Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Frugal U.S. consumers make it tough for food companies to raise prices

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The Meat Crisis Is Here: Price Of Shrimp Up 61% – 7 Million Pigs Dead – Beef At All-Time High

theeconomiccollapseblog.com / By Michael Snyder / May 15, 2014

As the price of meat continues to skyrocket, will it soon be considered a “luxury item” for most American families? This week we learned that the price of meat in the United States rose at the fastest pace in more than 10 years last month. Leading the way is the price of shrimp. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the price of shrimp has jumped an astounding 61 percent compared to a year ago. The price of pork is also moving upward aggressively thanks to a disease which has already killed about 10 percent of all of the pigs in the entire country. And the endless drought in the western half of the country has caused the size of the U.S. cattle herd to shrink to a 63 year low and has pushed the price of beef to an all-time high. This is really bad news if you like to eat meat. The truth is that the coming “meat crisis” is already here, and it looks like it is going to get a lot worse in the months ahead.

A devastating bacterial disease called “early mortality syndrome” is crippling the shrimping industry all over Asia right now. According to Bloomberg, this has pushed the price of shrimp up 61 percent over the past 12 months…

In March, shrimp prices jumped 61 percent from a year earlier, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The climb is mainly due to a bacterial disease known as early mortality syndrome. While the ailment has no effect on humans, it’s wreaking havoc on young shrimp farmed in Southeast Asia, shrinking supplies.
    READ MORE
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

Mr Blade. Have any idea what the pig disease is? Is it confined to stock? Our wild pig population down here in S.W. Florida seems as healthy as ever.
    Hunter

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_02 View Post
    Mr Blade. Have any idea what the pig disease is? Is it confined to stock? Our wild pig population down here in S.W. Florida seems as healthy as ever.
    Hunter
    Some virus (Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea virus) that has struck in China and has spread worldwide now. So far only seen in commercial operations where pigs are closely confined.

Killer Pig Virus Wipes Out More Than 10 Percent Of Nation's Hogs, Causing Spike In Pork Prices

Maybe it's in the pig feed:

Feed Is Suspect in Spread of Deadly Pig Virus - WSJ.com

No one knows for sure yet. BTW, had some BBQ pork and baked Yams for dinner tonight. Yum!
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

With the talk of beef prices - it is strange how prices locally vary from store to store. Walmart meat - I don't check there as I don't like the meat sold at walmart. As for Meijer - ground chuck for $3.99/lb on sale (WTF, over?), A local grocer called Dot's has Ground Sirloin for $3.99/lb and the quality of their meat is excellent. Krogers is over $4/lb on most ground meat besides what I call fat trimmings (73/27 and looks pale pink from the fat ). Regular price on ground beef is terrible ($4.50 and up a pound for chuck or better).

As for steaks and roasts - I can buy a whole top sirloin and have it cut the way I want at Dot's for $3.99/lb (one of their sale items this week), so I could have it cut into steaks or a couple of roasts, etc. Last week was T-bone, ribeye, and one other type of steak for $6.99/lb. I bought two t-bones for Mother's Day and they looked more like Porterhouse than t-bones (nice piece of tenderloin on the one side of the bone). I mentioned it to a few others that the t-bones looked as good if not better than the porterhouse (which were $10.99/lb) and the lady behind the counter asked one of the meat cutters if the tray of t-bones were all t-bones, and he said yep. Of course the store is known for its meat counter and I remember this time last year getting ground round and ground sirloin for $2.99/lb there. So prices are definitely going up around here.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

meat is way higher than that here...

its why we do as much deer as possible.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    meat is way higher than that here...

its why we do as much deer as possible.
    I'd rather have the deer meat. I remember one year in 'Bama having 5 deer in the freezer (the deer there are smaller than the deer here in OH).

I wonder why the beef prices around here are lower than where you are located.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

LMAO

Sniper im gonna say its cheaper cause your a bit north of me & the people in that area are more health conscious... down here its not a meal if theres no meat... so they make you pay for it...

yes we do have a great deer population here in Ohio. just got a new upright freezer... so now i gots room to put me some bambi! NOM NOM!
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    LMAO

Sniper im gonna say its cheaper cause your a bit north of me & the people in that area are more health conscious... down here its not a meal if theres no meat... so they make you pay for it...

yes we do have a great deer population here in Ohio. just got a new upright freezer... so now i gots room to put me some bambi! NOM NOM!
    LOL - from seeing the size of some of the people around here they do need to be more health conscious...

As for around my house, supper isn't supper without some meat on the plate.

Feedback Score

We are carnivores by evolution.hell all the cows I eat eat all the vegetables I need. Now I'm ready for a hamburger.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Ocean data points to strong El Nino: climate scientist

Snippit:

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A spike in Pacific Ocean sea temperatures and the rapid movement of warm water eastwards have increased concerns that an El Nino weather pattern this year could be one of the strongest in several decades, an Australian climate scientist said.

El Nino - a warming of sea-surface temperatures in the Pacific - affects wind patterns and can trigger both floods and drought in different parts of the globe, curbing food supply.

A majority of weather forecasting models indicate that an El Nino may develop around the middle of the year, but it was too early to assess its likely strength, the U.N. World Meteorological Organization said on April 15.

Continued: Ocean Data Points Strong El Nino Climate Scientist | First Enercast Financial

Black Blade: We are just entering the El Nino cycle where we should expect dryer conditions for the next few years. Along with rising CPI (including all parameters l not just "core" data) we should expect much higher food prices starting this year. In fact livestock prices have been rising and I have made some money off the "softs" futures but am looking at adding back into some DBA, MOO, COW and RJA shares (maybe even some POT and TNH shares as well). There could be a massive push to produce food from the midwest states to counter the end of food production in California and the Southwest. Of course that will only happen after the current adminstration is out of power and the disaster of crop failures is well underway. I have been adding tomy food storage (mostly rice and dried fruits lately but may harvest a few deer and pronghorn this next year or two for the freezers and maybe some canning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.