Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Solution To Record Meat Prices: The Return Of Pink Slime

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default The Solution To Record Meat Prices: The Return Of Pink Slime

The Solution To Record Meat Prices: The Return Of Pink Slime

zerohedge.com / Tyler Durden / 05/25/2014 10:29 -0400

A few months ago we reported that while the Fed is seeing nothing but hedonic deflation as far as the eye can see, food prices – for whatever reason but “certainly not” due to trillions in liquidity entering a close system so just blame it on the weather – were soaring to record highs. Among them was the price of beef, which in 2014 alone has soared by the most in over a decade. This led the US Department of Agriculture to warn of “sticker shock” facing home chefs on the eve of the Memorial Day holiday weekend, the unofficial start of the U.S. summer grilling season.

According to the USDA, reported by Reuters, conditions in California could have “large and lasting effects on U.S. fruit, vegetable, dairy and egg prices,” as the most populous U.S. state struggles through what officials are calling a catastrophic drought. Alas, the USDA had nothing to say about the Fed’s unprecedented desire to reflate the US economy which is still suffering from the catastrophic depression which started nearly 7 years ago.

More:

The consumer price index (CPI) for U.S. beef and veal is up almost 10 percent so far in 2014, reflecting the fastest increase in retail beef prices since the end of 2003. Prices, even after adjusting for inflation, are at record highs.
    READ MORE

When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

It seems like the GB I have been getting for the last year is crap. It is marked 70/30 or 80/20 and just isn't the same quality it use to be. What else are they doing to the beef?
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by railbuggy View Post
    It seems like the GB I have been getting for the last year is crap. It is marked 70/30 or 80/20 and just isn't the same quality it use to be. What else are they doing to the beef?
    Probably not the poor ranchers fault. But I bought some sirloin steaks the other day at our local market, which usually has real good cuts of meat.
    Not really overly concerned about the price, I can't control that. But WTF I could not even chew this stuff, I heaved it to the friggen fish in the canal. Think they choked on it, gator let is sink and would not eat it. Hell they eat anything, not this crap. WTF is going on?
    Plus I notice pork is so friggen lean it tastes like friggen cardboard.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Y'all ain't making me hungry.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by stalker1 View Post
    Y'all ain't making me hungry.
    Look at the link BB has stalker who put that how it is made. Well it was a bit biased as the scandal on Micky Ds let us in on. 3rd box over, they say mixed with other fillers. Let your imagination run on what those other fillers are.
    Mickey Ds had 85 percent fillers in their burgers. Rest was cow hooves, cow tails ears eyes bone and basic animal scrap they did not want in damn dog food. Like them cheap Mickey D burgers? We were eating one step down from animal feed.
    Their fighting to recover, new menu they have is advertising pure beef burgers. Hell I don't trust the store ground beef much more. Prices keep rising, people cannot afford meat and it may balance down in price?
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

Find a local farmer that is raising grass fed beef and buy a 1/4, 1/2, or whole cow. My wife and I did that last year the price per pound was better than the store and the beef is absolutely delicious. So much better than store bought meat that we are buying a pig and chickens from that same farmer now.

If you are unhappy with what the store has there are alternatives. You may have to search them out but they are there.

We raise, can, and freeze fruits and vegetables and not only do they taste better but they are better for us. No chemicals, no fertilizers other than compost, no pesticides or herbicides. Is it more work than buying at the store? Yes, but in the long run we are making ourselves more self reliant and eating better.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Florida is a major player in the beef industry. Florida is also a major rustling victim state. They use small helicopters to patrol their large ranches.
    With beef prices on the rise, I would not doubt rustlers will get more active.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

What else are they doing to the beef?
    Soylent Green

I've noticed that hamburger (ground beef) has been going down in quality for a few years.
    And the prices of meats have been climbing for a while. The first thing I noticed was the local stores stopped putting meats on sale like they use too, hell every month they use to put some type of meat on sale for half price or close to it, last year they only did it twice and I don't think they did it at all this year yet.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

4th I didn't know Florida was big in the cattle business.Virginia is too.I really don't go to mickey d's that much and knowing i'll be taking a bite out of a cows ass doesn't make me want to go there for lunch tomorrow! LOL

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Like many other classic american products that are no longer made like they used to make them (Levis, Craftsman, Revere, Pyrex, etc.) the ground beef in hamburgers seems to be going away quickly. A few chains are still making good products (In N Out), are there others in your part of the country that are faithful to the quality of days past? Curious...
    "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
    - Thomas Alva Edison
    |> Military training/history DVDs: www.loose-cannon.com/military
    Latest eBook: Build Your Own AK: Vol. II

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.