Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Make your own fire starter material.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Make your own fire starter material.

On a survival show, damn I cannot get too the links with this computer. But interesting what the guy made.
    He took a small sealable metal can about the size of a tuna can.
    Ripped his cotton bandana in half and placed it in the can then closed it.
    Poked a small little hole in the side of the can and just put it in the fire he had going for a short bit.
    Carefully took the can out.
    After it cooled, contents "cotton bandana half" looked like lantern wickers.
    He took out a small piece and be damned if a small spark did not ignite it. Instant cheap fire starter easily carried.

Now I have not tried this and can not get to the link. But it sure worked on the T.V.. It was that survival guy that walks barefoot. How the hell does he walk barefoot? I could never do that. Hate walking barefoot.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

There's alway the "Fire Piston"

Among preindustrial fire-starting methods, it's hard to beat the portable convenience of fire pistons, used in Southeast Asia since prehistoric times.

Almost all gases heat up when compressed. The harder and the faster the compression, the hotter the gas gets, hot enough even to ignite cotton wool or other flammable materials. Diesel engines work the same way: They have no spark plugs; instead the fuel/air mixture is ignited by compression as the cylinder closes up.

A beautifully made wood-and-metal fire piston (from $65; wildersol.com) designed for lighting campfires or other survivalist needs

More: Fire Pistons

When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yea Tim. I made some char cloth after seeing a live demonstration of how the pioneers made and used it at a Thanks Giving on the Ohio reenactment at Shawnee Lookout Park. William Henry Harrison owned some of the land now owned by the Park. I used a KIWI boot polish can.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Cody Lundin, that is the guy walks barefoot over glass and rock. Friggen nut case even the American Indians wore moccasins. I saw them on T.V. westerns.
    Char cloth that's it Rails. Fire starter piston, now I am going to buy one of them. I like that, lot easier than rubbing the old stick and wood thing. Never could do that one.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Fire piston up and running.

I've made a few different versions since I posted that thread. Still cool as hell.
    member # 575

Feedback Score

I saw that episode where they made the char cloth. Never heard of that or a fire piston. Some good info. Ashhoe, I like that fire piston, I think I'll have to make one. Yeah 4th, you are right, Cody is a nut case!
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score

Cody does break down and wear socks when the temps go below holy crap with 4ft.snow drifts. He slept in a tent or tee pee when he went to college.it's all good advertising for his school I guess.give me a pair of boots ,

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Yeah Cody is a bit off in the head. Thing his partner on the show had enough of him, he quit. Cody is going to end up snake bit in the foot or frost bit amputated. Friggen idiot barefoot. Even cave men wrapped animal skin on their feet. I think? Saw that in Planet of the Apes.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

old denim jean material works the best. use an altoid can to cook the 1" squares in. careful to not let it ignite. i used toothpaste once, and a chocolate bar once, to polish the bottom of a soda can. point it at the sun, hold char cloth 2'' away and concentrate the dot to get the smallest sun spot and it'll light up in seconds.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Im a flint and steel man myself,- flint ,chert, jasper are found in every part of the world and US for that matter, inside of bark, birds nest, willow, shavings, birch bark is flamable, but Duct ( duck) tape is a great fire starter so are potato chips and the bags with the grease( folks used this trick to burn there cars for the insurance in NY years ago, just light a bag of potato chips POOF instant insurance claim

you could cheat and get a mangnesium stick or piece of glass and the suns rays
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.