Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Shelf Life of Commercially Canned Foods

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default The Shelf Life of Commercially Canned Foods

Posted before by BB I think, but interesting anyway.
    "stored cans naelyn@flickr 200x266 The Shelf Life of Commercially Canned FoodsA reader asked me the other day about how long canned food stays good, and whether or not the ‘use by’ dates were particularly accurate. I figured the answer to that question would be interesting to more than just him…"
    The Shelf Life of Commercially Canned Foods - Survival Blog With A Family Focus

Generally speaking commercially canned foods are good for two to five years from the date they were packed. Of course the date they were packed and the ‘use by’ date stamped on the can are usually only vaguely related.
    The Shelf Life of Commercially Canned Foods - Survival Blog With A Family Focus

Canned or jarred food was found close to 100 years after the Admiral Byrd expedition to the North Pole I believe it was he went too? It was opened and eaten by some braver souls than me. They said it was fine. Their still breathing, so if your cans are not swollen or rusted through, eat up.
    Read on the vitamin content dissipation, that is interesting. Well at least you wont die of starvation, just vitamin deficiency.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Well I can tell you I've already ate canned food that were about a year out of date, tasted normal to me. Now I wouldn't buy any that was out of date, they would have to give it away
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Modern commercial cans are coated on the inside with a plastic that keeps the can from corroding. Since the plastic is thin and imperfect that can will eventually corrode away from the inside. Same goes for sada pop cans. And the can companies are always looking for a better easier cheaper faster solution. Remember when sada pop had no expiration date? Now try drinking a 3 month can of coke.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Apparently Uncle Sam thought WWII was going to last longer than it did and ordered too much food, C-Rats were still being issued for training as late as the 1980s with WWII pack dates on them. Heck, some guys even reported gettting the 1930s version before they were even called C Rats!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Apparently Uncle Sam thought WWII was going to last longer than it did and ordered too much food, C-Rats were still being issued for training as late as the 1980s with WWII pack dates on them. Heck, some guys even reported gettting the 1930s version before they were even called C Rats!
    Yep, we were eating them back in the 1970s.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

I was in the Army from 82'-85'. We had C-rats then they switched to the MRE's. Better food at the time.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Member#348

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default The C-Rat diet plan, true story.

Their is no better diet plan than C-Rats. Kind of a funny story on them.
    Our Battalion consisted of 4 companies with one company having the C.O. of the Battalion stationed with them on a mountain top perimeter. Other 3 were usually within site on nearby small outpost perimeters set up on mountain tops.
    Rotation brought a company too the C.O.s perimeter and hot food was flown in once every day if possible. Other 3 companies ate C-Rats if possible to re-supply, if not you went hungry, we called it Uncle Sams diet plan.
    Well one bright nothing happening sunny day and the motley crew of Charlie company was doing nothing but get a tan and basically do nothing. Who the F#$K is that screaming, holy sheeeeeeeeet this is not good. Uh oh.
    The Major, Colonel whoever the frig the Battalion C.O. was came out of his bunker H.Q. and was screaming like a pissed off hyena. WTF dude calm down. What happened?
    Well some NVA in full uniform and helmet, nice fully loaded full auto AK decided he was not wanting to fight anymore. He walked right through the perimeter of us mo-ron motley crew guys. Saw the American flag flying over a bunker, assumed correctly this must be the guy to have a chat with about not fighting for Uncle Ho anymore, yeah hell he looks like the boss?
    Holy sheeeeet did he scare the dog piss out of that C.O. Like heart attack scared. Yupper that was it for us mo-rons in Charlie company for our rotation of hot food. Hell I bet the Victor Charlie spoke English and asked one of the Troops where the C.O. was? "Over by the flag dude, what's up with the black uniform?"
    Yup 7 months of C-Rats followed that FUBAR. Ah hell was kind of funny but not to that C.O., I think he changed his underwear.
    Last edited by 4thIDvet; 06-02-2014 at 09:00 AM. Reason: ADD header title
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I will eat canned food at least a year beyond the date, same with dry goods like mac n cheese. recently I openned some mac n cheese from 2010 the cheese turned a dark mustard color and did not taste good, but I ate some but thought better of it, and gave the rest a heave, as the articles state the vitamin value and favor start to deteriorate

Ivory soap my grandmother owned a grocery store growing up, she shut down circa 1970, what ever did not sell she stored in the basement, last year my uncle was clearly out the crap in the cellar and found a case of white Ivory soap you know the "marlyn chambers" kind. so I started using it, it worked like a charm and lathered up good enough to shave
    soda my uncle also found a few 6 packs of soda ( pop) cans, they were empty the contents evaported
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Back at Parris Island in '82, we had 1960's C-rats that still had the cigarettes in them. P.I. had literally stopped letting the recruits smoke about 2 months before I got there. When we were in the field and eating c-rats, the DI's would come around and collect all the cigarettes. Most times I found menthol anyway. LOL.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

if you've ate c-rats then youve ate 10 year old++ canned food.

i can recall getting c-rats that were made in the 1970s in the late 1980s!

wally-martz is still selling 10+ year old canned food.

every once in a while i run across a can with no bar code -- when did bar codes come in? the 1970s--??--LOL!

now the trick is to get fresh canned foods for your survival hooch. then you got a storage life that as as good as the cans will last.

maybe not 100% tasty , vitiman filled or fresh --but still suitable for survival.

i remember the old c-rats were chalk full of extra stuff like C , A, and what not-- this is probably so that even when very old you still get a daily does--

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

commercial canned food shelf life

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.