Thread: Where Do You Go When You Need To Run?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Where Do You Go When You Need To Run?

Where Do You Go When You Need To Run?

By Marjory Wildcraft on January 27, 2014

A lot of preppers are looking for a retreat location in a rural area. Most people think that getting out as far away as possible is the best strategy. But I’ll tell you from experience, moving way out to the hinterland is the biggest mistake you can make.

When we first panicked we headed out as far as we could. We were at least 6 miles from the nearest little store and 25 miles from a small town. After years of living that far out we realized as a family that we wanted to be closer to other people. I have seen this same pattern over and over again among people who move – way out. Then they end up moving back in a little closer.

We humans are at heart, really social. Who will sew you up after a misplaced blow while chopping wood?

Who will you trade with to get something out of those extra batteries and wire you have?

With whom will you celebrate the joy of growing all that squash?

Who will help you fight off that renegade mafia claiming to be the new Government?

Who are your kids going to marry?

Who knows the local plants to treat infections after the antibiotics are expired?

With whom will you make music or swap jokes?

In the numerous interviews and reading I have done with people who have lived through collapsed currency or civil war situations, the best strategy for survival comes from being in, or very close to a small community.

So being near a small community is ideal. Americans with our car-centric culture have lost touch with a pedestrian lifestyle. How close is best?

In the middle ages many European markets were spaced approximately 14 miles apart. That way you were only 7 miles at most from any town.

7 miles was a good distance as a person can walk into town, spend a few hours at church or the market, and then walk back home all within a day.

Being in the town itself, especially if you plan on being very active in leadership after collapse, is a good strategy.

I recently worked with a couple who moved back into town after years of being way out in the country.

After having a big acreage around them they thought they would only be in town temporarily until they found another farm that was closer in.

But with an easy walk to work and biking to the grocery store, and no gas bills, they’ve decided to stay in town.

They are working to teach neighbors how to garden and generally helping the small community to prepare.

So finding a place that is somewhere between being right in town and mo more than seven miles out is a good guide.

Finding the perfect survival retreat is a complex process and but it can be done.

And I can show you how…

Click here to learn more:

http://www.survivallife.com/retreat
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I doubt most city people/preppers could survive for a long period of time unless they actually have lived in a primitive setting before, especially in Northern climates. Best laid plans or not. I lived in upstate NY for 7 years in a house with just a wood stove and gravity feed water from a well in a house that was built in 1789 and had never had power or any other modern conveniences sense it was built. My first wife and I lived there for 7 years and 4 years after our first was born and we did just fine. Some things were a bit harder and took more time, but over all we really did OK and it really made us closer, it was a happy time. Many times I kinda wish I'd continued to live that way actually, life was truly much simpler back then.

But I was a country boy and was raised up in a very small city, actually still the smallest city in the country. And woodsman-ship was a big part of my upbringing. With a big woods behind the house I learned many lessons in. I grew up in a family that kinda held on to the simpler/old ways of life for many generations being of native decent. My great great Grandma wouldn't even allow my folks to put electricity in her house and still hauled her own water, cut her own wood, hunted,fished, made and drank "Apple Jack"sometimes to excess,so I'd heard, and smoked a pipe into her 100's. She had to go to a nursing home after she fell off the roof @ 104 while trying to fix a leak, but was in perfect health till then. It may have been some Apple jack that caused that now I think about it, never noticed being only 5or so at the time! I'm sure it was all those modern conveniences that lead to her demise.

,,,,Stubborn cuss she was,, She'd hardly ever let ya help with anything. And she was bound and determined to take care of herself. Our family have all been tough old birds and never went to modern to fast and mostly lived a simple life till just before I was born pretty much. I think my Grand Pa was the first in the family to actually have a car,electricity and central heat when he got back after WW1, and is the same house I grew up in.

Hell many places here in Vt didn't even have power and phones till into the mid 40's early 50's in some paces. Actually in the NE Kingdom some places still don't, but mostly by choice now. Maybe that's why most older native Vermonters can fend for themselves pretty well when things get tough,,they always had to.
    Damn!!!!! I AM OLD!!! Gezzzzz

Most folks aren't going to be able to just jump into being a "rugged individual" over night without some life experience and background. Best laid plans or not, when there's no modern conveniences and one truly has to live off the land, that's what will really separate the true survivalists from the preppers IMO.

Feedback Score

My granny dipped snuff and spit into the wood cookstove kept a fire year round and wore a sweater in august. When I was a kid I had to crap on a newspaper to throw into the johnny hole cause mom (and me) were scared I'd fall in!

ak9
    Feedback Score

I think sociallites will be toast without electric. Hell modern boys scouts & cub scouts don't teach true survival skills anymore .( I was in indian guides) I agree with twa 'S if you haven't been able to live "out back" and survive well for extended lengths of time ...you'll be toast when the melt down truly occurs.
    I grew up in the hills of NC( 4-9yrold ) .. I used to drive my parents nuts. I would go off in to the woods/swamps for weeks at a time ...just disappear maybe with a buddy or two & fish catch snakes frogs crawfish . I remember when Pringals potatoe chips first came around...I had a competition once with friends one day to see who could get the most baby cooper heads in the can (we used to use them as fish bait) I lost ... I had like 8 I remember the winner had 13 . No tents no sleeping bags ...just a knife ,hatchet and a trot line to fish with...make your own shelter out of what nature has to offer.
    ak9

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.