Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Food Storage Basics

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Food Storage Basics

15 Common Beans and Legumes For Food Storage

April 21, 2014, by Ken Jorgustin

An important part of a long term food storage plan and/or a portion of one’s overall gardening plan are beans & legumes. The bare minimum recommendation of a beans & legumes portion of an overall 1-year food storage inventory is 60-pounds (90-pounds preferred) per adult.

The legume family, of which all beans, peas, lentils, and peanuts are a part, is one of the largest in the plant kingdom. Below is a partial list of 15 common legumes.

Read more…

Black Blade: I have both dry bulk beans and canned beans (red, black, white, kidney and pinto).
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Food Storage Calculator: 1-Year Of Bulk Foods

April 21, 2014, by Ken Jorgustin

Use this food storage calculator to calculate quantities of bulk staple foods based on 1-year of preparedness from recommendations by the church of LDS – a popular source in the realm of food storage.

In an uncertain world there is a certain amount of good sense in planning ahead.

Read more…
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

FOOD STORAGE 101, Date and Rotate

April 23, 2014, by Ken Jorgustin

One of the easiest ways to make your food storage a success is to practice good rotation. Organization and Rotation are the keys to not losing your food storage to spoilage. Being organized enables you to rotate your foods without having to consciously think about doing it.

Let me explain what I mean:

Read more…

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Appetite Fatigue

April 23, 2014, by Ken Jorgustin

Imagine that the worst has happened and the $hit has hit the fan. The supply chains of distribution have been all but non-existent and all of the stores have long since been looted and emptied of their goods.

You’re lying low and you’re staying alive off your own food storage of rice and beans while using a camp-stove and fuel you’ve stored ahead. The thing is, you’re only eating rice and beans. Day after day. Week after week. You only had a few weeks worth of other food varieties and they’re long gone now. All you have left are the several buckets of rice and beans you stored for a long-term disaster.

Don’t be that person who is suffering from appetite fatigue.
    Ask yourself, “Am I going to eat this sh*t day in and day out?”

Read more…

Feedback Score

You certainly should have sored what you will eat. I try to eat and rotate what I have stored. Knowing what wild plants that edible could help prevent a bland diet.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Herbs and spices are cheap enough to buy in quantity. Heck one can buy frontier co-op brand herbs and spices in 1 lb. mylar bags on amazon. I've had very good luck with them and it is cheaper than buying herbs and spices in the store in those little containers and everything I've gotten so far has tasted excellent. Herbs and spices (along with salt, pepper, and hot sauce) help to change the flavor of food so there isn't as much food fatigue. Plus with dehydrated foods, and other staples, ones diet doesn't need to be just beans and rice.

Honeyville has canned items that have a good shelf life, there is mountain house, wise foods, and other brands too. So if all one is storing is beans and rice, well...........
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Also one variety of bean that I have in my storage is Anasazi beans. Another variety is Bolita beans. I bought both through https://www.anasazibeans.com/shopping/beans.html as they have the best prices (that I've found) for those varieties (Bob's red mill sells Anasazi in little packages for a terrible price). The Anasazi beans don't give one as much gas like pinto beans do.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Anasazi beans sounds interesting. I'll be checking them out to make chile.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

stalker1 - Ansazi beans are good for chili. Also they are a bean not commonly seen in stores - that is one reason I bought a large bag from the link listed earlier. Come to think of it, I should get another bag or two just because.

Here is some info from the above site if anyone is curious.
    The Anasazi were Indians who lived in the four corners area (now Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico) dating back to 130 A.D. The are best identified with their substantial architectural achievements known today as "cliff dwellings". Mesa Verde National Park, Hovenweep, Canyon de Chelly and many other dwelling that dot the arid countryside, represent these structures. "Anasazi" is a Navajo word perhaps best translated as "the ancient ones".

Anasazi Beans� were one of the few crops cultivated by the Anasazi. They were found in the ruins by settlers to the four corners area in the early 1900's. Presently they are grown at 7,000 ft. elevation on the same land the Anasazi inhabited.

Anasazi Beans� are considered an unusually tasty baking bean, very scrumptious with ham and flavorful in Mexican dishes. This sweeter and mealier bean will allow many culinary delights! They also contain 75% less of the gas-causing carbohydrates compared to pinto beans!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sniper i will give them a try as they sound good from the nutritional and flavor modes.but less gas? C'mon in certain circles you pay respect for your meal by the gas you pass!LOL! Seriously appreciation in American Indian tribes used to be shown by your belch.spices herbs and salt are the mainstay of food.don't remember but I think the Romans paid their foot soldiers in salt.I use a lot of sea salt but I get using iodized salt also.I been poisoned cause I been eating chile and I haven't farted yet!LOL!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.