Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Solution To Record Meat Prices: The Return Of Pink Slime

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Soylent Green
    I was thinking the same thing LOL

Yea I have noticed ground burger has not been as good as it used to be also .

I used to think the grocery stores ground it. I used to see them do it as as a kid I guess its changed ?

Feedback Score

[QUOTE=BackAgain;745719]Find a local farmerQUOTE]

We have a local farmer that also butchers. I can go in and buy anything form a whole beeve to a single steak. With the game we eat, it's usually a single steak.
    Hunter

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

[QUOTE=hunter_02;745782]
    Quote Originally Posted by BackAgain View Post
    Find a local farmerQUOTE]

We have a local farmer that also butchers. I can go in and buy anything form a whole beeve to a single steak. With the game we eat, it's usually a single steak.
    Hunter
    Which is essentialy a great idea, all we would be doing is skipping the supermarkets incredible markup profit. Hell the ranchers are not getting wealthy, their making a living. It is the supermarkets making some bucks. Now I have read where they only mark up like 1.5%? Possibly on meat, poultry and fish items possibly not. But someone is marking up that damn beef price by the time we purchase?
    Shipping, butchering, whatever I do not know. biggun was in the business maybe he can best answer? But going direct to a local rancher, may just be the future. Nappy, under pressure from retailers, for sure want a stop to that. Lobbyist's will jump on that cost savings.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

my own hamburger made from my own bovines , you can fry it and make hamburgers out of it, then leave it in the fridg overnight, the next day take that burger out and eat it. yummy-- tastes like a steak too.

now try that same thing with grocery store hamburger--

it fry up OK but lots and lots of water comes out and it shrinks-- if you eat it right then before it cools off it is just OK--

put it in a fridg overnight and it will turn BLACK-- and hard as a hocky puck.

certainly some kind of chemical reaction to all those antibiotics in the feed and the chemicals their treating the beef with.

now ya know why those black angusus are roaming around on my back 40--- LOL

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I was thinking the same thing LOL

Yea I have noticed ground burger has not been as good as it used to be also .

I used to think the grocery stores ground it. I used to see them do it as as a kid I guess its changed ?
    1biggun - depends on the grocery store. If you have a Kroger nearby - they grind the burger that is sold in the meat counter case. The majority of the burger that is prepackaged there is already done and brought in (there are some exceptions to that). Meijer grinds meat (burger) and sells it in the meat counter case. In the prepackaged stuff - if it is packaged with a black styrofoam container it was ground in store, packaged in a white styrofoam container meant it was done somewhere else. Now supposedly neither of those stores allow in any products with pink slime. Walmart meat - I'll pass as I haven't ever had any good meat from walmart. Now there is a local market called Dot's, they grind all of the ground meat they sell (inlcuding make ground pork and a store version of sausage). Never have used pink slime (I've asked more than once). The meat they sell tastes great - but then they are a small grocery store and known for their meat counter.
    When I lived in Bama - both Winn Dixie and Publix sold meat ground in store - haven't been to Bama in a few years so hard to say if it is still the case. Also for those that can get on base and go to the commissary - the majority of their ground meat is ground on the premises.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Still store done around here too, especially by the local ,,and Only store in town,,our town only has a titch over 1100 people,,,and were out numbered by livestock here 100 to 1, so local meat isn't hard to come by !!! Local meat and produce is best by far and it don't really cost much more at all, especially now, plus ya just know who grew it and it helps the local economy besides.

I think a couple guys here can attest to the good tasting local Maple Syrup from here in town!!

I've always put up canned goods ect for hard times, so some stuff you really need for long term you have to read the labels on and ,,,surprisingly enough some of the Great Value(Wally World) brands are just as good and sometimes better than some of the higher end canned veggies/fruits ect available, ya just got to check the labels. In many case's there even packaged by the same folks that charge more under there own label for the same product. Some can codes are even the same. What there not telling you is a worry somewhat , but at least here in Vt there going to start labeling GMO products pretty soon, so that will help.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

McDonald's Use Of Ammonium Hydroxide To 'Wash' Meat Angers Chef Jamie Oliver, But They're Not The Only Culprit [video]

picture of pink slime

Chef Jamie Oliver may have won the battle with McDonald's in 2011, over their use of ammonium hydroxide, but he has yet to win the war. Although McDonald's stated that the company would discontinue using ammonium hydroxide in their hamburger recipe, it's still unclear if they are using the trimmings that turn into the so-called "pink slime." What's more, ammonium hydroxide is still used throughout food production.

Since Oliver's TV series Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution premiered in March 2010 on ABC, he has brought attention to the food industry's gross production techniques, and how these processes interfere with children's health.

Using his series as a platform, Oliver has called McDonald's food "unfit for consumption." He exposed the "pink-slime process," which involves grinding all of the unwanted trimmings and fat from the beef, washing it in ammonium hydroxide — these parts of the meat apparently have the most bacteria — then using it as hamburger filler, according to Documentary Lovers. He even said that it's in at least 70 percent of products. "That kind of puts it. ... Everywhere."

Read More: Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria Much More Prevalent Than CDC Estimates: Can Scientists Stop The New Superbugs?

"Basically, we're taking a product that would be sold in the cheapest way for dogs, and after this process, is being given to human beings," Oliver said on the show. "Why would any sensible human being put meat filled with ammonia in the mouths of their children?"
    Follow Us

In the 2011 statement, McDonald's said:

"Burgers are at the heart of the Golden Arches, and the fact is, McDonald's USA serves 100% USDA-inspected beef- no preservatives, no fillers, no extenders- period.

"For a number of years prior to 2011, to assist with supply, McDonald's USA used some lean beef trimmings treated with ammonia in our burgers. We were among other food retailers who used this safe product.

"At the beginning of 2011, we made a decision to stop using this ingredient. It has been out of the McDonald's USA supply chain since August of 2011. We wanted to be consistent with our global beef supply chain and we're always evolving our practices."
    What Is Ammonium Hydroxide And Is It Dangerous?

Ammonium hydroxide is a colorless liquid chemical solution that is essentially ammonia dissolved in water. Found in cleaning solutions, it's also used in much higher concentrations to kill dangerous bacteria, such as salmonella and E. coli, in food. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) classified it as a Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) substance in 1974, saying that "concentrations of ammonia and ammonium compounds normally present in food do not suggest a health risk; ammonia and ammonium ions are recognized to be integral components of normal metabolic processes."

Read More: McDonald's 'Mega Potato' Tops The Calories Chart

The NY State Department of Health says that ammonia "serves as a precursor for amino acid and nucleotide synthesis." But even though they're part of our biological processes, the FDA imposed limits. Foods such as puddings, gelatins, cheeses, and baked goods may all be processed with ammonium hydroxide as long as concentrations are within the limits of 0.6-0.8 percent. Other ammonia-based compounds are also used to treat condiments, relishes, non-alcoholic beverages, and reconstituted vegetables. By comparison, concentrations of ammonia solutions in household cleaning products are between five and 10 percent and up to 25 percent in products made for industrial use.

"Ammonia's not an unusual product to find added to food," Gary Acuff, director of Texas A&M University's Center for Food Safety, said, at a press conference hosted by Beef Products Inc. last year. "We use ammonia in all kinds of foods in the food industry."

Kraft foods, maker of Chips Ahoy and Velveeta cheese have also used small amounts of ammonium hydroxide — it helps to balance acidity in chocolates and cheeses, according to Reuters.

Oliver explains that the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the FDA consider this meat "washing" to be a "component in a production procedure," rather than an ingredient in the meat, and because of this, consumers don't have to know that their food has been treated with it.

While it's important to know what processes our food goes through, and especially what's inside, it's also important to refrain from exaggerating. Regardless, Oliver's campaign raised awareness to the idea that many people don't want the, dirtiest, cheapest, throwaway parts of the meat.

You can check out the scene in which Oliver describes the process, albeit with some exaggeration, below.

"To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by BackAgain View Post
    Find a local farmer that is raising grass fed beef and buy a 1/4, 1/2, or whole cow. My wife and I did that last year the price per pound was better than the store and the beef is absolutely delicious. So much better than store bought meat that we are buying a pig and chickens from that same farmer now.

If you are unhappy with what the store has there are alternatives. You may have to search them out but they are there.

We raise, can, and freeze fruits and vegetables and not only do they taste better but they are better for us. No chemicals, no fertilizers other than compost, no pesticides or herbicides. Is it more work than buying at the store? Yes, but in the long run we are making ourselves more self reliant and eating better.
    You almost have it right. Screw that grass feed stuff though. You need to try grass feed vs. corn feed beef. You will wonder why you ever thought grass feed beef was any good. I don't want my cow walking all around the pasture getting old and tough. Keep them in a pen, pet there head while feeding them some good old corn. Keep the meet from getting all tough, and fattens them up quicker. A Happy cow is a tasty cow. The younger they are the tastier they are as well. Shoot to fill them out in about 18 months. I buy my meat from a buddy. The pig is to die for. The pig at the store is just awefull. Feed an animal trash, and it will taste like trash.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

yep once you get away from disney and the coastal areas florida is one of the largest beef producing states, Im surrounded by cattle farms and citrus farms, in a few weeks it is back to hog hunting and surf fishing, gonna start turkey hunting

this sh*t is spooky, coils is right Soylent green is almost here
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 00redZX-6R View Post
    You almost have it right. Screw that grass feed stuff though. You need to try grass feed vs. corn feed beef. You will wonder why you ever thought grass feed beef was any good. I don't want my cow walking all around the pasture getting old and tough. Keep them in a pen, pet there head while feeding them some good old corn. Keep the meet from getting all tough, and fattens them up quicker. A Happy cow is a tasty cow. The younger they are the tastier they are as well. Shoot to fill them out in about 18 months. I buy my meat from a buddy. The pig is to die for. The pig at the store is just awefull. Feed an animal trash, and it will taste like trash.
    I won't challenge your personal experience, but the beef we have gotten from my friend is the most tender, tasteful, beef I have ever eaten. I would hazard a guess they aren't in a huge several hundred, or several thousand, acre pasture. I can tell you I have had corn fed beef and it is good too.

I guess my point more than anything was if you want to know what is being fed the meat you eat go to the source and ask and watch. Otherwise you will never know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.