Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Beer can camp stove. Simple to make, efficent.

Feedback Score

Pretty neat. I used to make some alcohol heaters out of a coffee can, roll of toilet paper, and alcohol. Good deer stand heaters. Old boy scout trick.
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I used the "Esbit" stove on both my end to end trips on the AT and while working with the Forest Service for 12 years and have found them to be the best alternative for light weight pack stoves. Bar none, and I've tried just about every other thing out there. Weather you use the trioxane tablets or alcohol sense both work equally as well if you use a metal tray for the alcohol, I use a anchovy tin myself in them when I use alcohol.

The last ones I got were 6 for 5.99 @ CTD a few years back. They are quite strong and stable which I found to be the big drawback with the others that are homemade.

Just my suggestion.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Camp stove

Esbit Pocket Stove at REI.com

Looks interesting twa. Only thing is with the beer can stoves, well hell you have to drink the beer to make them. To bad we can not just by C-4, that stuff was great to cook over. Cooking with it one time and some SOB dropped and AK round under where I set up.
    Nice hot fire, ready to eat. Holy sheeeeeeeeet, I woke up about 20 feet away covered with beans and franks. Oh yeah I could not hear for a week. WhAAAAAAAAt? Oh yeah, everybody had a good laugh on that one, jerks.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Camp Survival Perfect Stove Clone Ultra Lightweight Small Pressurized Pop Can 2B | eBay

This guy is selling the can stoves on E-Bay. Good for him, or her. Industrious. $4.99 and $3.00 shipping.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Ya 4th,, the drinking of the beer first is a defiant plus with a Ho-Bo stove !!

I've tried most of the pressurized stoves, most ho-bo style (can stoves),trioxane, butane, propane, alcohol and wood burning pack stoves, and those Esbit's really seemed to be the best overall for a single person on a hike,or in emergency kits, there rugged, light , versatile , multi fuel, compact, cheap, long lasting and I really found nothing any better over all after years and years on the trails using them.

Hell, I keep one in my cars emergency kit, the boat, the wheeler, my hunting pack , the shooting blind, fishing trap, day pack and long range packs. And when I bought them you could get trioxane surplus fuel tabs by the gross for <20 bucks, and alcohol you can get anyplace,,real cheap.

There defiantly my go to. Bar none,, shit I've got one I used for 12-14 years almost daily and other than some minor rust and discoloration, it's good as new and I still use it. That's pretty damn good service for < a buck, if you ask me!!! AND,,,Even cheaper than a can stove when you figure in longevity, considering a 5 cent deposit for a can that lasts only a couple weeks of continuous use!!!

We used to use C-4 for cooking in Nam too,,works great as long as you don't add concussion to the mix!!!

Hate them bean baths!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Never ever stomp on a c4 fire to put it out. I think we all know that already. Just saying. Lol

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Ok, thought I'd chip one in:
    This website is humongous and covers nearly every type of stove available: commercial & homemade.
    Candle stoves, wood stoves, petroleum stoves, alcohol, solid fuel, you name they have info/ ratings. Be prepared to lose some time here
    Zen Backpacking Stoves - How to Choose a Stove

And, my favs:
    The classic Penny stove: Penny Ultralight Alcohol Backpacking Stove
    The Cat stove (from cat food can) highly rated in time to boil tests! Zen Alcohol Stoves - Cat Food Can Alcohol Stove
    Pepsi can stove (labor intensive to build though PCTHiker.com: Pepsi-G Stove Assembly Instructions

And they also recommend Everclear for these stoves - Cool, multi-purpose item sterilizes cuts too.
    "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
    - Thomas Alva Edison
    |> Military training/history DVDs: www.loose-cannon.com/military
    Latest eBook: Build Your Own AK: Vol. II

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

i actually have a couple of these that my girls learned hwo to make for girls scouts and you can boil a pan of water for food or coffee really quickly...

its all about the wick. :-)
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.