Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is the price of your morning coffee about to go through the roof?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Is the price of your morning coffee about to go through the roof?

Is the price of your morning coffee about to go through the roof? Fungus has caused $1BILLION worth of damage to beans

dailymail.co.uk / By Associated Press Reporter and Matthew Blake / May 19, 2014

The price of your morning latte, espresso or skinny caramel macchiato with an extra shot could be about to soar due to a killer fungus that is ravaging coffee harvests across Latin America.

Coffee rust, or roya, is a yellow and orange-colored fungus that has devastated coffee fields from Mexico to Peru over the past two years,causing more than $1 billion in damage across the region.

Its damage has become so severe that the U.S. government has launched a $5million drive to help farmers in the worst-hit regions in a desperate bid to save the industry and keep coffee cheap.

But aside from fears over the cost of a cappuccino on the American high street, the real concern is for the thousands of small, family-run farms whose livelihoods hang in the balance after watching entire crops be devoured by the disease.

READ MORE

When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

Good thing I don't drink coffee. Just don't mess with my Diet Pepsi.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

On my list of supplies to pick up today along with cat food, eggs, and fish.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I drink Tea and expensive imported Irish Tea at that, no dog in this fight
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

I'm a big old Teddy Bear, unless you mess with my family, or my coffee, then I'm a big old Grizzly Bear!!! I'm a Folgers Mild Roast/Breakfast Blend guy, and I drink 2 each ten ounce cups every day. Name brand coffee is expensive IMHO as it is, without adding problems like this fungus thing.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

a billion? the big "O" spends that for brunch---!!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I drink a cup of coffee in the morning just to function at 4 am but that's just about it. I tend to drink more Yerba Mate tea with a spoon of raw honey myself.

A habit I picked up while working in South America a few years ago. Usually have a gourd full before working out.

- Black Blade
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

$7 to 8 a box of 80 pyramind bags a habit I picked up in Ireland 20years ago

I have between 2-4 large mugs a day milk & sugar

each bag is meant for a small tea pot with tea cuzzy
    now if we have sugar problem Im pissed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is the price of your morning coffee about to go through the roof?-lyons-gold-tea-bags.jpg  

Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Sprat View Post
    I drink Tea and expensive imported Irish Tea at that, no dog in this fight
    Me too. Coffee was keeping me up since I drank it all day long. I switched to liu cha (green tea). Lots of anti oxidants and I'm sleeping better.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Higher Coffee Prices Kick in at the Supermarket

Snippit:

The moment to hoard cheap coffee beans has passed. The price of coffee futures peaked in April, and those higher commodity costs are now trickling down to grocery stores. J.M. Smucker (SJM) on Tuesday announced that it has increased the price of its packaged coffee, including the country’s best-selling brand, Folgers, as well as packaged Dunkin’ Donuts beans, by an average 9 percent.

The increase will reach millions of coffee drinkers, although for now the company’s K-Cup prices will not be affected. Folgers represents about 14 percent of unit coffee sales in the U.S., according to data from Chicago-based research firm IRI.

Coffee prices spiked after drought hit the crop in Brazil, the world’s largest grower, even though rains have recently eased some of the damage. High-end blends also might be affected by a fungus that is spreading through small farms in Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, and other Latin American countries.

Continued: Higher Coffee Prices Kick in at the Supermarket - Businessweek

Black Blade: Preppers never fear rising prices. Heard it here last month when we warned coffee prices were gonna rise higher. Those who stocked up are set to weather the effects of rising coffee prices...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.