Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Solar and Wind Surcharge Bill Passes Legislature - Oklahoma

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Solar and Wind Surcharge Bill Passes Legislature - Oklahoma

Solar and Wind Surcharge Bill Passes Legislature, Awaits Governor's Signature

A rooftop solar panel installation.

A legislative measure that would allow electricity utilities to charge higher rates to customers who generate electricity with small solar installations or wind turbines has passed an Oklahoma House committee and now awaits Gov. Mary Fallin’s signature.

Senate Bill 1456, authored by Sen. A.J. Griffin, R-Guthrie and Rep. Mike Turner, R-Edmond, drew opposition from environmental groups and solar advocates. Existing generators like Herb Hill from Crescent, Okla., are exempt from the bill. But, if signed, the measure could impact future Herb Hills, The Oklahoman‘s Paul Monies reports:

… the 85-year-old utility company retiree has 36 solar panels and a 100-foot-tall wind turbine. He also has a propane-powered emergency generator to back up the electricity from his local electric cooperative.

Hill’s neither a “doomsday prepper” who’s ready to live off the grid, nor a hardcore environmentalist enamored with green energy. He just wants cheap, available electricity to help run his deep freezers and his spa.
    Oklahoma’s major electric utilities, Oklahoma Gas and Electric and Public Service Co. of Oklahoma, backed the bill. The utility industry argues the surcharge is needed because customers who generate electricity are using an existing electric infrastructure without paying for it, Monies reports:

SB 1456 reversed a 1977 law that forbade utilities to charge extra to solar users. The new bill allows regulated utilities to apply to the Oklahoma Corporation Commission for a new class of customers who use distributed generation. The customers would be charged a higher base rate to make up for the infrastructure costs for sending excess electricity back to the grid.
    Nationally, electric utilities see distributive power generation — particularly from rooftop solar — as a threat to their business model. A 2013 report by the Edison Electric Institute, the industry’s trade group, warned of “a day when battery storage technology or micro turbines could allow customers to be electric grid independent.”
    Fights between utilities and solar users over surcharges have popped up in other states, too, including Arizona, California, Hawaii and South Carolina, Monies reports.

Solar and Wind Surcharge Bill Passes Legislature, Awaits Governor's Signature | Public Radio Tulsa

Black Blade: Going "Off Grid" will cost you in Oklahoma now. This is one stupid law. I can see utes not wanting to pay for electricity from these folk but to charge those who go "Off Grid" and who don't use electricity from the utes is nothing short of criminal extortion. This is something I have considered myself but only as a backup to the frequent power outages in my very rural residences.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

How in Hell is that even legal? You guys out there better get on the stick and get busy writing your reps. and bitch about that one.

Seems when you try to do your part to decrease your carbon foot print,,you get penalized for it,,,,WTF?????

That makes NO SENSE!!!!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

this goes hand in hand with the other part we were talking about when i tried to go off the grid......

no one is really interested in saving energy or the planet... its all about control... OF YOU.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score

^ Yeah, that's what it's all about.
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I do remember discussing that with you Dutigaf,,,it's the same for you,,right? An extra charge?

You know one funny thing though?

All these folks that think there doing the planet a world of good by having an electric car,,,

well there NOT,,proven fact;,,the overall environmental impact of an electric car, is far worse than that of a fossil fuel auto.

The mining of the lithium, and manufacture and disposal of the batteries alone is actually more than the impact caused by a comparable midsized car over a 10 year period. No shit! It's a fact.

Tell me now,,where's the advantage in the long run??

Or am I just missing something here?

Then they seem to disregard the manufacture of the vehicle itself with all that plastic and the ultimate disposal of,, MONSTER ,,lithium batteries, and eventually the car! Plus where does all this extra power and upgraded power system to support them supposed to come from? Thin air,,,,OH WAIT,,,,,

solar panels and windmills,,,,WAIT A SECOND,,,,

No environmental impact there either I bet!!! Must be all that doesn't count in the overall scheme of things,,,

FUCKING IDIOTS!!! Do they really think we're that stupid???????

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yes that was pretty much how it was gonna go here....

they havent officially passed this same regulation here yet.. but they made it so expensive & code controlled that you just cant afford to do it unless its new construction & you can design around it...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

It's not just Oklahoma, similar bills are happening in other sun belt states (Like AZ and Hawaii, talks are starting in LA, and TX too) where it is very efficient to use solar. However, these power utility sponsored fees/taxes are aimed specifically at customers who are "grid tied" and thus have system that can sell back excess power when they are generating more than they use. In the last 15 years there have been several incentives passed in nearly all states to support what is called net metering, essentially the right to send excess power back to the grid and get a credit on your bill. In some states they just set it up to run the meter backwards, but in many states the sell back price is lower than the normal usage. If you are totally off grid , i.e. not net metering at all this laws shouldn't affect you. Well at least until the greed pwer companies buy more polticians and tweak the laws again.

This is a great article that explains it in more detail:
    ISLANDS: Hawaii solar boom so successful, it's been halted -- Friday, December 20, 2013 -- www.eenews.net

The future is in more distributed/independent generation, but large customers will always need the grid and it has to be maintained, repaired after storms and upgraded on occasion. That takes some big bucks overtime.
    "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
    - Thomas Alva Edison
    |> Military training/history DVDs: www.loose-cannon.com/military
    Latest eBook: Build Your Own AK: Vol. II

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

^^^^ YES you are correct in that if your totally off the grid they cant charge you for it...

but being able to get off the grid is the problem.

as mentioned... if its a new construction & you dont connnect? its easy... BUT if your already connected is where they are squeezing people.

even if you want to disconnect totally they are making it to where you cant afford to. between the fees for zoning, codes, inspection & then the insurance policy its very very unlikely that you can be successful at this and it be affordable.

do we have members who are off? SURE 1 of my best friends is off the grid completely & i have several other friends who "can be" if they choose to be..

is it financially effective? even for them? NO its not. its because they had to be (no elec available in that area) or for the statement that they could (money not a problem).

no one ive EVER encountered is off the grid & it be cost effective.

our lovely overlords make sure its not.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    this goes hand in hand with the other part we were talking about when i tried to go off the grid......

no one is really interested in saving energy or the planet... its all about control... OF YOU.
    The government proves that every day!!! Sheer insanity. I don't even remotely understand how it's legal to charge ANY customer a different price than another for electricity?!?! You want to see that sh*t repealed quickly. Let a black family claim that they were charged more for electricity than their white neighbors.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Solar? Nope. Wind power?!?!, not that either. Neither are cost effective long term. None of those "green" power solutions are as green or as cost efficient as burning coal, making steam and using that to drive a generator.
    Nukes? better yet but we're all so afraid of it, it needs to be outlawed.
    I say fukitall, I'll hoof it through the woods and eat cattail root pancakes and squirrel stew. It'll suck without Netflix but I think I can handle it.
    member # 575

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.