, voice and behavioral recognition technology, allowing the system can recognize the approaching person – so the owner has no need for a house key.

‘It transforms you into the key for your building in under two seconds,’ he told Forbes.

READ MORE
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

I like the stairs in the pic. That's pretty cool.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

That's all great, but I can't help wonder what happens if the bad guys burn the McMansion down around the secret saferoom/bunker?

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

A proper bunker should be able to handle that, no problemo.

Hey, after the third vacation home, the hundred-foot yacht, the matched Ferraris, and the bizjet, they need *something* to demonstrate conspicuous consumption!

Besides a bunker, my personal Evil Overlord lair would have to have at least one of these:
    http://www.urb-ex.co.uk/witley/ (under-lake glass dome over the underwater billiard room)
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I get the whole gotta dig a hole in the ground that at least 50 people you don't know know where it's at (not really) but IF it really were to happen in the time I have left I'd rather go in the woods than six feet in the ground where I'll end up anyway.I mean what are you prepping for?

Feedback Score

I suggest everyone watch the movie "Blast from the Past." It is a hysterical movie about a family that spent 32 years in their bomb shelter after they believed the US, and specifically their community, was hit by nuclear bombs.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 12-04-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Brendan Fraser movie. Christopher walken.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    A proper bunker should be able to handle that, no problemo.

Hey, after the third vacation home, the hundred-foot yacht, the matched Ferraris, and the bizjet, they need *something* to demonstrate conspicuous consumption!

Besides a bunker, my personal Evil Overlord lair would have to have at least one of these:
    http://www.urb-ex.co.uk/witley/ (under-lake glass dome over the underwater billiard room)
    A bunker perhaps, an under the stairs room, or a safe room in a house, doubtful. The heat in a fully involved house fire can crest 2000 degrees farenheit. Even a cement block or cement walled room at that point would become an oven.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

When I was way younger go deeper into the mountains build a small cabin and forget about it. Now I've just forgotten about it. The generation before me had the the same concerns. Build a fallout shelter! In grade school we had drills about getting under our desks. The local air horn would go off to test.tins of saltine crackers and water under schools.I think that probably helped lead the way to where we are now. Or where they are. Me I just wanna get thru tomorrow and hope my kids and grandkids are ok.still love my firearms tho!

Feedback Score

Oh heck yeah! Sitting Indian style under the desk with our loose leaf binder over the back of our necks to protect us from the nuclear blast. Years later you look back and think how stupid that all was.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.