Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Would An Eruption Of The Yellowstone Supervolcano Look Like?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default What Would An Eruption Of The Yellowstone Supervolcano Look Like?

What Would An Eruption Of The Yellowstone Supervolcano Look Like?

thetruthwins.com / By Michael Snyder / March 31st, 2014

On Sunday, the worst earthquake in about 30 years rattled the Yellowstone supervolcano. Overall, there have been at least 25 significant earthquakes at Yellowstone National Park since Thursday, but it is the 4.8 earthquake that has many observers extremely worried. Could such a large earthquake be a sign that the Yellowstone supervolcano is starting to roar to life after all this time? And if it does erupt, what would that mean for the rest of the country? As you will see below, a full-blown eruption at Yellowstone would be absolutely catastrophic. It is estimated that such an eruption could dump a 10 foot deep layer of volcanic ash up to 1,000 miles away and render much of the nation uninhabitable for years to come. In essence, it would instantly bring the United States to its knees.

It is true that it is normal for Yellowstone to experience up to 3,000 earthquakes a year. But most of those earthquakes are extremely small and nothing to worry about.

But the 4.8 earthquake that struck on Sunday is definitely raising eyebrows especially considering what else has been going on at Yellowstone lately.

READ MORE

Black Blade: Everyone downwind to the east coast would be buried under ash - many if not most would die as the ash was inhaled and set up like concrete in the lungs. There would be no escape. Those close to the caldera collapse to the midwest would be consumed and incinerated by the plinian flows as the eruption column collapses. The most extreme northwest and southwest would survive the initial effects but the decades long "volcanic winter" would mean mass starvation due to crop failures (think cannibalism and the movie "The Road"). Eventually Yellowstone will erupt - maybe next week, next year or a couple hundred thousand years from now. When Toba volcano in Indonesia erupted about 75,000 years ago only about an estimated 15,000 humans survived ("genetic Bottleneck" according to DNA evidence).
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

if that thing goes i going on vacation --4th do you have a spare room?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    if that thing goes i going on vacation --4th do you have a spare room?
    Uh no.. Sorry j4.. Right now the UF girls volleyball team is staying here and when they leave the Swedish pistol shooting team is coming in..
    Now their coach, tall blonde in the middle, got a little snotty with me. Ah what the hell, like I knew the girls were in the shower.. WTF over.. Kind of strange 4 girls taking a shower together. Not like were on a budget here.
    Anyway, j4 get in touch with me in a week or so if this thing don't blow before then.. Hey nothing personal, you now like its a matter of room. Ah hell P.M. me, we might have some space. If you do not mind these chicks on yah all damn day, pain in the ass I tell yah with their damn questions..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Would An Eruption Of The Yellowstone Supervolcano Look Like?-playboy.png  

"Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Hi Blade,

Well, Tectonics being what it is, the pressure blew out off of the west coast of South America...A Magnitude 8+ hit off the coast of Chile, and there have been some significant aftershocks as well. Tsunamis are of course predicted.

Good news: Maybe the pressure is lower now in Yellowstone National Park.....

Just sayin.....
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yellowstone not affected much by the Pacific Plate and the South American Plate collision. Yellowstone is a stationary "hotspot" or "mantle plume" with the North American plate moving over the top of it (same thing with Hawaii's volcano). The track of Yellowstone can be seen along the Snake River Plain from extreme south east Oregon across southern Idaho to Yellowstone today. Hawaii the track is evidenced by the chain of islands. Yellowstone is the only real global threat from volcanism though.

Mantle plume - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What was the name of that John Cusak flick where he and his kids were at Yellowstone when it went off? F'ed it up pretty good on the screen.
    So its decided, we all meet up at 4th's house. 4th, make sure you have enough beer and scotch for everyone. Forget bullets and rations, I want to be shite- faced for the end of the world!
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

2012-
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Kind of a tough call on this one. Oh yeah if that baby goes, I think were all gonna be visiting the God of our choice.
    Good documentary on the problem. Basically everything west of Jellystone, including California, is trying to move too the east coast. Jellystone will not let them past and their getting pissed. So where do they go? Correct, up. Yeah this is gonna be a good one I tell yah. Oh hell yeah, when she blows, we will knows.
    Like the people that drove "Too" Mt. Saint Helen's to get pictures. Yup real smart. No idiots, you go the other way. See the smoke mo-rons and the lava, hello run away.. WTF they have an I.Q. of 10 or something?
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Wonder if the guy in that bunker made it?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

tectonic plate movement anywhere in the world, affect tectonic plates in other portions simple 101 geology, but regarding yellowstone, this is not new

but 4th is right if that sucker goes forget the survival mode, the caches of ammo and mountain house, it will change the atmospher and climate for decades to come globally

i would not worry about it cause when it happens there is no place to go
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.