Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Food Storage Basics

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

My stores all contain what I would normally eat other than an additional 4-5 month stock of dehydrated stuff with a good menu selection. No doubt there's stuff I don't have that would be nice, but I think I have all the bases covered pretty well over all,,and as I said,,I'm not a preppier per-sa ! But I could probably survive quite well even in a major emergency where food wouldn't be available for along time. I have about enough now for 1 person for about a year @ 1 really well balanced meal per day with lots of calories.

Got a question for you Black Blade.

What do you think of the vacuum sealers? I'm thinking it would be just the ticket to be able to break down some of the bulk dehydrated stuff into single servings in the 5 layer bags with o2 packs. Or would I be better off to just leave them as is in the #10 cans or the 4 serving packs like Wise products come in? I just don't know if those sealer bags would maintain shelf life as well as the packaging it comes in. The cans I'm guessing are best, but how about when you open one,,will the bags maintain the same shelf life,,or close to it if sealed in the bags right off???

It sure seems to me that the sealer bags would take up a hell of allot less room than the #10 cans,, and I could put way more in one bucket and take up allot less room than what 8 or 10,, #10 cans would. Dehydrated veggies I can get locally at one of the local food co-ops cheaper than the Mt House or Wise stuff, but then,,,I don't know about shelf life ????? And that's what my main planed purpose for the vacuum sealer is, seal stuff from the co-op. Whats the good word on them,,worth getting one??? They are defiantly good for a thousand and one other uses too, but for food is my primary concern.

There's lots of areas I don't know much about when it comes to long term food storage, but lots I do. That's why I have to ask you these things,,as it seems to be your forte and you've been in this game longer than I. Thanks in advance,,,,

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I never used the vacuum sealers myself. My sister-in-law does however. Seems to work okay and I suppose it would be about the same as the cans except any breakdown due to UV exposure perhaps. My relatives store some smoked and jerked game and sun dried/dehydrated apricots and "fruit leather: in vacuum sealed pouches.

Vacuum sealed oatmeal pouches.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Food Storage 101: What To Store

April 26, 2014, by Ken Jorgustin

WHAT FOOD SHOULD I STORE?

The first real tip here for ‘Food Storage 101′ is this: Store what you will eat! You can spend lots of time analyzing calories, nutritional content, and other factors, but I think the bottom line here is if you store what you eat on a daily basis, I think you’ll be just fine.

Here are more basic tips to get started with food storage:

(UPDATED)

Read more…
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks BB, I hadn't had one before and wondered just how well they worked.

Anything I'd repack in those vacuum bags would be stored in buckets in my cellar stairs pantry anyways so UV and heat wouldn't be a real issue. I'm just thinking more along the lines of being more compact and packed in more usable sizes as opposed to being so bulky and being in bulk packs you'd have to worry about using up before it went bad once it was opened.

It would be more for camping, fishing/hunting, 4 wheeler trips and grab and go than anything else sense I plan on cycling it regularly. Those dehydrated foods are great when you're way out in the deep dark piney woods or on the ice fishing and don't feel like coming back in for chow,,and when I get out it's usually from before dawn to after dusk, so I generally get real hungry by the end of the day and those are great for that. Eating all that single serving doughnuts, chips and all that other kinda crap has really packed some extra lbs on me this year, so I need to go to something better than all that junk food stuff for when I'm out and about. Plus a whole days worth of food stuff will easily fit into a fanny pack,and be much better for me than all that junk food.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Canned Food Storage For Survival Preparedness

April 27, 2014, by Ken Jorgustin

Keep in mind that when considering which canned foods to stock up on — you should be factoring the calories per can as well as an overall balance and variety of food types and nutritional value.

Note that some canned foods contain surprisingly few calories (although possibly high in fiber and other nutritional assets) while other canned foods are packed with lots of calories (possibly high in fat).

Although some calorie-dense canned foods may be high in fat and considered fairly unhealthy for a modern prolonged diet, these attributes may be advantageous in some survival situations where food may be hard to come by.

In a SHTF world, we will likely be burning lots more calories than we do in a fairly modern sedentary world. Here’s more…

Read more…

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Epidemic Of Hunger: New Report Says 49 Million Americans Are Dealing With Food Insecurity

theeconomiccollapseblog.com / By Michael Snyder, on April 27th, 2014

If the economy really is “getting better”, then why are nearly 50 million Americans dealing with food insecurity? In 1854, Henry David Thoreau observed that “the mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation”. The same could be said of our time. In America today, most people are quietly scratching and clawing their way from month to month. Nine of the top ten occupations in the U.S. pay an average wage of less than $35,000 a year, but those that actually are working are better off than the millions upon millions of Americans that can’t find jobs. The level of employment in this nation has remained fairly level since the end of the last recession, and median household income has gone down for five years in a row. Meanwhile, our bills just keep going up and the cost of food is starting to rise at a very frightening pace. Family budgets are being squeezed tighter and tighter, and more families are falling out of the middle class every single day. In fact, a new report by Feeding America (which operates the largest network of food banks in the country) says that 49 million Americans are “food insecure” at this point. Approximately 16 million of them are children. It is a silent epidemic of hunger that those living in the wealthy areas of the country don’t hear much about. But it is very real.

The mainstream media and our politicians continue to insist that “things are getting better”, and that may be true for Wall Street, but the man who was in charge of the new Feeding America report says that the level of suffering for the tens of millions of Americans that are food insecure has not changed…

“Nothing is getting better,” said Craig Gundersen, lead researcher of the report, “Map the Meal Gap 2014,” and an expert in food insecurity and food aid programs.

“Let’s stop talking about the end of the Great Recession until we can make sure that we get food insecurity rates down to a more reasonable level,” he added. “We’re still in the throes of the Great Recession, from my perspective.”
    READ MORE

Black Blade: Preppers and Survivalists don't go hungry. Those who don't prep can and do go hungry - "Grasshopper and Ant" - Aesop.

Storage - Food and Basic Goods in Mad Max World Forum

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Food Storage: Should I Hide It?

April 29, 2014, by Ken Jorgustin

When people discover that you store more than just several weeks worth of food, or have a food storage inventory beyond what most people consider to be ‘normal’, they tend to look at you in a different way. I would dare say that most of them will think you’re a bit ‘nuts’. This is an unfortunate reality, and one which will never change in a modern society in which food is plentiful and where people cannot understand your motivations.

So – knowing that tendency, and if you’re a prepper who has a food storage of say 3-months or more, you might want to consider the risks associated with others knowing about it.

Read more…

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Pros and Cons of Freeze-Dried, Dehydrated, MRE, Canned, Food-Bars, Grains-Beans

May 8, 2014, by Ken Jorgustin

pros-and-cons-of-food-storage

A pros and cons list of the various methods and types of food for storage that you may consider in your overall diversified food storage plan.

Read more…

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Steps to prepping a two year food storage supply

Keep your food storage supplies versatile using these simple steps:

Each person in your group requires a minimum of 1,500 to 2,000 calories a day. Use a food storage calculator to get your family’s requirements.
    There are 23 critical items for food storage that are essential to any prepper’s bunker. These items are the building-blocks of a diverse menu, providing your family a new meal every day will assist in overall morale. Curious why these are required?
    Honey, sugar, water, salt, oil, powdered milk and wheat will make; popped wheat, steamed wheat, tortillas and etc.
    Wheat, oil, salt, powdered milk, powdered eggs and baking soda make; custard, pancakes, crepes, egg noodles, pasta, bread, biscuits, mayo, crackers and etc.
    Powdered butter, tomatoes and powdered cheese make; cream sauces, meatless casseroles and dinners
    Unflavored gelatin, canned milk and fruits make; Jell-O salads, whipped cream desserts, baby formula and fruit dishes
    Dehydrated meats are a good addition to your food cache that require minimal rotation while providing tasty nutrition. Dehydrated produce requires a little more attention to expiration dates and should be canned or freeze-dried.
    Canned and frozen meat can be a bit on the expensive side, if you’re not hunting game store canned meat instead of frozen meat to avoid too steep an investment.
    With diversity being the target of your food storage efforts try to include common kitchen items such as; oats, raisins, nuts, peanut butter, juices, soup mix, spices and flavoring, lemon juice and etc.
    Never let food go to waste! Rotate your food often by its expiration date, while compensating for consumption time i.e. the amount of time it takes your family to consume one jar of peanut butter, be generous when making your estimates.
    Make a list of the food your family eats on a regular basis and store your food with that list in mind.
    Keep an eye open for sales at bulk food stores like Costco, and gradually build up your food supply.
    Steps to prepping a two year food storage supply - usCrow

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Why should you be canning?

Even if you are not a prepper you almost certainly have a family. Canning your family’s food means their food will be BPA free, preservative free, and healthy with no harmful preservatives added. If you’re into the ‘green thing’, canning your own food makes less of an impact on the environment by reducing waste since mason jars are reusable. In addition to the health and environmental benefits of canning your food, canning also saves your household money. These benefits make canning essential for getting your survival bunker stocked.

Continued Reading: Introduction to Canning for Preppers - usCrow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.