Gunco Forums banner

Food Storage Basics

3K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  Black Blade 
#1 ·
15 Common Beans and Legumes For Food Storage

April 21, 2014, by Ken Jorgustin

An important part of a long term food storage plan and/or a portion of one’s overall gardening plan are beans & legumes. The bare minimum recommendation of a beans & legumes portion of an overall 1-year food storage inventory is 60-pounds (90-pounds preferred) per adult.

The legume family, of which all beans, peas, lentils, and peanuts are a part, is one of the largest in the plant kingdom. Below is a partial list of 15 common legumes.

Read more…

Black Blade: I have both dry bulk beans and canned beans (red, black, white, kidney and pinto).

See less See more
#28 ·
Dehydrated Food: Testing Dryness And How To Know When It’s Done

Dehydrated food – dehydrating your own food is a relatively easy way to stock your excess harvest from your garden or to store back vegetables (and meats) which you bought on sale.

During the process, one question is, “How do I know when the food is ‘done’?”

Read more…

#29 ·
6 Tips For Bug Free Food Storage

June 6, 2014, by Ken Jorgustin

The following are a few tips regarding bug-free food storage in 5 gallon buckets, and a few preventative measures to keep bugs and insects neutralized.

Read more…

#30 ·
How Long Can I Save Chicken In The Freezer?

June 8, 2014, by Ken Jorgustin

While there are several ways to preserve chicken, the most common way to save and store many foods (like chicken) is in the freezer.

An often asked question is, “How long can chicken (and other food) be saved-stored in the freezer and still be safe to eat?”

Here’s the answer:

Read more…

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.