Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heirloom Seed Over Hybrid Seeds

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Heirloom Seed Over Hybrid Seeds

Heirloom Seed Over Hybrid Seeds

March 22, 2014, by Ken Jorgustin

There are basically two types of seed:

-open-pollinated (pollinated naturally in the wild)
    -hybrid

When you plant open-pollinated seeds and save the seeds from that crop, the next generation is going to be like the one before. When a seed regenerates over and over for many years and remains unchanged, or stabilized, it’s then called an “heirloom” variety.

Here’s why you should consider heirloom seed…

Read more…
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

We use heirlooms in our garden as often as possible. Big bonus for the tomatoes this year, had to pluck dozens of unplanned baby tomato plants from the planter and build some more to put them in!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My wife and I have always liked an acidic tomato and the heirloom ones always bring us comebacks in the spring.

Feedback Score

I likey the Heirlooms too.

Hey I don't mean to Hijack the thread or anything but I have a question.

Next door lady came over to the wife last year and said her potato plANTS HAD tomatoes on them.

So the wife told me about it. I said they have gone to seed, that's potato seeds in those "tomatoes". BTW don't eat em!

Has anyone every tried growing a potato plant from seed? If so what happened? DO they grow true like heirlooms? Or do you get some "walking dead" tater from hell out of that?

Just wondering.

I always let taters sprout roots and then cut em up and plant em. That way they be clones!

Feedback Score

that is good to know =)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

ok nice article and yes we should be only using heirloom the only problem this article of any of the additional post point to where one can buy them online or the brands of seed companies that sell them or survival companies that have them

we need Links!!!!
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I remember "real" tomatoes. They were basically bags of jelly; mostly water. Try to cut one to put on a burger, and when you picked it up you wound up with a thin ring and some internal bits while the jelly part stayed on the cutting board.

When the thick-wall "machine pickable" tomatoes came out, at least there was some freakin' solid plant product there.

Keep your antique tomatoes; I like the modern ones.
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

My mom used to grow tomatoes and green peppers every year, she always kept some of the seeds for the next year, sometimes she'd add something else in there too but those two were grown every year.
    Funny thing is I don't care for tomatoes much, I like them but I don't eat raw tomatoes much.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    I remember "real" tomatoes. They were basically bags of jelly; mostly water. Try to cut one to put on a burger, and when you picked it up you wound up with a thin ring and some internal bits while the jelly part stayed on the cutting board.

When the thick-wall "machine pickable" tomatoes came out, at least there was some freakin' solid plant product there.

Keep your antique tomatoes; I like the modern ones.
    TRX - it depends on the variety of tomatoes, as to whether they have more "meat" in them or are mostly "jellied masses" of seeds.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

got a e-mail from these folks today they have heirloom seeds, I m sure there are more companies

http://www.campingsurvival.com/prepareness-seeds.html
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.