Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bee colony collapse viruses spreading to bumblebees

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Bee colony collapse viruses spreading to bumblebees

Bee colony collapse viruses spreading to bumblebees

Snippit:

Infectious diseases linked to the colony collapse of honeybees appear to be spreading among wild bumblebees that pollinate crops worldwide, dealing a potential double blow to agriculture, according to a new study.

Studies at 26 sites in England found that 1 in 5 bees suffered from deformed wing virus, which can ground and eventually kill the insects, according to a report published online Wednesday in the journal Nature.

More than a third of the honeybees were infected, and about 11% of the bumblebees carried the virus – figures that researchers called highly conservative. Evidence of another deadly parasite, the Nocema ceranae microspore, was less prevalent.

Although the path of the infection could not be determined with certainty, researchers said it very likely spreads from the honeybees, 88% of which carried actively replicating virus. Foraging from the same flowers probably accounts for the bulk of infection, while raiding of competitors' hives could contribute as well, the researchers said.

“We’re only catching individuals that are alive and healthy and able to go out and forage,” said principal author Mark J.F. Brown, a conservation biologist at the Royal Holloway University of London. “It’s likely that the prevalence numbers that we report are lower than they actually are.”

Commercially cultivated bees pollinate about 90 crops worldwide, a service valued at $14 billion annually. In California, the $3-billion almond industry spends $239 million annually to rent more than 1 million honeybee colonies.

Researchers suspect the Varroa destructor mite that infests honeybees is the primary transporter of the viruses. The sites in England are not unique hot spots, they added, but represent an outbreak pattern that could occur anywhere managed colonies of honeybees come in contact with native pollinators.

Continued: http://www.latimes.com/science/scien...#ixzz2u1EFdhlZ

Black Blade: Moe and more researchers are now saying that Bee Colony Collapse disorder is the result of GMO crops designed to resist pests and bees are just collateral damage

If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live - Albert Einstein
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

Yeah I have been following that for a while.

Man we are totally screwed without bees.

Feedback Score

The honey bee population has dropped dramatically over the last 5 years in my area of the Midwest. Seems lately hey have recovered a little however.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My Cousin is one of the largest Bee Keepers in WNY. While I was up there we were working with Cornell Universality on this and the one problem we found was unlike the "normal" parasites, we were not finding a larger count of dead bees at the hives. They were disappearing. I was working on a project that was linking the concentration on cell and radio towers to the magnetic gyroscope the bees use to find their way back to the hives. I moved from NY to GA and when I contacted Dr. Kim at UGA they had no interest in looking over any of my research to follow up. So now I build guns and my Cousin started a Meadery.
    Pryotex is TEC Tactical, A Licensed 07/SOT

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I don't know what a meadery is but , without bee's I will not be (pardon the pun) able to drink Mead when I go back home to Ireland next fall

for those who do not know Mead is a historic/ medievil alcoholic brew made from honey

we need the bee's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Sprat; 02-22-2014 at 09:19 PM.
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadery
    A meadery is a winery that produces honey wines or meads
    Pryotex is TEC Tactical, A Licensed 07/SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Mead is great! I don't just drink beer after all.

Feedback Score

Good at you Pyrotex and Stalker,

I haven't had any mead in a long time. Now that there is some good ole medieval brew!
    Last edited by SouthTexasGuy; 02-22-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Left out Pyrotex

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Mead - the drink of choice of the Vikings!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...iking-15703126

Yes, definitely "Save The Bees!"
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Drink some mead fondle some winches, raise a mug, eat drink and be merry for tomorrow you may be...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.