Thread: Monsanto seed storage.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Monsanto seed storage.

Seed storage in Norway - Bing Images

On a desolate Arctic island off the coast of Norway is the Svalbard Global Seed Vault, a repository with the capacity to hold up to 2.25 billion seeds in the event of a "doomsday" catastrophe.

When the vault was first built in 2006, more than 100 countries contributed seeds. The concrete building is outfitted with steel airlock doors, fencing and a guard system. At the time of its opening, a BBC article said its backers called it "the most secure building of its type in the world."
    'Doomsday' Svalbard Global Seed Vault Protects World's Food Supply (PHOTOS)

With financing from Bill and Melinda Gates, they have every seed plant from around the world stored. Sealed in cryovac packages and frozen, any world wide disaster we theoretically will still have a seed of that species.
    Good idea, I just do not trust Monsanto.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

yea monsanto will probably spike the seeds with GMO modified seeds --and one day a massive global crop failure--

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Nah, they are just hedging their bets. One day almost ALL crops will be their patents, if/when the time comes we need unmodified heirloom varieties to survive, guess who has the only surviving samples? For the low low price of...

Feedback Score

If you have heirloom varieties you can always grow them every year and let them go to seed.

Does anyone know if heirlooms would get contaminated (cross pollinated) by that GMO crap? I really don't know, chemistry was always my field of expertise and I'm a little light on Botany.

Everyone should have a garden, even the city folks on the roof tops, in a window sill etc. Its good practice to hone your skills and get your thumb all green in preparation for the 'Burning Days".

Hey did you hear about that guy that bought animal feed for real cheap because he did NOT want to pay the higher price for Monsanto GMO seeds. He planted it (corn I think) because he figured it was Monsanto GMO. Well he figured correctly but Monsanto sued him in court and he lost.

Ah Monsanto, the website says "Monsanto- a sustainable Agriculture Company"

Can anyone tell me how making plants that do not produce viable seeds is "sustainable"?

Doesn't sound like a value added feature for anything except Monsanto's profit margin.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

STG correct, you have to go back too Monsanto to get your seed I guess?. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Recent good made for T.V. movie about that. Monsanto was not mentioned but it did not take much imagination. Large grower was playing with Monsanto's seeds somehow, I kind of lost it. He got them cloned and was getting blackmailed for doing it. Seed company had a contract that he could not do that, get your seeds from us for next year or loose your farm.
    True, false, hell I do not know sounded logical? I stress on watering the lawn.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.