Thread: When Trucks Stop

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default When Trucks Stop

When Trucks Stop

http://www.truckline.com/Newsroom/Tr...ca%20Stops.pdf

Excerpt:

The Food Industry

Every day, Americans purchase billions of dollars of groceries. Most of these goods are
    brought to market via daily truck deliveries.

• Significant shortages will occur in as little as three days, especially for perishable
    items following a national emergency and a ban on truck traffic. Minor
    shortages will occur within one to two days. At convenience stores and other small
    retailers with less inventory, shortages will occur much sooner.

• Consumer fear and panic will exacerbate shortages. The forecast of a winter
    storm quickly exhausts basic commodities at grocery stores and supermarkets. It
    takes retailers up to three days to recover from these runs on supplies. News of a
    truck stoppage—whether on the local level, state or regional level, or nationwide—
    will spur hoarding and drastic increases in consumer purchases of essential goods.
    Shortages will materialize quickly and could lead to civil unrest.

• Supplies of clean drinking water will run dry in two to four weeks. According to
    the American Water Works Association, Americans drink more than one billion
    glasses of tap water per day. For safety and security reasons, most water supply
    plants maintain a larger inventory of supplies than the typical business. However, the
    amount of chemical storage varies significantly and is site specific. According to the
    Chlorine Institute, most water treatment facilities receive chlorine in cylinders (150
    pounds and one ton cylinders) that are delivered by motor carriers. On average, trucks
    deliver purification chemicals to water supply plants every seven to 14 days. Without
    these chemicals, water cannot be purified and made safe for drinking. Without truck
    deliveries of purification chemicals, water supply plants will run out of drinkable
    water in 14 to 28 days. Once the water supply is drained, water will be deemed safe
    for drinking only when boiled. Lack of clean drinking water will lead to increased
    gastrointestinal and other illnesses, further taxing an already weakened health care
    system.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

YEAP ON THIS WE AGREE.

Truckers could shut this country doan in about a week . no food , gas, anything.

It would be easy for a enemy to shut the roads down that the trucks rin on pretty easy also Imo . a fewe key bridges an look out . Scary IMO

If just the republicans just said no an refused to go to work the country would be in chaos in one or two hours

Feedback Score

Yep, that's a fact. The trucks stop rolling everything is shut down.
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

When The Trucks Stop, It’s Over

May 1, 2014, by Ken Jorgustin

truck-distribution-systemic-risk

Systemic risk. I guarantee that most ordinary folks have no idea that if trucks stopped rolling all across America, within a short period of time nearly all Americans would be in a life-threatening situation from major delivery shortages. 70% of all freight that is moved in the U.S. is done so by truck. You (we) depend on that ‘stuff’ for our survival.

A major disruption in truck travel would immediately impact seven major industries, and would bring America to its knees within days due in part to “Just-In-Time” manufacturing, zero-inventory, and the fact that our modern way of life is entirely dependent upon unimpeded distribution chains.

(UPDATED)

Read more…
    Last edited by Black Blade; 05-05-2014 at 10:36 AM.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

When Irene and Sandy hit here and many roads were just plain gone ,things went South real quick around here without trucks getting through. Luckily the 2 ,,4-wheeler clubs I'm a member of took up allot of the slack , but certainly not enough to make up for the trucks not running.
    Myself and several others were out from 14-16 hours a day for 3 weeks straight hauling all kinds of food stuffs, meds, oxygen,and what ever else was needed in the cut off communities where nothing else was able get through and it really made a huge difference. In times of a national crisis I'm sure they'll be folks that will do that still, but many will be worrying about themselves and families first. Major City's,,,forgetaboutit !! They'll most likely be on there own like New Orleans was.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Just wait until we see an Carrington-type EMP event (solar flares or nukes) when trucks no longer run. Then people will suddenly become well aware of how fragile our way of life has become. Not like the old days of the Great Depression when most of America was fairly agrarian and people typically had gardens, chickens, some small livestock, etc. knew how to can and otherwise preserve food for the long term. Today most will starve and many will die because of no access to meds made in faraway labs.

Makes me think I should get a small cheap bike and keep it parked in a "faraday cage" in my shop.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
    Just wait until we see an Carrington-type EMP event (solar flares or nukes) when trucks no longer run. Then people will suddenly become well aware of how fragile our way of life has become. Not like the old days of the Great Depression when most of America was fairly agrarian and people typically had gardens, chickens, some small livestock, etc. knew how to can and otherwise preserve food for the long term. Today most will starve and many will die because of no access to meds made in faraway labs.

Makes me think I should get a small cheap bike and keep it parked in a "faraday cage" in my shop.
    Used to be a Diesel only needed fuel to run, rig the fuel cutoff solenoid to stay open and they run until the fuel runs out. Heck, Cummins used to have a little knob ya just turned to bypass the fuel cutoff, and some engines were setup with pure mechanical control: pulling a choke cable killed the fuel, all the key switch did was turn on the electric system and activate the starter. Some even had air powered starters!

Not anymore, if ya want to meet emissions standard the engine has more crap on it than a gas engine.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Used to be a Diesel only needed fuel to run, rig the fuel cutoff solenoid to stay open and they run until the fuel runs out. Heck, Cummins used to have a little knob ya just turned to bypass the fuel cutoff, and some engines were setup with pure mechanical control: pulling a choke cable killed the fuel, all the key switch did was turn on the electric system and activate the starter. Some even had air powered starters!

Not anymore, if ya want to meet emissions standard the engine has more crap on it than a gas engine.
    Yeah I'd like to have an old diesel 2 stroke with purely mechanical controls. Set it up with one of those shotgun shell type air starters, so that a 12 gauge (minus the shot of course)shell could start her up.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Well guess what guys, see the prices in the local markets? well hell their already reflecting trucking costs.
    On the way back from Virgina a week ago, at a rest stop I talked with a pro driver. Asked why they were all doing exactly the speed limit? Hell they used to be zipping in and out of traffic, in a hurry to get their load to wherever.
    "Fuel. With diesel running at $4.11 a gallon, 8 miles to the gallon, for every mile and hour over that, start reducing your mileage. See the front tire on my rig? $1,300 for tire and replacement. Insurance? on damn ticket and it goes through the roof. Places we pass through are broke, were a target rich environment for their income."
    Now out west, guess the trucks are still hauling ass, but not in the east, not one did I see going over the speed limit. Strange to see, almost like they were standing still. Guess who is paying for their fuel and tires? Good answer.
    New "Super Singles" are being tried out. Singe tractor trailer tires instead of duals. Advantage less weight and cost. Disadvantage, a flat and they aint going nowhere.
    Yeah they stop were done, but it is already hitting us at the market $$. Lot of competition but the poor guys can't drive the stuff for free, they have to eat to.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

I don't mean to dis rail your thread Mr. 4th.

I was travelling with the wife as I often do.

Her stomach was grumbling.

I pulled into a truck stop and said "you need to eat".

We had a good ole time. She said the food was tasty and how did I know to stop there?

I said follow the truckers.

They be on a budget and know where the best places are to eat.

I just look for trucks and stop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.