Gunco Forums banner

powdered alcohol

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  2ndAmendican 
#1 · (Edited)
Powdered alcohol approval was an error

NEW YORK (AP) — Don't expect powdered alcohol to hit store shelves anytime soon.

A product called "Palcohol" gained widespread attention online in recent days after it was reported that the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau approved the powdered alcohol, including vodka and rum varieties. But a representative for the federal bureau, Tom Hogue, said in an email to The Associated Press late Monday that the approvals were issued in error.

Hogue did not immediately respond to requests for further details, including how the error occurred. In an email message, Palcohol's parent company Lipsmark said "there seemed to be a discrepancy on our fill level, how much powder is in the bag." It said it will resubmit the labels for approval.

According to the website for the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, multiple varieties of Palcohol received "label approval" on April 8. Palcohol said in an email at around 5 p.m. EDT that it agreed to surrender the approvals "a few hours ago."

The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau is a part of the Treasury Department.

Earlier in the day, Palcohol said in an email that its founder Mark Phillips was traveling and unavailable for an interview. It said it wasn't releasing any information on distribution or pricing, and the company's website doesn't provide details on how it makes powdered alcohol.

Robert Lehrman, who runs a beverage law website that initially reported on the product, noted that Palcohol had to have gone through an extensive process before reaching the label approval stage.

"An oversight of this nature does not ring true to me," Lehrman said in a phone interview. He suggested that the bureau may have heard back from lawmakers wanting more information on the powdered alcohols.

The concept of a powdered alcohol isn't new. John Coupland, a professor of food science at Penn State University, noted that there have been multiple patents filed on powdered alcohols over the years. One by General Foods Corp. in the 1970s says the product is made by absorbing the ethanol onto some sort of carbohydrate powder.

On its website, Palcohol says it plans to offer six varieties of powdered alcohol, including vodka, rum and four cocktails — Cosmopolitan, Mojito, Powderita and Lemon Drop. The site says that a package weighs about an ounce and can fit into any pocket. It warns people that the powder should not be snorted.

According to the site, Phillips came up with the idea because he is an "active guy" and wanted a way to enjoy an adult beverage after long hours hiking, biking or camping without having to carry around heavy bottles.

saw today the fda approves then dis-approves of powdered alcohol, talk about a survival requirement, just add water!!!!

can't wait till they get the big envelope they are waiting for a re-approval it

approve then dis-approve sounds like the BATF, oh! thats right the A in BATFstands for alcohol, no wonder it got approved and reversed, they are experts at that

See less See more
#2 ·
How in the hell do you MAKE powdered alcohol? Moonshine capitol of the world would love to know! Really. Here's a pound of powder add water. Shaken not stirred. Are people snorting it yet? Bad idea on all counts.

#3 ·
this is the survival forum not the general discussion forum, I think this is a great idea for survival preparedness

what the f*ck do I care whether someone snorts it, besides if they do thats one less stupid mother f*cker. we gotta start thinning the herd.

#6 ·
But I see no advantage to the powder. Why not buy some 190 proof (like Everclear) and be done with it. You can mix/drink it, use it as a disinfectant, etc. That fancy newfangled powder would take up more space and (I bet) would be much more costly. Also, it would appear that the powder would have to be stored in sealed packs because the alcohol would slowly evaporate.

#10 ·
storing a liquid in a glass container is easier that a powdered envelope?????, powdered alcohol allows you get many types of alcohol, most states do not allow the sale everclear
The wikipedia article [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_powder] sez that the power can be as much as 60 parts alcohol per 160 parts powder by weight. What this means is that the powder is less than 40% alcohol. That does not sound like a very efficient means of storing alcohol and then there is a matter of price. Expect to pay a large premium for the powder.

#9 ·
Sprat I apologize. I did not mean to step on your post.did not mean to demean it.I do see how it could be useful in situations. I just raised a few sons and it freaked me out other kids would be able to get stuff like that. Mine have turned out great BTW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.