Thread: Another Reason to Go Grassfed: Commercial Cows May Be More Prone to E Coli

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Another Reason to Go Grassfed: Commercial Cows May Be More Prone to E Coli

Another Reason to Go Grassfed: Commercial Cows May Be More Prone to E Coli

thedailysheeple.com / Lily Dane / May 21st, 2014

Escherichia coli (E. coli) has been making the news lately, with recent cases reported in six states so far.

But where does the bacterium come from, and how can infection be avoided?

E. coli has an interesting history. It’s been around, well, probably forever – but the bacteria was first discovered in 1885 by German pediatrician Theodore Escherich. It is a normal resident of the intestines of humans and animals, and usually does no harm. In fact, Escherichia coli can be helpful – it keeps disease-causing bacteria from taking over.

It wasn’t until many decades after its initial discovery that scientists learned that some forms of E. coli are capable of causing serious disease and death.

The strain O157:H7 is the one you hear about in the news because it is the usual culprit in food-borne E. coli outbreaks. It is the third most deadly bacterial toxin, coming in behind the pathogens that cause tetanus and botulism. An epidemic spread by undercooked hamburgers from McDonald’s restaurants in Oregon and Michigan in 1982 led to the discovery of this strain.

So, why are we seeing more frequent – and more widespread – cases of E. coli O157:H7 in recent years?

READ MORE
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

My guess we are seeing it more becasue we are looking for it more.

I don't see why grassfeed would be any different that feed fed. They both shit. The composition of the shit will be a little different, but it is still shit.

I don't like hte taste of grass feed beef. I will keep my corn feed beef that is not allowed to run around the pasture getting all tough.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

i dont eat meat at all anymore unless its wild game.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by o.d. ak View Post
    i dont eat meat at all anymore unless its wild game.
    Pretty much the same here though once in a while I do eat a good ribeye (grass fed beef or buffalo). Generally it's deer, pronghorn, elk or moose and occasionally trout and kokanee.

When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.